Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TPI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/)
-   -   Edelbrock High-Flo Runners - Bolts not long enough (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/677519-edelbrock-high-flo-runners.html)

MrPink 04-08-2013 10:05 PM

Edelbrock High-Flo Runners - Bolts not long enough

Anyone experienced this? The center bolts on the runners are not long enough to thread into the base. (Each corner of the runners has 3 bolts that connect to the base - I'm talking about the center one with the longest bolt)

There is about 1/8 inch of thread sticking out and even less with the gasket on. Using the stock runners, there is at least 1/4 inch because the stop height is a lot shorter. Am I supposed to be re-using the stock bolts? I don't think Edelbrock supplies new bolts with the base/runners.

Anyway, I could solve this pretty easily if I could just get a longer bolt. Anyone know where I can get these? I'm not sure the size or thread type. Or know any other solutions?

Thanks in advance.

vetteoz 04-08-2013 10:37 PM

Re: Edelbrock High-Flo Runners - Bolts not long enough

Originally Posted by MrPink (Post 5533689)
Am I supposed to be re-using the stock bolts?

My SLP runners came with longer allen head bolts that are much easier to access than the stock Torx style heads
just take a stock bolt to your local engineering supplier and they can determine what thread it is when you buy the longer bolts

Tuned Performance 04-08-2013 10:57 PM

All the plenum and runner to manifold bolts are 8mmx1.25

Johnny Blaze 04-09-2013 12:20 PM

You can get longer bolts on ebay as well. Edelbrock should have provided them.

I got these for my SLP's.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TPI-SLP-INTAKE-RUNNER-BOLTS-ACCEL-LINGENFELTER-S-S-/350418802153?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51969695e9

PhoenixFirebird 04-09-2013 04:32 PM

Got mine from Fastenal, they were dirt cheap lol. I'll measure mine if you need an exact length.

MrPink 04-09-2013 05:32 PM

Thanks everyone (Tuned, as always). Phoenix, if you would measure them that would be great (just the 4 long center ones). fastenal.com, right? You know which ones you got exactly?

Tuned Performance 04-09-2013 05:36 PM

A local true value should have them in Allen head cap

PhoenixFirebird 04-13-2013 09:50 AM

Sorry for the delay, I had to find the bolts lol. They measure about 3 1/8" long. I just went into the store here in town. Don't have a part number though.

Tuned Performance 04-13-2013 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by PhoenixFirebird (Post 5537165)
Sorry for the delay, I had to find the bolts lol. They measure about 3 1/8" long. I just went into the store here in town. Don't have a part number though.

so about 80mm, but I think these must be the lower ones or slp or accel

PhoenixFirebird 04-13-2013 08:30 PM

Actually now that I think about it, the guy I bought them off of did say 80mm. Mine are SLP runners, I should've mentioned. Not sure if there's a difference between them and Edelbrock's or not.

paulo57509 04-14-2013 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by PhoenixFirebird (Post 5537553)
Actually now that I think about it, the guy I bought them off of did say 80mm. Mine are SLP runners, I should've mentioned. Not sure if there's a difference between them and Edelbrock's or not.

FWIW, here's the lengths I used which match up with the SLP supplied bolts. I went with stainless SHCS; the black oxide ones supplied by SLP rusted up and looked awful.

All are 8x1.25; lengths:

30mm, 9-each
45mm, 2-each
80mm, 6-each

I don't have which lengths go where. But it's pretty easy to tell by putting the bolts through the different holes. They should all protrude about the same amount.

89-GTA Ragtop 04-19-2013 11:04 PM

Without pulling the bolts I can't tell you the lengths on them, but I know my baseplate & runner combo I purchased came with the proper bolts needed. I am thinking that someone during the packing process sent you 6 short bolts (3 ea. side), and 6 medium bolts instead of 2 medium bolts and 4 long bolts.

MrPink 05-14-2013 03:39 PM

Got the bolts on ebay. Work like a charm and come with HEX instead of that crappy GM star pattern that strip-out like butter. Thanks for the advice guys.

Next question: Edelbrock only makes (to my knowledge) a gasket set for the lower part of the runner to the manifold. What do I use for the upper runner to plenum? The stock gaskets are about 3mm too small and cover a portion of the runner inlets.

PhoenixFirebird 05-14-2013 04:14 PM

I use oem runner-plenum gaskets. I just trim the excess off with an exacto knife or equivelant. Haven't had a problem with leaks yet.

vetteoz 05-14-2013 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by MrPink (Post 5561041)
What do I use for the upper runner to plenum? The stock gaskets are about 3mm too small and cover a portion of the runner inlets.

http://www.tpis.com/parts/view/22

Mr Gasket # 146
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/afte...r-gaskets.html
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-146

Johnny Blaze 05-15-2013 09:28 AM

I am using Mr Gasket 146 as well. Ported my Stock Base and SLP runners to match.

MrPink 06-28-2013 07:24 PM

Ordering the Mr Gasket 146 set now. I used the edelbrock gaskets, put it all together and I have a massive vacuum leak now. What a pain. One step forward, two back.

Would you guys recommend using some RTV in addition to these gaskets? I would hate to put it back together yet again just to hear that awful vacuum sucking noise. Wish there was a way to test the seal without bolting everything back up.

SRKLEGIN 04-04-2018 06:34 PM

Okay first of all, I am extremely Jealous that you have a set and I don't. :) I have been digging around the internet for over three weeks and every website that shows them, after a call, they forgot to update their website and it was already gone.

So anyway:
here's your fastener list:
6ea M8 x 1.25 x 30mm Allen Cap Screws
2ea M8 x 1.25 x 40mm Allen Cap Screws
4ea M8 x 1.25 x 65mm Allen Cap Screws

Best regards,
SRKLEGIN

SRKLEGIN 04-04-2018 06:36 PM

The bolt size was right off the Edelbrock catalog #3865 / #3870

Buddy 04-04-2018 07:00 PM

Now that was a long search.

... just teasing. Had to say that. You were helping and thats what this site is for, and obviously shows, people helping one another. No matter the time frame, lol.
But still very cool to see people helping out.

MrPink 04-10-2018 04:56 PM

lol - thanks guys. I have been running these (leak free) for 5 years now. Still Run's great. Although I do have to say that the Edelbrock Runners and Manifold put off a crap ton of heat.

SRKLEGIN 07-23-2018 08:49 PM

LOL...sorry man, I just see someone in need and try to help. :) didn't even look at the post date...LOL...