Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   best street performance 700r4 pan? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/542171-best-street-performance-700r4.html)

tomclayborn 09-15-2009 01:39 AM

best street performance 700r4 pan?

ok so when i got my trans builtt my guy told me what to get red eagle performance clutches and bands tgo shift kit hardened sun shell vet servos and a stock vette converter for that year which is 88 external cooler i got the bm supercooler not the jumongous one and a pan with added capacity so here it is for the pan i got a derale that holds like 2 guarts extra and it had these tubes going through it for cooling it was really cool so neway within the first 2000 miles i bottomed out and tore it it hangs down a bit more than stock so i just put my factory pan back on 1. Will i be ok with the factory pan? all of the factory size pans i have seen only have small ribs on them at the bottom and i don't think it's worth it is it? 2. what kind of pans is everyone using that don't sacrifice ground clearance? not really fond of chancing a long trip loosing fluid the whole way and not knowing it thanks, any input is appreciated.

Atilla the Fun 09-15-2009 08:53 AM

Re: best street performance 700r4 pan?

I love the dreale pan on all 3 of my pickup trucks, but on both of my third gens, I'm happy to run the stock pans.

tomclayborn 09-15-2009 10:55 AM

i agree it is the best pan for a truck application or nething elso that is not as low as a third gen i think i'll be fine with the stock pan a trans temp gauge would let me know for sure i wonder if there is a pan with the hole set up to put in the sensor

danziger 09-23-2009 02:25 AM

I am also kicking around the idea of a deep-pan. Anybody else have some input?

DJP87Z28 09-23-2009 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by danziger (Post 4291098)
I am also kicking around the idea of a deep-pan. Anybody else have some input?

You want problems, buy & install a deep tranny pan. Take a look at the bottom of the stock one and with the deep pan it only get worse. Be advised:

danziger 09-24-2009 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by DJP87Z28 (Post 4291184)
You want problems, buy & install a deep tranny pan. Take a look at the bottom of the stock one and with the deep pan it only get worse. Be advised:

Thanks for the advice! That seems to be the consensus in my other thread.

tomclayborn 09-24-2009 02:40 AM

i'm keepin the stocker

RPOL98 09-27-2009 04:43 AM

I like the cast aluminum pans, with the theory that the cast pan helps provide structural strength to the trans case.

in your case, a stock-depth cast aluminum pan would be the way to go.

I've had a deep pan (cast alum) in my 90 IROC for over 10 yrs now (700R4), but I am indeed VERY careful with speed bumps. it is the lowest ground-clearance point of the car. it's been wacked a few times, but that's only dinged the "cooling" fins, it's a pretty hefty piece. maybe that's why they're there, as "skids".

anyways, so far so good.