Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   can get a posi???? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/331454-can-get-posi.html)

jcurrieirocz 11-14-2005 06:09 PM

can get a posi????

hi,
heres the info on my current iroc's rear end:
(on the carrier) GMD5 5387
(on the ring is) GM-1 (large space maybe numbers wore off) -12:41-7 5/8

i understand my iroc has 26 spline axle gears.......can i just put in posi internal parts without removing the carrier???? what do i look for when finding these parts to go into my current carrier.
What is the differences between 9 and 10 bolt rear and how can i tell by looking.

reason i dont wanna swap the whole unit is i was hoping i can just get posi carrier guts only(stock or aftermarket) like used, on here maybe and shipping to me in canada is not to much. I have to drain the rear again in spring to replace a axle seal anyhow so it would be great to swich to a posi at the same time.

Ricktpi 11-14-2005 07:32 PM

Count the # of bolts that hold the inspection cover on, it wiil 9 or 10. Your 7-5/8 would be the ring gear size which is a 10 bolt. Your open carrier can be swapped for a posi one, the gears will need to be set up for proper backlash & pinion depth with the new carrier. If you intend to change rear ratio with anew ring & pinion, the time to do it would be with the new posi carrier. They can be had new or used, aftermarket or OEM. Summit, Jegs & probably a hundred other companies sell them online or through mail order.

jcurrieirocz 11-17-2005 11:16 AM

see but i dont wanna have to take out the carrier if i dont have to??? can i just get the rid of the guts of the open carrier and put in posi stuff or does it not work like that do i have to replace the whole carrier to change to a posi??? know what mean??

And the ratio i dont know... is what i have good enoght... any ideas maybe what i could change to and what difference would it make???

Ricktpi 11-17-2005 03:59 PM

The Powertrax unit is the only one I know of that uses your open carrier.

Pro Built Automatics 11-17-2005 04:13 PM

The posi carrier is different, and there is nothing interchangable between the posi & open unit.

jcurrieirocz 11-17-2005 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Ricktpi
The Powertrax unit is the only one I know of that uses your open carrier.
are they any good?? are they just as good as other full posi carriers??? cost??

Ricktpi 11-17-2005 08:11 PM

Check Summit or Jeg's. I believe they both sell them. I do not have any first hand experience with them. Do a search on this board. I am sure quite a few members here have them.

jcurrieirocz 11-18-2005 02:59 PM

ok thanks man i did and looks like the powertrax is too expencive for me 400 and up easy (not including exchange). So looks like im ganna havta do a whole swap maybe in the spring....

cheack out this i seen at ebay would this fit in my camaro??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-5-G...15617906QQrdZ1

sofakingdom 11-18-2005 03:19 PM

EEEeeeewwwww... a Gov-Lock....

Yeah it'll fit, probably won't last too long though.

jcurrieirocz 11-21-2005 10:25 AM

ok cool why whats up with a govlock??? arnt eaton's good? what problems are with the govlocks???

sofakingdom 11-21-2005 11:29 AM

Just because it's made by Eaton, doesn't automatically make it good.

What it is, is a truck unit, designed for off-road use in low-traction situations. It acts like an open, until the RPM difference between the axles exceeds about 150 RPM; at which point the little governor weights cause it to lock up with a bang. In other words, you have NO LIMITED SLIP ACTION WHATSOEVER at a standstill, and NONE OCCURS until AFTER wheelspin has already started. So it creates an automatic loss-of-control problem on pavement.

Then, look at the sizes of all the parts and pieces. They're little bitty weenie things. Even the S truck people grenade them with 4- and 6-cyl motors, on pavement.

jcurrieirocz 11-24-2005 02:22 PM

ok so eaton makes govlock so what brand from them is there good kinds.