Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TPI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/)
-   -   Power Gains From Swap (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/708537-power-gains-swap.html)

nikk2themax 09-15-2014 09:31 PM

Power Gains From Swap

so i recently picked up an 87 GTA clone from a kid for a smooth $1200. Him and his father had swapped the stock 305 with an L98 block,then totally rebuilt it with new crank, rods, speedpro pistons, rings, voodoo .504 .525 with lifters, waterpump, harmonic balancer and alternator (same power steering pump) Then on budget he put some old nasty pick-n-pull heads from a 86 firebird on top of it and kept the stock TPI system. He did replace the knock sensor but having no computer or injector upgrades it ran alright for a few minutes (unbeknownst to them) they put the drivers side intake gasket on backwards so it wasnt circulating water like it should and continued to run hot after about 5-10 min, the reason they sold it. It also smoked like crazy because of the old worn out heads (which were not rated for that size cam anyway) This being my 5th third gen (4th pontiac) I couldnt pass up this diamond in the rough. I want to keep the TPI system so since then I have tore the top end off and bought brand new ported 2.02 1.60 58cc heads with .550 double springs, guideplates and screwin studs, 22#injectors, egr delete, 9th injector delete and a TB air foil. I will have sealed up this weekend, but need my compression to get new MEMCAL wrote. Will it start as is with 9th injector deleted if I flutter the TB? and honestly how do I get my compression# with the egr and 9th injector deleted?? :crazy: Thanks for patience, any possible estimate on HP/TQ or compression ratio?? PLEASE HELP

no new tires 09-15-2014 09:37 PM

Re: Power Gains From Swap

9th injector cars will NOT fire with out them.

8Mike9 09-15-2014 10:43 PM

What are you referring to as "compression"?

You have all the info in front of you to get the Compression Ratio...

easiest way to begin to start it with the CS valve plugged, use the 89 memcal, or iopen the TB a tad, shoot a shot of staring fluid in it.

nikk2themax 09-20-2014 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by 8Mike9 (Post 5818853)
What are you referring to as "compression"?

You have all the info in front of you to get the Compression Ratio...

easiest way to begin to start it with the CS valve plugged, use the 89 memcal, or iopen the TB a tad, shoot a shot of staring fluid in it.

Im referring to having to find out my new compression ratio so I can get my memcal remapped accordingly. If that is so what do i need to do to figure it out?? thanks

nikk2themax 09-20-2014 09:12 PM

could i buy chance try a memcal which came stock on a 350 with teh same computer or a aftermarket memcal?? any suggestions?

Kennerz 09-21-2014 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by no new tires (Post 5818838)
9th injector cars will NOT fire with out them.

I own an 88 with a ninth injector for nearly 25 years, I don't know that statement to be true at all. Mines been removed, deleted, unplugged since about 1995 & it never had an effect on starting. Unless I'm THE exception, someone told you wrong.

86Z 09-21-2014 07:42 AM

i'm going to ask the ultimate question here.... have you confirmed that they did in fact put a 350 in it?

nikk2themax 09-21-2014 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by 86Z (Post 5820859)
i'm going to ask the ultimate question here.... have you confirmed that they did in fact put a 350 in it?

lol yeaa

no new tires 09-21-2014 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kennerz (Post 5820841)
Unless I'm THE exception,

Yes you are. When I swapped intakes I deleted mine...me and my buddy tried for over 1 day trying to get it to start and when I put the stuff back on and plugged it in...it fired right up.

8Mike9 09-21-2014 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by no new tires (Post 5821044)
Yes you are. When I swapped intakes I deleted mine...me and my buddy tried for over 1 day trying to get it to start and when I put the stuff back on and plugged it in...it fired right up.

He's also in a fairly mild climate, might make a difference?

8Mike9 09-21-2014 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by nikk2themax (Post 5820785)
could i buy chance try a memcal which came stock on a 350 with teh same computer or a aftermarket memcal?? any suggestions?

You could use the '89 memcal, but will have to have the VAT's deleted (I don't think your car has VAT, does it?)

Might be the simplest route to go, pretty sure your '87 uses the 165 ECM like the '89 does.

no new tires 09-21-2014 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by 8Mike9 (Post 5821060)
He's also in a fairly mild climate, might make a difference?

No (smh)....and this was in the summer when I did the swap.

Fast355 09-22-2014 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by no new tires (Post 5821044)

I have done it on 4 different TPI cars over the years and never changed any of them. 85 Corvette, 86 Camaro, 88 Firebird and a Jeep with a 87 MAF Corvette engine. Two of them are daily driven and I have not heard of any of them having issues, even on a 20*F morning.

nikk2themax 02-01-2015 11:09 PM

quick update I got the car back together and started it runs but it might need a tuning still