Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TPI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/)
-   -   smog equipment delete, will this cause engine light (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/372986-smog-equipment-delete-will.html)

stangStomper83 06-23-2006 09:57 PM

smog equipment delete, will this cause engine light

i want to get rid of all that air injection crap to clean up the engine bay, will this cause a check engine light

Brisk 06-23-2006 11:10 PM

not sure... but so far mine has not

GuitarJunki17 06-23-2006 11:15 PM

Not on my 1990 Iroc. Smog pump and air tubes are gone, as well as other miscellanious crap.

3.8TransAM 06-24-2006 05:19 PM

No CE light will activate.

However for proper operation of the rest of the systems, you should have a custom chip made to completely disable the AIR settings as they do affect the 02 sensor when active. Its an offset

later
Jeremy

Kevin91Z 06-25-2006 04:20 PM

The ECM only monitors the EGR to make sure its working. That said, removing your emissions equipment from a street car is a federal offense, regardless of your state's emissions rules. If caught, you can be punished by a fine, jail time, or both.

johnny89345 05-31-2009 10:33 PM

Re: smog equipment delete, will this cause engine light

you can remove everything but the egr i would leave that to prevent any problems

brians88gta 06-01-2009 12:48 AM

pull all that junk out and unhook the egr valve ive deleted the whole tpi system no codes on stock ecu

gurkgurkgurk 06-01-2009 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z (Post 2952369)
The ECM only monitors the EGR to make sure its working. That said, removing your emissions equipment from a street car is a federal offense, regardless of your state's emissions rules. If caught, you can be punished by a fine, jail time, or both.

kevin we keep on doing this little dance, illegal versus street legal. lets just agree to dissagree.

yes, its illegal to tamper with emissions stuff yadda yadda

but

yes, it gets in the way. yes you can remove all that stuff and still pass smog, yes, itll clean up the engine bay.

but the decision is up to you.

and no it wont set off a CEL

johnny89345 06-01-2009 01:19 AM

i have a ? how many block off plates do i need when i remove the rest of my emmisions. i know 1 for the egr and wheres the other also where can i get these plates. also what do i do about the vacume line that goes to the egr

afremont 06-01-2009 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by gurkgurkgurk (Post 4175867)
... yes you can remove all that stuff and still pass smog.....

It certainly won't pass a visual inspection anywhere legitimate, so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

gurkgurkgurk 06-01-2009 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by afremont (Post 4175964)
It certainly won't pass a visual inspection anywhere legitimate, so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

sorry, i meant, it could still pass smog where visual inspections arent done or enforced very well

brians88gta 06-01-2009 08:47 PM

in some states they only look 4 a catalitic converter and do tail pipe emisions and check engine light for 95 and after

rgarcia63 06-01-2009 10:36 PM

The EGR doesn't use engine vacuum, it source is throttle body ported vacuum nothing else should be using that port's vacuum.

johnny89345 06-01-2009 11:28 PM

so what do i do just block that vacume line that goes from the egr to the plenum

Kevin91Z 06-02-2009 01:08 AM

Keep the stuff on your car. Eventually Obama is going to make every state do emissions testing as he tries to create a happy green USA for us all to live in. If you dont have the parts its going to cost you a LOT of money to buy them again.

Also, in the meantime, every time you remove your emissions devices, you are telling the smog-nazis that the current laws are not tough enough to stop you, so now they have to write tougher laws that affect the rest of us. Thanks a lot!

We here in SoCal have proven that you can have a fast TPI car and still pass the emissions test. You dont have to remove anything because its not going to give you much gain, if anything at all. I removed my a/c and I can access both sides of my engine very easily, even with the AIR lines.

Justin89Formy 06-02-2009 06:08 AM

apparently they put something in the water in California to brainwash people :D

afremont 06-02-2009 07:58 AM

Kevin91Z is right. Emissions testing is not going away, eventually it will be in your county no matter where you live. I'm proud that my 20 year old car runs cleaner and gets better mileage than a brand new pickup.

Justin89Formy 06-02-2009 12:05 PM

im certain that after a certain age there will be exceptions to the laws...

1quik4 06-02-2009 02:01 PM

Here in Ontario, anything '88 and newer must have an emissions test every other year....

brians88gta 06-02-2009 04:13 PM

in tennessee anything after 74 has to go thru emissions accept 1 tons and diesiels

Seanmay1 06-02-2009 10:49 PM

smog pump, air tubes, and cat are gone on mine and no problems from that. Still have the EGR hooked up though

hassgrant 09-06-2022 02:00 PM

I removed my smog pump this weekend as it froze up on me. I left the metal tubing that goes into the manifolds but capped them (x3) with 1/2 iron pipe caps.

My check engine light came on.

Any suggestions?

Do you have to do anything with the two plugs that were unplugged?

aliceempire 09-06-2022 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by hassgrant (Post 6478391)
I removed my smog pump this weekend as it froze up on me. I left the metal tubing that goes into the manifolds but capped them (x3) with 1/2 iron pipe caps.

My check engine light came on.

Any suggestions?

Do you have to do anything with the two plugs that were unplugged?

Find out what the code is and start there. The Airpump won't be the direct cause of the light.

Vader 09-06-2022 06:55 PM

Good advice. The speed-density system from '91 should not be looking for the electrical load (35-50Ω) from the port or divert solenoids as a later ECM/PCM would. Don't be surprised if the OČ sensor is reporting lean, potentially from a leak in the caps you installed on the air injection fittings. The threads are not NPT, so a standard pipe cap may not seal very well.

BizJetTech 09-07-2022 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by T.L. (Post 6478430)
I try to tell people that and they just ignore me. The threads are 1/2"-20. People refer to the fittings as 5/16" inverted flare. Well the flare may be 5/16", but the threads are 1/2"-20 which is a bolt thread, NOT a pipe thread...

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...b5b7e826ea.jpg

Here is what you need to plug holes in manifolds.......

or this.....

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...854912&jsn=255

mikeceli 09-07-2022 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z (Post 2952369)

AND, in Cali, they will release a kidnapper/rapist/murderer, to make room for YOU!

BizJetTech 09-07-2022 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by T.L. (Post 6478526)
Or these (and that's not rust. It's copper-colored anti-seize)...

Looks good, I like those, do you have a mfgr name and # or P/N ??