Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TPI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/)
-   -   Potential fuel pressure issue (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/674833-potential-fuel-pressure-issue.html)

Dartht33bagger 03-07-2013 08:01 PM

Potential fuel pressure issue

I've got the stock 305 TPI in my car. Around June of last year, I noticed my car acting weird - especially on hills. When I start to give the car more throttle (to climb a hill or accelerate quicker), sometimes the engine drops a few hundred RPMs. The more gas I give it, the lower the RPMs drop. Sometimes, letting off the gas and getting back on the gas fixes the issue. Other times, the engine will correct itself and raise about 500-600 RPMs in a matter of seconds without me changing the amount of throttle I'm giving the engine.

On even more rare occasions, the car will jump between about 1800 and 2000 RPM's while climbing hills every second. Giving more throttle bogs the engine down more, so usually I just keep the throttle constant while I make my way up the hill bouncing between those two RPMs. Once I reach the top of the hill, the car usually corrects itself and raises about 500-600 RPMs to where the engine should be running at.

So after almost a year of this, I'd like to fix this. It's a sporadic issue that doesn't happen every time time I climb a hill or give the car a lot of throttle, but it happens often enough that it's getting annoying. And every time it happens I wonder if the car will die while I'm climbing a hill or merging onto the freeway. I'm thinking it's a fuel pressure issue (fuel pressure regulator maybe), but I thought I'd come and ask about it on here before I start tearing into my car.

ninetyone 03-07-2013 11:03 PM

Re: Potential fuel pressure issue

Originally Posted by Dartht33bagger (Post 5507438)
I've got the stock 305 TPI in my car. Around June of last year, I noticed my car acting weird - especially on hills. When I start to give the car more throttle (to climb a hill or accelerate quicker), sometimes the engine drops a few hundred RPMs. The more gas I give it, the lower the RPMs drop. Sometimes, letting off the gas and getting back on the gas fixes the issue. Other times, the engine will correct itself and raise about 500-600 RPMs in a matter of seconds without me changing the amount of throttle I'm giving the engine.

On even more rare occasions, the car will jump between about 1800 and 2000 RPM's while climbing hills every second. Giving more throttle bogs the engine down more, so usually I just keep the throttle constant while I make my way up the hill bouncing between those two RPMs. Once I reach the top of the hill, the car usually corrects itself and raises about 500-600 RPMs to where the engine should be running at.

So after almost a year of this, I'd like to fix this. It's a sporadic issue that doesn't happen every time time I climb a hill or give the car a lot of throttle, but it happens often enough that it's getting annoying. And every time it happens I wonder if the car will die while I'm climbing a hill or merging onto the freeway. I'm thinking it's a fuel pressure issue (fuel pressure regulator maybe), but I thought I'd come and ask about it on here before I start tearing into my car.

Have you tested the injectors yet?

Dartht33bagger 03-07-2013 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by ninetyone (Post 5507600)
Have you tested the injectors yet?

I have not. I checked the technical articles and didn't see anything about testing fuel injectors. I Googled "how to test fuel injectors" and found a few that said check the resistance of the fuel injectors with an OHM meter. Is this a good method? If it is, what kind of resistance would tell me if the fuel injector is good or bad?

ninetyone 03-08-2013 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dartht33bagger (Post 5507636)
I have not. I checked the technical articles and didn't see anything about testing fuel injectors. I Googled "how to test fuel injectors" and found a few that said check the resistance of the fuel injectors with an OHM meter. Is this a good method? If it is, what kind of resistance would tell me if the fuel injector is good or bad?

Dartht33bagger 03-08-2013 05:37 PM

Alright, I got out there today and got these readings:

Cylinders 1,2,3,4,5,7 all had readings of 16.3 or 16.2 (they jumped between the two)

Cylinder #6 had a reading of 15.3 and cylinder #8 had a reading of 15.9.

Is the 1 ohm difference on cylinder 6 giving me issues?

southbay08 03-09-2013 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dartht33bagger (Post 5508165)

Cylinders 1,2,3,4,5,7 all had readings of 16.3 or 16.2 (they jumped between the two)

Cold they look good, check them hot to see if the readings are the same

southbay08 03-09-2013 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dartht33bagger (Post 5508165)

1 0r 2 ohm's arte within spec

Dartht33bagger 03-09-2013 07:37 PM

I went out for a 10 minute drive today and got the car up to temperature. Came back and took some measurements.

Cylinder #1: 17.1
Cylinder #2: 17.7
Cylinder #3: 17.2
Cylinder #4: 17.5
Cylinder #5: 17.0
Cylinder #6: 16.2
Cylinder #7: 17.1
Cylinder #8: 17.2

Dartht33bagger 03-14-2013 05:10 PM

Bump

Dartht33bagger 03-20-2013 12:45 PM

I'm still having this issue. Anyone?

ninetyone 03-20-2013 12:47 PM

If this is happening on hills ,then it is a pump issue.

Fred SS 03-20-2013 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dartht33bagger (Post 5517494)
I'm still having this issue. Anyone?

Have you checked your fuel pressure yet?