Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TPI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/)
-   -   no power (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/196139-no-power.html)

JohnS 08-13-2003 03:17 AM

no power

this is weird ok,I usually stay off the freeway if I can,but in So-Cal its nearly impossible,my problem is when i'm going on a straight flat freeway the car has good power,but if the freeway is going uphill my car nearly dies,i'll be going 75 before the incline and half way uphill i'm at 50 at WOT and the car shakes!anybody know what is causing this?Thanks

kevinc 08-13-2003 12:57 PM

How old is your fuel filter?

The symptoms sound like fuel delivery, so focus on ruling out the filter (easy swap) and then the fuel pump. A pressure gauge will tell you what's going on.

JohnS 08-14-2003 01:17 AM

i changed the fuel filter already,i've only had the car 1year,so i'm not sure when the pump was last changed.sometimes when i start up in the morning it will rev @1500rpm's then nearly stall,then back to 1500 and nearly stall again,but after that it runs fine.also the SES light comes on after about 20 minutes on the freeway,then turn the car off and back on,and SES doesn't come back on.

kevinc 08-14-2003 07:57 AM

Let us know what the pressure gauge says.

JohnS 08-15-2003 03:07 AM

i don't have a pressure gauge,i'll see this weekend if i can find a cheap one or see if any friends have one.

Viprklr 08-15-2003 05:29 AM

Originally posted by JohnS
also the SES light comes on after about 20 minutes on the freeway,then turn the car off and back on,and SES doesn't come back on.
Check your codes to be sure but this particular order for the light is usually indicative of an O2 sensor. I don't see how an O2 sensor would cause the problems your having, though. Maybe you have 2 problems.

CamaroStud1988 08-15-2003 07:12 PM

um, maybe its staying in 5th," if u have a 5th?" does it ever have any downshifting problems or anything?

JohnS 08-15-2003 11:40 PM

i pretty sure the o2 is bad,i have a very strong gas smell when i turn the car off and bad gas milage.transmission shifts ok,its a little jerky whenever i touch the gas,normal street driving its fine in D,but if i drive around in OD it feels like my old 2.8 V6.could the overdrive gear be worn out?Thanks for all the help

kevinc 08-16-2003 08:22 AM

Originally posted by kevinc
Let us know what the pressure gauge says.
Let us know what the pressure gauge says. :)

Pimpinfolyfe 08-19-2003 09:01 AM

Originally posted by JohnS
i changed the fuel filter already,i've only had the car 1year,so i'm not sure when the pump was last changed.sometimes when i start up in the morning it will rev @1500rpm's then nearly stall,then back to 1500 and nearly stall again,but after that it runs fine.also the SES light comes on after about 20 minutes on the freeway,then turn the car off and back on,and SES doesn't come back on.
my car has the problem about the SES light its my EGR valve...nothin big and worth replacing...just puts exhaust into ur intake...i dont htink ur SES code has anything to do with ur motor goin up hill...

CC 08-19-2003 11:55 PM

Sounds like the ignition module is going.