Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   Going to remove donor parts for a T5 conversion from a donor car - tips, tricks? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/762344-going-remove-donor-parts.html)

Tootie Pang 06-28-2019 10:33 AM

Going to remove donor parts for a T5 conversion from a donor car - tips, tricks?

The owner of the car has an air compressor. I will be bringing most of my tools- impact gun, impact wrench, sockets, etc- the usual stuff. And a jack and jack stands. I will be removing all the parts to convert my TH700- pedals, cylinder, bellhousing, clutch, crossmember, flywheel, etc.

Anything I should watch out for or special tools or tricks that will help with the extraction?

Just removing and collecting tomorrow, not installing.

OrangeBird 06-28-2019 10:56 AM

Re: Going to remove donor parts for a T5 conversion from a donor car - tips, tricks?

Originally Posted by Tootie Pang (Post 6310883)
The owner of the car has an air compressor. I will be bringing most of my tools- impact gun, impact wrench, sockets, etc- the usual stuff. And a jack and jack stands. I will be removing all the parts to convert my TH700- pedals, cylinder, bellhousing, clutch, crossmember, flywheel, etc.

Anything I should watch out for or special tools or tricks that will help with the extraction?

Just removing and collecting tomorrow, not installing.

Take lots of pictures of exactly how everything mounts in the donor car before you take it apart , those pictures could answer a lot of questions come reassembly time :)

//<86TA>\\ 06-28-2019 06:44 PM

Re: Going to remove donor parts for a T5 conversion from a donor car - tips, tricks?

Everything is pretty straight forward, but getting the pedals out can be a bear. It helps to bring a few long extensions and a universal bit. Unbolting and dropping the steering column helps a lot.

Take pictures of the clutch master cutout location to make it easier to do on your car.

Dont forget the computer prom, if applicable.

jmd 06-28-2019 08:43 PM

Nuts for the pedals are 15mm. Wobble socket or wobble adapter is a good idea. Maybe break loose w/ 3/8 tools and remove w/ 1/4" stuff. Don't forget the 5th bolt.

Nuts for the master cylinder u-bolt are 13mm.

The column is manual, too. Key removal lever / button built into it.

scooter 06-29-2019 07:58 AM

Make sure you get the firewall doubler for the clutch master. You will see it once you get the pedals out and pull the insulation pad. You'll need a saw, or drill

Tibo 06-29-2019 09:47 AM

Make a template of the firewall's mounting holes from a piece of poster board. Makes mounting the manual pedals much easier. I showed it in my build thread: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...ml#post6083928

Dyno Don 06-29-2019 11:01 AM

The flywheel bolts will be really tight, bring something to hold it.
Don't forget the starter you will need it.
Torque arm mount too, it's different.
Take the backup light plug you need it too.

Tootie Pang 07-01-2019 10:39 PM

Thanks everyone. All good stuff. I should have checked for updates that morning but my middle son and I left at 5:30AM for a 90 mile drive. I pretty much had thrown all my tools in, a sawzall, etc. We had air tools. It was a pretty straightforward job.

The pedals were a pain but dropping the steering column let us get at the firewall bolts with about three feet of extensions. The fifth bolt was spotted after ten minutes of agonizing, inverted, kneeling-neck twisting observation.

I did not:

1. get the firewall doubler - junkyard or fabricate?
2. make a stencil outline of the openings for the clutch master piston - I'll read the threads
3. the starter - could buy a rebuilt one

Drew 07-01-2019 11:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 459180

Tootie Pang 07-02-2019 10:02 AM

Is that the "doubler"? That extra layer of metal?

scooter 07-02-2019 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tootie Pang (Post 6311725)
Is that the "doubler"? That extra layer of metal?

Yes, that is what it is. IT would also be your "template" for drilling the holes since there is a good reference point, the hump that it butts up to at the top near the brake pedal

Tootie Pang 07-02-2019 06:14 PM

So you guys weren't kidding about cutting it out with a sawzall! I should probably head to parts yard and cut one out or at least stencil a template. Would it be the same for all models (V6 and V8)?

Drew 07-02-2019 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tootie Pang (Post 6311814)
Would it be the same for all models (V6 and V8)?

84-up, yes. 83 was mechanical.

Save that photo, or another like it. Scale it whichever image editing software you like until the bolt holes measure the same as your clutch master. Print and glue to heavier cardboard, and cut out your template. Use your new template to cut a new piece from steel. Hang the pedals in your car, and swing the support bars against the firewall, slip your doubler in place so it lines up with the holes in the bars, outline the doubler with a sharpie and remove all of the above. Mark the oval hole on the firewall, and drill a large enough round hole to clear the master. Line up your doubler, and plug weld the doubler to your firewall.

Otherwise... You can fumble with trying to drill two round holes with a holesaw that overlap (hint: that doesn't work without something for the pilot to center on.) but it's easier to just blast a round hole like GM did, and leave the oval to the doubler where it's easier to drill outside the car. Or skip the doubler, and maybe flex and crack the firewall. People seem to get away without the doubler, but GM used one.

Tootie Pang 07-02-2019 10:41 PM

I like the template aspect of having the actual piece as well as the reinforcement. I've put up a Parts Wanted post for the cutout section shipped to LA for (I think) a fair sum. Photo credits: Drew.

Tootie Pang 07-15-2019 05:19 PM

Man, no luck. I may drive back out to the donor car and cut it out or I could do your scale up method Drew. I'm leaning towards that. I can make a reinforcement plate (or heck maybe just some big washers) to beef up the firewall