Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   Top speed for the v6? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/221725-top-speed-v6.html)

StreetRoc85 350 02-01-2004 09:03 PM

Top speed for the v6?

What are they capable of?

My 'bird has seen just over 100, but I keep having to slow down due to lack of road space...(and fear of cops)

At 105 my headlights flip up

At 95 with the t-tops down my hatch acts like a reverse-spoiler and my back end starts to pick up off the ground. (BAD IDEA!!!)

TechSmurf 02-01-2004 09:41 PM

I've wrapped my 85mph speedo around to 20-25 on a closed course on an airfield.. ~130

EDIT: before the turbo

Doward 02-01-2004 10:03 PM

121 mph radar CLOCKED (speedo's are inaccurate), compared against the tach - 2.8/T5, stock, in good tune.

KayniacRS 02-02-2004 01:30 AM

Got my 3.1 up to just past 115mph on I-84 before I had to let up. I Imagine thats tops for relatively stock.

WaOnFiRe 02-02-2004 07:07 AM

120MPH for me

KED85 02-02-2004 07:27 AM

I know mine can cruise at 80-85 for about 2-3 hours as I did that going to San Diego one morning.
I've gone past 95 MPH on the speedo often.
I do know that the Third Gen F Body, especially the Firebird, is the most aerodynamic body style ever offered by GM designers.
Like stated previous, but out in LA these days, I gotta lift off the pedal. My places for top speed runs have been reduced to zero due to more Airport Security at Los Angeles Airport.

br()bert 02-02-2004 11:09 AM

130 with about 1/4 a pedal left. whoever had the 85 mph speedo should be shot. they even put them in gn's!:rolleyes:

KED85 02-02-2004 12:09 PM

At beginning of Second Gas Crisis in 1978/79, Detroit, felt that (actually US Govt mindless dolts) IF our speedo only read to 85 MPH MANY would feel that's as fast as we will "go".
Don't laugh!
This is really the sad truth.
This practice eventually "stopped" (Govt pressure "let up" maybe a simple brain awoke, ya know!) during the mid 80's with the resurgence of HorsePower Wars again within Detroit.
Notice the 55MPH is DEAD TOP CENTER of our speedos. 55 MPH was the TOP SPEED we were supposed to drive ya know & having that 55MPH at TDC made "more people comply" with the "law".
Don't laugh.
I used to run between Philly & DC on 495 thru Maryland with my CB blazing smoke reprots. Maryland was full of the BIGGEST GROUP OF PIG A$$HOLES I'VE EVER BEEN PULLED OVER BY during this second gas crisis period. They even made ya do 55MPH on a down hill freeway parts & they hid in back of big rigs with radar gun & in "abondoned/broken cars" on sides of 495 to milk thi$ "55MPH" Govt impo$ed B$.
Thank your local politicians going to Congress for removing this curse & thank the Detroit Lobbiests for "removing this 85MPH speedo BS", too.
Don't laugh.
Do you know that "current cars have snitch technology to tell US Govt/local cops/insurance Co. ya been speeding if involved in an accident"?
Don't laugh.
Called OnSat.
PS OnSat. can also "flip a switch at their nerve center and listen in on conversations in that OnSat equipted car".
Don't laugh.

Lee7 02-02-2004 12:19 PM

Originally posted by KED85
At beginning of Second Gas Crisis in 1978/79, Detroit, felt that (actually US Govt mindless dolts) IF our speedo only read to 85 MPH MANY would feel that's as fast as we will "go".
Don't laugh!
This practice eventually "stopped" (Govt pressure "let up" maybe a simple brain awoke, ya know!) during the mid 80's with the resurgence of HorsePower Wars again within Detroit.
Notice the 55MPH is DEAD TOP CENTER of our speedos. 55 MPH was the TOP SPEED we were supposed to drive ya know & having that 55MPH at TDC made "more people comply" with the "law".
Don't laugh.
I used to run between Philly & DC on 495 thru Maryland with my CB blazing smoke reprots. Maryland was full of the BIGGEST GROUP OF PIG A$$HOLES I'VE EVER BEEN PULLED OVER BY during this second gas crisis period. They even made ya do 55MPH on a down hill freeway parts & they hid in back of big rigs with radar gun & in "abondoned/broken cars" on sides of 495 to milk thi$ "55MPH" Govt impo$ed B$.
Thank your local politicians going to Congress for removing this curse & thank the Detroit Lobbiests for "removing this 85MPH speedo BS", too.
Don't laugh.
Do you know that "current cars have snitch technology to tell US Govt/local cops/insurance Co. ya been speeding if involved in an accident"?
Don't laugh.
Called OnSat.
PS OnSat. can also "flip a switch at their nerve center and listen in on conversations in that OnSat equipted car".
Don't laugh.

im pretty sure we wont laugh. :rolleyes:
Dont' laugh.

coolrimsatleast 02-02-2004 01:41 PM

about 126-7 on the autobahn. My headlights didn't pop up though. still had pedal left but tires are only 112 and it was night

Usually drove 85 (uphills) to 100 or 115

br()bert 02-02-2004 02:12 PM

I think if your head lites flip up from speed your motors are shot.

Xophertony 02-02-2004 03:04 PM

back when i still had an 85 mph speedo i had the needle resting against the trip reset button. i guestimated by mesuring with my fingers that it was about 130 mph, in a mostly stock v6. through the grapevine (downhill) in calli at around 1:30 in the afternoon. it was around 105* outside at the time.

for those who don't know what the grapevine is, it is a verry "bad" part of the I-5 intrstate feared by truckers for its steep grades and lots of curves. i was in a real strieght strech though.

KED85 02-02-2004 04:47 PM

im pretty sure we wont laugh.
Dont' laugh.

If ya gonna respond, LEE7, I await a repsone at my email address.
Practice on your spelling and grammer, though.
Better yet, practice illiteracy.
Or try smiling for a better outlook on your life.

My Blazer top speed only came to 95MPH with a good tail win & 2.8 power.

nightprowler 02-02-2004 11:57 PM

about 110 and then the car cuts off, doesn't that suck. I would imagine that in od with a chip in you could see about 135. That's pushing it. Of course if I wanted to go that fast I would have never gotten rid of my z-28. Anything over 80 in my parts you risk your livelyhood anyway, and the bra falls off(if you have one). Although I got pulled doing 90 about two years ago, the cop was pissed, but of course he was off duty, so he let me off with a warning. I let him of with a warning too, don't bother me when I am doing 90 and late for work.:bs:

Gumby 02-03-2004 12:05 AM

Why would your bra fall off???

br()bert 02-03-2004 12:21 AM

Originally posted by Gumby
Why would your bra fall off???
Your bra falling off, lol. IT can not just fall off. Besides they suck any way. I took mine off months ago. makes the car look like ***

Xophertony 02-03-2004 03:39 AM

Originally posted by br()bert
Besides they suck any way. I took mine off months ago. makes the car look like ***
amen!!! car bras are the most pointless cration ever.

semiller26 02-03-2004 04:05 AM

I'd never frown on a nice bra falling down.

nightprowler 02-03-2004 08:50 AM

I guess I should rephrase that to the bra flying off. It happens, and I have some paint coming off the front of the car, I don't car for bras either, but it covers this up pretty well. I guess I walked into this one.:doh:

FruityOne 02-03-2004 08:57 AM

I thought nearly all TBI, v6, and LB9 cars had speed limiters? One of the guys near me who has a v6 bird has had his up near 120mph and it just shuts down, starts that lovely jerking motion.

StreetRoc85 350 02-03-2004 08:58 AM

I think if your head lites flip up from speed your motors are shot.

Yeah they are. (or at least they were at the time)

When I got past 90, they started flapping a little bit, then at 105 BOOM!!!!! they flipped up HARD!!!

It scared me sh*tless, I thought I had blown a tire at first :eek:

Gumby 02-03-2004 09:33 AM

People with a mechanical cable driving spedo have no limiter.

I like the nose piece of the bra as it smooth out the front of the car. Gives it a nice round shape. Not a fan of the hood pieces. But they were never really meant to look the best, just keep the front of your car from getting chipped from stones and such.

1986CamaroSC 02-03-2004 11:56 PM

ihave hit about 200km/h or like 125mph maybe ???

DJsyclone 02-05-2004 12:42 PM

115mph, and it started to scare the sh t out of me. Could have probably pushed it further but that feels really fast to me.

ScrapMaker 02-05-2004 03:30 PM

I've gotten my 3.1 bird up to 120 on an old country highway... never any cops... also had my t-tops off... really wasn't scary at all... but I do have S-Rated tires.. Firehawk SS20's...(Indy 500). It's a shame you can't always drive that fast, I had no problems with the curvy roads either... but I did notice after that little frenzy that my roof liner was not quite attached to my roof... someday I'll use some industrial adhesive on that sucker...

67 Camaro 88 02-06-2004 03:37 PM

Speedometer said a bit over 80mph...... but it's way off.

p23560r15 (26.1") tire.... just over 4500rpm.... 4th gear...3.23 = ~110mph.

The taller tires kill the gear... which was worse than stock to begin with. Maybe that + very little power = kills my top end... I dont know :p

I would have thought that a 3.4L 5 speed would have gone faster. But I did the "top speed run" when the 3.4L had ~700 miles on it. It's got almost 7000 miles now. Maybe it's time to do it one more time, just to see.

:)
-Bud

EDIT: Oh yea... scarey as h*ll. In no way did I feel safe going that fast in a 16 year old v6 fbody. I don't even feel safe going 90pmh in my 88 Camaro. Everything's fine till something goes wrong. Floating around the road isn't fun going that fast. I'd like to live to finish building my 67 :)

nightprowler 02-06-2004 05:14 PM

that's thing about our cars, the more tire you put in the back the worse the thing does in top end, and gas milage. It changes what your rearend is working hard to acheive. For example I bought mine, with 250-65-15's on the back, why someone would put those on a v-6 is beyond me. I am going back with a 215-60 all around or either some 16's.Btw these cars do seem to float after 100 too.

89cmrodriver 02-06-2004 07:41 PM

i dunno, i drove about 80 for 20 miles the other day and i felt like i had a shaking disorder. For some reason around 50 my car starts shaking and gets worse as speed increases. I dont feel safe in it at 55, much less 100+.

CaliCamaroRS 02-06-2004 10:06 PM

You wanna hear some BS? When my RS was an automatic it had no speed governor. When I swapped to the 5-speed, I switched to a 5-speed PROM...........now the car hits a brick wall at 105 mph....which never happens anymore cause I hardly drive the damn thing now.

TechSmurf 02-07-2004 12:37 AM

I would, but Arizona never caved in to the government.. even when everyone else was doing 55, our speed limits were 65.. and the cops rarely do stakeouts. Yes, this meant the Federal Government ceased giving Arizona funding for highways, but the state found a way around that, too.. the lottery ;)

A decent chunk of Arizona Lottery proceeds go directly to highway funding.. arizona car guys can look at buying a lottery ticket as a "good investment" :D

Just enlightening the masses with useless trivia.

FAST RS 02-08-2004 04:58 AM

Originally posted by 89cmrodriver
i dunno, i drove about 80 for 20 miles the other day and i felt like i had a shaking disorder. For some reason around 50 my car starts shaking and gets worse as speed increases. I dont feel safe in it at 55, much less 100+.
Could be bad alignment or outta balance tires when my tires need to be balanced i get a werid vibration in my car.

Gumby 02-08-2004 08:23 AM

Originally posted by CaliCamaroRS
You wanna hear some BS? When my RS was an automatic it had no speed governor. When I swapped to the 5-speed, I switched to a 5-speed PROM...........now the car hits a brick wall at 105 mph....which never happens anymore cause I hardly drive the damn thing now.
You should be able to switch back?

Isn't the only difference is the engine hold the rpms up for you while you shift. Instead of dropping right off in an auto, the hover for a sec in a stick.

CaliCamaroRS 02-08-2004 11:29 PM

Originally posted by Gumby
You should be able to switch back?

Isn't the only difference is the engine hold the rpms up for you while you shift. Instead of dropping right off in an auto, the hover for a sec in a stick.

I could.....but I lost the old PROM. And I don't drive the POS anyway. It's gonna get junked or donated pretty soon.

Here's a pic just for kicks:

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictur...&id=4188808970

KED85 02-09-2004 09:21 AM

That's real shame.
You have one of the best Camaros I've seen.
Does that come with the 3.4 engine, also?
You must get BMW parts for way cheap.
When my 1970 2002 ran I was lucky to get 70+MPH top speed. Spark plug changing was a weekly ritual. Yeah, I knew what it "needed" but not at the prices I was told for the work involved.
That 2002 BMW I had, I couldn't wait to get rid of.

Gumby 02-09-2004 10:00 AM

Originally posted by CaliCamaroRS
I could.....but I lost the old PROM. And I don't drive the POS anyway. It's gonna get junked or donated pretty soon.

I agree, just junk it man. Not even worth he $50 they will give you for it in scrap. Id even help you out and come take it off your hands to make it easier on you. Its the least I could do.

So when can I get the title?

CaliCamaroRS 02-10-2004 10:26 PM

LOL, I was going to sell it but I don't think I can find a sucker around here.

This thing looks decent from the outside but it's got a blown suspension, pulls to the left badly, valve seals leak- needs a top end rebuild, clutch chatters badly- don't know if I roasted it or if oil is leaking on it, transmission rattles in 3rd gear now when cold.

I thought of parting it out, but I park this thing on the street so I can't have a dismantled car sitting out there. ****, my $400 1yr old GM A/C compressor is worth more than the whole car. Plus I have an IROC dual fan setup I could sell as well.

I've been trying to sell my 3.4 stuff but people keep flaking out on me. I can't even sell my rebuild kit which will work for the 2.8 or 3.1 except for the pistons which are too big.

KED85 02-10-2004 10:36 PM

PLEASE CONTACT ME REGARDING THE 3.4
I MAY HAVE A BUYER
I'd be happy to connect you with him.
It is not for myself!

Kj Rockz 02-13-2004 03:44 PM

Don't laugh!
Don't laugh.
Don't laugh.
Don't laugh.
Called OnSat.
Don't laugh.

I belive you. there is alot of stuff that we do not know about:eek:

FAST RS 02-13-2004 04:53 PM

My theory for the top speed of a car when i was 7 years old

My moms trans am would do 60mph at 2000 rpm so i figured if the car redlined at i think 7000 rpm that it so i figured the car could do 210 mph i hope this makes sence basicly for every 2000 rpm's i added 60 mph.

Then i lernt that wasent true but woulnt it be cool if it was.

br()bert 02-13-2004 05:01 PM

that would be cool acceleration

Kj Rockz 02-13-2004 09:28 PM

Well all I know I was going like 117 when the speed limter kicked in, I probably had like 3500 on the rpms, so i know it could have gone more. I estimate about 135:D with make me happy.

Well my camaro has some slight mods.
no cat
all msd stuff
flowmaster
mandrell bent tubing
optimum battery

just to name a few.:p

Firebird90 02-17-2004 07:21 PM

120MPH in Death Valley heading towards Las Vegas :D

halfpint 02-17-2004 08:09 PM

132mph

Kj Rockz 02-17-2004 09:22 PM

Originally posted by halfpint
132mph
what kinda mods do you have to your car?

FAST RS 02-17-2004 10:59 PM

Lets just say i basicly pegged my tach i was around 6500+ rpm and i know i will get flamed but what ever.

br()bert 02-17-2004 11:03 PM

I've gotten mine to 130 already and have not come up against any speed limiter or governer at all. Only mods i have are mustang coil which is twice as large as the stock 2.8 coil,(old coil died, i had this coil from my old car in the closet, why spend money when you dont have to?)apc cone filter, no egr,no smog pump,no evap ca,(yeah i know no hp gains just manking a list)no ac or any of the left over ac crap,Synth trans fluid, Ported and polished the inside of EVERYTHING while i replaced the head gasket.but everything else is stock as far as i know.

halfpint 02-17-2004 11:48 PM

Originally posted by Kj Rockz
what kinda mods do you have to your car?
Half pint of nitro-jk
A few things here and there.

KED85 02-18-2004 09:56 AM

I've been in FAST RS ride too.
We hit over 90 once.
He also hit a car (both cars going for same space thing), once, too!
Funny now that I mention this, that was the last time I rode with him, too!!!!!!!!
He's CRAZY!

halfpint 02-18-2004 10:46 AM

I've been in FAST RS ride too.
We hit over 90 once.
He also hit a car (both cars going for same space thing), once, too!
Funny now that I mention this, that was the last time I rode with him, too!!!!!!!!
He's CRAZY!

Now I know why you didn't go for a ride in my car when you came to visit ;) Karl, Check out my new front hubs on the suspension board.

FAST RS 02-18-2004 04:26 PM

I see how it is I get hit by a truck and its my fault lol. Im a good driver i have never had any at fault accidents. Jsut think tho i got my whole car painted because of that :)