Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   found a 92 bird....good deal? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/491398-found-92-bird-good.html)

startercar 09-03-2008 05:43 AM

found a 92 bird....good deal?

Hey guys, been looking for a V6 Firebird forever, and I keep seeing them go in front of me. Saw this one and I want to jump on it before it's gone.

The good: Was repainted a nice metallic blue a couple years ago, no rust, needs minor work, the price.

The bad: No ttops, auto tranny, needs new brakes for inspection, meh. EDIT: Also the miles...150,000...

The guys says there are little things here and there that need fixed. Apparently it needs a tune up, some interior work, the right headlight needs wired up, and the timing needs adjusted a bit...and of course the brakes.

So the guy wants like $1000. Seems like a good deal, because by time time I get those repairs done, I'll probably have spent at least $1500. I'm thinking of picking it up and learning from this car, hopefully the things required aren't beyond my mechanical abilities(which right now are sort of nonexistent...)

What are your thoughts? Thanks!

scoutsniper 09-03-2008 12:16 PM

Re: found a 92 bird....good deal?

id try to talk him lower if possible. i to was looking for a bird and found one. but i got one hell of a deal

new paint job red w/ silver stripes
brand new cat and exhuast
new tires
brand new tune up and all sensors and computer replaced.
all filters and fluids changed and new brakes.
and t-tops with new seals. no leaks! yea lol

it needs a floor patch but its a small hole
ive put ball joints and wheel bearings on it and for 2100$ its the best investment ive ever made. and the 3.1L got some balls lol. also i get about 18-20 city and 26-28 highway

IROCtheThird 09-03-2008 12:55 PM

Yeah deffinatly talk him down a couple hundred, but thats what you get with older cars, they need a lot of little BS here and there. But all in all doesnt sound to bad, 150,000 isnt to bad, just take care of it, keep it up to date on maintenence. But they are very good cars, dont let another one end up in a junk yard.

James

startercar 09-03-2008 05:32 PM

Right now it's not looking too good...dad says heck it's my money...mom says...no. The thing is, right now I don't have a job. I have $2000, obviously I don't want to throw all of that at the car. All in all I wouldn't want to spend over $500 on top of the base cost to get it up and running.

I still haven't seen the car itself yet, but am hoping to...we shall see, I'll let you guys know.

My step dad's under the impression that these are peice of crap cars though...and I guess I can see where he's coming from. You know....they're sports cars...people beat them...this ones 16 years old and I don't know the maintenance history. I can look at best case scenario, which is what you guys say, that they'll basically last forever if you maintain them well, but I don't know if this one has been. The fact that the guys a mechanic(or at least mechanically inclined) and still wants to be rid of it sort of throws me off.

I'll talk to him more about his car, though, and let you guys know. How hard are things mentioned above to do though...adjust the timing? Replace brakes and rotors? I'm no mechanic.

89RS_82Z 09-03-2008 06:04 PM

try 800, if he says no try 875, still no try 925

150k is not bad miles at all, that only a little over 9k a year thats been put on it

maybe your dad, uncle, grandfather, freind, freinds dad/grandpa can help you out on getting her running good.

are the tires good, good tread and no cracking in the side walls??

also try to get someone that knows cars to look it over real good before you buy

good luck keep us posted

startercar 09-04-2008 07:38 PM

Well I called again and got the wife, let them know I probably couldn't buy it, and right away she's asking if it's a price thing, and she brought up the possibility of me paying them 800 for it. Of course, that's the wife, so I don't know that the man will let it go for that much, but that brings it back into perspective.

Best case scenario, I'll go to look at it Saturday. It's nice that it's so close to me, and 800...well I'd have enough for...most of the repairs that hopefully won't need done.

So...while I think it's weird that they're so anxious to get rid of it(at least the wife is), I'm back to dreaming. Apparently it really is a beautiful car.

I'm on a trip until Saturday, so I'll let you guys know. Thanks.

startercar 09-04-2008 09:29 PM

Hey, question. I was under the impression that this thing was going to look like the 91 Formula down the street, but I keep seeing things like "formula nose." This thing I'm looking at...I'm assuming is some sort of base model...what will the nose look like? Any pictures to give me an idea?

Thank you.

IROCtheThird 09-05-2008 11:58 PM

Correct, its a base model, it doesnt have the ground fx, has a regular old hood, different badges, little stuff here and there. I'm not sure everything exactly on the firebird but you can take a look at my sig to atleast see the differece between in trim between my Sport Coupe and my IROC.

89RS_82Z 09-06-2008 11:29 AM

yea you can always but the upgrade parts on it make it look like one

micali 09-06-2008 11:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got my 88 sport coupe for 550 on ebay. IT had a blown head gasket and one small rust spot on door, rear quarter dented but it has 78,000 on it. IT took me a bit but I got it running and it gets on average 21 in the city. Not a peice of crap if you take care of them. I've had to rebuild the front end since I"ve owned it. I did all the work, which wasn't to bad, and saved a lot of money. iF you own one of these you should learn to fix it yourself. It will save you alot of money.
I am not afraid to drive this car anywhere. Thinking of taking it to minnesota.

startercar 09-06-2008 03:53 PM

Nice Camaro, Micali :)

Well I went and looked...here are some pictures:

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/7214/0906081540pq9.jpg

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8...6081541rk9.jpg

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/3...6081543te2.jpg

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/4...081547agi1.jpg

The good: I'm pretty ok with the color, couldn't find any rust, dents, etc. Looks like the guy tried making it look like a Formula...isn't that the Formula nose and wheels? Also, when the guy repainted it, he stuck the decals back on the sides.

The not so good: Car has 160,000 miles, not 150,000 miles. Looks like when the guy put the Formula nose on the front, the hood has a weird gap in the front? Also looks like the tires are sort of bald, but they might be ok for awhile. Also, the interior is in pieces. I don't mean scratched or damaged, just taken apart. The drivers seat itself has a rip on it, and there are things here and there, but otherwise interior looks...sort of ok. The roof cloth is taken down...said he had to...repspray it? Dunno. Also, I've still got NO idea on the engine. I'm stopping by tomorrow to talk to the people, those pictures are just from stopping by to look quick.

So it's a...V6...Firebird...that...sort of...looks like a Formula...and...needs some work...for...possibly....$800.

Whatcha think?

EDIT: The bricks behind the back wheels make me wonder how bad the brakes are...lol...:)

cooltc2004 09-06-2008 04:54 PM

That style nose and ground effects came on the base model Firebird (option W68) and the Trans Am. Those rims were available on the base model Firebird with the W68 package and the Formula. That hood just came on the base model Firebird. So that is basically just a regular Firebird, no visual modifications (cept the paint). There was also a base model Firebird without the W68 (like mine) that looked like the Formula.

I think alot of the 91-92 Firebirds had that gap between the nose and the hood (I've seen several, mine included).

For $800, as long as your sure there is not rot on the floorboards, I'd pick it up.

/edit: Oh, and I prefer these cars without T-Tops, looks more sleek imo, plus some racing events state that you cannot race with t-tops or a convertible.

startercar 09-06-2008 05:23 PM

I was kind of looking forward to seeing how t-tops were, but meh, it's soon going to be winter anyway. Good way to check for rotting floorboards besides...going in and jumping on them?

I don't have an insane amount of money, so I'm hoping that IF I can pick this up, that the repairs needed aren't extensive.

Man, I want it. Haha.

EDIT: Nice thing to mention that I saw today...also has power locks, mirrors, and windows. The whole...window switches on the console with the shifter is kind of cool. Haha.

nixon5 09-06-2008 05:59 PM

ehhh i have an 86 firebird got it last year as my 1st car. There good for school and stuff but dont even try to race anything youll loose. Great on gas tho

John81 09-06-2008 06:15 PM

That doesn't look bad at all for $800. If I found one like that near me I wouldn't hesitate to get it personally. On the other hand I do need a few parts and trim pieces for my Trans Am so even if the car turned out to be not so great I'd still be happy with it as a parts car though.

When he said he had to respray the headliner he possibly meant a spray adhesive, not many third gens make it past their 15th birthday without the headliner sagging a bit.

startercar 09-06-2008 07:23 PM

Oh, spray adhesive...well that doesn't sound so bad. It sounds like this guy was doing a lot to the car, so I'll have to see if he's including any spare parts. I saw a box of spark plug wires in the back...who knows.

And honestly, I won't be racing it, I just want an Fbird. If all goes right, it'll be a daily commuter to and from school, and yes I hear the V6 doesn't get bad mpg at all(when everything is working right). It isn't rated much below my 4cyl Camry, but I guess it's not too big of a 6. If worst comes to worst, I'm on the highway 99% of the time, so meh.

I've been reading up on Tom P's major tuneup guide, and it looks a lot more manageable financial-wise than I thought it would be. That's encouraging. I'll also have to go pick up a Hayne's repair manual from AutoZone if this all works out like I want it too...

Thanks guys!

Firebird90 09-06-2008 07:35 PM

Looks like it has the SSA package.
The hood can be adjusted.

Only bad thing with the 91-92 is the front body panels (Nose and Front GFX) The are hard to find and expensive.

Good luck on your car.

startercar 09-06-2008 07:54 PM

Thanks man. What's the SSA package? I don't know what the original nose looked like...he said when he bought the car, the front nose was cracked, so he got a new one. I don't know.

I'll have to run the VIN number..

Firebird90 09-06-2008 08:03 PM

SSA Package - Is the ground effects from a Trans Am.

You have the right nose for the SSA package.

I have 2 of them 90 and 92.

startercar 09-06-2008 08:12 PM

Oh ok, thanks. :)

startercar 09-07-2008 03:01 PM

Hey all,

Went again today and talked to the couple, who seem extremely honest. Found out that to get inspected, it also needs a new tail pipe(muffler?). I don't know how much that would cost. I got inside it today, and the interior isn't amazing, but not bad. Might throw some seat covers in to mask how faded the seats look.

Now umm...suppose just about everything with the brakes needs redone. I already knew they needed to be "fixed" but apparently just about everything down there could use replacing, or at least it sounds like it. The guy said they feel spongy and grab pretty bad. How much do you think it would cost to do this myself? The guy got a quote from Meineke and apparently they said about $350.

I also thought I would get to drive it today, however, the timing is apparently worse than I thought it was, and the guy doesn't want to start it up without first fixing it. He said he got the timing out of some Haynes or Chilton manual, and they somehow had it wrong. I guess the engine ran fine before he messed with the timing, so it's something he did himself and is going to fix before(if) he sells it to me. I told him I of course couldn't buy it if I couldn't get in and drive it, and he said he was going to fix the timing anyway, so he'd let me know when he was done. He's also respraying the headliner before he sells it, which is nice of him.

Now he also told me today that he was only messing with the timing because he was doing a big tuneup....changed the oil and filter, spark plug wires and plugs, air filter, etc.

So bottom line: I don't think I'd feel ok about it offering less than $800, as it sounds like a deal. There are little things here and there, maybe some new weatherstripping would be good in places, but yeah.

The bad:
-apparently needs radical brake repairs?
-timing isn't right right now...hopefully the engine runs as good afterwards as it supposedly did beforehand
-one of the front headlight motors is out in the front, though he has a new one
-interior shows some wear and tear(wtf there is no glovebox??)
-new tailpipe...ideas on prices?

Are brakes hard to work with?

Thanksss

micali 09-07-2008 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
IMO brakes on these are pretty easy to fix. It wil cost you around $50 for all the brake pads and shoes for the car. Labor is what gets you at those shops.
Fronts are super easy and the back brakes will take a little longer to fix. Bleeding the brakes is a two person job. I had to replace my brake lines, front to back because of a hole and man was that a job.

Timing is easy to fix and on these cars it should be set at 10 deg before top dead center. Make sure to unhook the est by the blower before you mess with the timing. it has brown wires on both ends and is clipped to gether. Here is a pic of it's location. directions: Start the engine and disconnect it, then set the timing to 10* BTDC. Tighen the clamp, then check it again before reconnecting the connector. As long as it's still at 10*, then shut off the engine, reconnect the EST and restart. It should be MUCH happier than before.

Yep, no glove box in these cars. Some firebirds/TA's have a velcro pouch where the box would be. Mine did.
Sounds like a good price, always try and talk him down. It's your money and the worst thing he can say is no. Offer him $500, and work in $50,$25 dollar increments. IF he wants it gone he'll come down. Take the extra stuff as a bonus. My old man was a car dealer and that's how he did it. He would come home with incredible deals. It imazes me on how he does it.

I bet you could spend easily $100 on a new muffler. Take one off a salavage car and have someone weld it on.

Looks like a nice car. Go for it.

startercar 09-07-2008 06:50 PM

Hey, would bleeding the breaks be necessary? He said pretty much everything down there needs replaced, but I don't know if bleeding was necessary? I guess it's hard to tell with how vague I'm being. Sorry about that.

Yeah, I have the velcro patch. I just found it kind of weird. Where do you keep all your insurance stuff and manuals and things? Under the seats?

Also, for the timing...you guys lose me with the abbreviations. Remember, I'm no mechanic, just hoping to learn. I know that TDC=top dead center(I think?) but I don't know what that means. 10*BTDC=10 degrees before top dead center? I don't know? Is this stuff marked? I wish it was sitting in my driveway now so I could see what you guys mean.

Bleh. $100 for muffler. That makes me want to talk him lower, but I don't want to rip him off. I'll see what he says.

Thanks for all this information.

EDIT: For the brakes, he said pads shoes...something else...and I think he mentioned rotors also. I'm assuming that's gonna definitely be more than $50?

EDIT2: Forgot to mention...damn! These cars have SO MUCH room in the engine bay. I was really surprised. They must not be toooooo bad to work on compared to other little compact things..

89RS_82Z 09-07-2008 06:55 PM

i have a mint leather map pouch for sale if you want it

startercar 09-07-2008 07:26 PM

Haha right now I'm going to try to keep in mind the primary things as I'm already going to be kind of stretched financially. Thanks for the offer though, I'll keep it in mind.

Can anyone provide any insight on my questions above?

micali 09-07-2008 08:07 PM

You said the breaks are squishy. Might need to be bleed but you might need to find out why they are that way. $30 bucks a rotor if you need them at autozone. Calipers are $10(front disks) wheel cylinders are $10.(rear drums) IF you get the rears apart do one at a time so you can look at the other for reference. If you need to replace the rear wheel cylinders you will notice a lot of gunk around the plungers. if it's clean then it's probably fine. I bet the pads need to be replaced that could be the soft/squishy feeling he is talking about.

BTDC= before top dead center. Yes, you will find a timing tab by the harmonic balancer. It will have numbers on it that start with 4,8,12,16. The tab will be jagged looking. There could be three grooves on the balancer one will be larger than the others and that's the one you will use when timing the car. IF there is only two then the larger one is the one you will use. IT will be noticeble differance between the two. I would put some white paint on the groove so it will show up when you time it. It's pretty easy. Don't frett.

IF you need pics let me know or do a serch.

startercar 09-07-2008 09:34 PM

Seriously, thanks a lot man. I'll let you know what happens. Those prices seem pretty reasonable though.

Thanksss

startercar 09-08-2008 06:50 PM

Hey guys, question:

I went and looked into this sticky thread and saw the muffler section...I figure...I have to get a new tailpipe anyway...should I get this one?

It says it's compatible with the 1982-1992 V8 models, but doesn't mention the V6. Is it a good buy? It's only 60 bucks, but I've never really heard of Dynomax....would that be a direct fit replacement?

Thanksss

micali 09-08-2008 07:19 PM

Dynomax is a good muffler. i have magna flow and it sounds good. Check ebay and I bet you can get it cheaper. If daves12sec says it, it probably is.

There is no differance between the placement of the v6 and the v8 mufflers. I'm not for sure but I don't know if they used different ones for each car. I'd think they would use the same one.

startercar 09-08-2008 07:35 PM

I would also think that. Is the stock piping 2.5" though?

Thanks.

92RS_Ttop 09-08-2008 08:19 PM

Yes, the stock pipes are 2.5". You should be able to get a replacement muffler at Autozone for around 25 or 30 if your not set on the Dynomax name. They are good mufflers, but if your on a budget, you can go cheap now to pass inspection, then put a better one on later. Mufflers are easy to change. Also, yes the mufflers are essentially the same between the v6 and v8 cars. They all mount the same, and are the same design. The pipe running back from the cat may be a bit bigger, but I don't remember it being that way.

For the brakes, if you have to replace everything in the wheels(calipers, shoes/pads, wheel cylinders, drums) you will still be in under Meineke's estimate. In my experience, brake shops are the worst places when it comes to overcharging people for work. The local Midas charges $90 per axle to replace brake pads. I did the front pads and one caliper on my camaro for a grand total of $25.

One thing no one has asked, do you have any tools or access to tools? If not, your gonna have to figure their cost into the budget. And trust me, you don't want to buy the cheap ones. By the time you buy the replacements when they break, you could have bought the good ones.

I think you found yourself a great deal there. Sounds like the wife may be making him sell it with the way she jumped on lowering the price. Find out how long it's been for sale. That will give you an idea of how honest he is being about the condition. If it's been for sale for months, I would walk away. On something like this, it usually means there are major problems. Also, you mentioned he changed the oil. See if he has the old stuff laying around. I never buy a car with fresh oil in it. The old oil can tell you a lot about the engine's condition. But no matter what price they are asking, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS go lower. Micali's got the right idea. The less $$ you pay for it, the more money you have for repairs and upgrades.

Sorry about the long post. I'm just killing time while the kids fall asleep and guess I got carried away.

EDIT: All that and I forgot about the floors. You can try jumping up and down on the floorpans, but it's gonna be kinda hard with a real roof. Anyhow, just crawl under and look at them. You wanna pay special attention to checking the areas in the front and rear corners of the them. The front corners right by the doors is usually where they rust out first. It's not a T-Top car so they are probably ok. Just take a flashlight and spend a few minutes under there looking.

startercar 09-08-2008 08:33 PM

Haha don't apologize, I'm looking for great posts to help me out here.

As for the muffler, I'll check Autozone. I'm definitely not set on the Dynomax muffler, I really do just want it to pass inspection. I'd like to just get everything working correctly before I opt for premium parts. An Autozone muffler sounds like the way to go, though the thing is, I need that dual output thing that the Firebird has...I don't know how universal that is.

Umm...good news on the brakes.

I do not own the tools, but my stepdad has a grand variety of them...all these different wrenches and sockets, both metric and nonmentric, a torque wrench or two, etc, he has a good amount. I feel like his supply should be sufficient for what I'm going to be doing, but I'll see.

As for how long it's been for sale, I just noticed it on Craigslist the last week. They are apparently only selling it now..it was a project for the husband, but they're main car died, and they are currently using the husband's mom's car for daily driving and for kids and things...so they want to get rid of what they don't need in order to help pay for what they do need. They also just moved, so I guess that's another reason they are hoping to unload some (hopefully not)junk. I'll ask about the oil, but I sort of doubt it. It doesn't sound like it's really been driven in about 6 months. I guess with all the moving and what not, this took a backseat. He said he would start it up at least once a month during this period and pull it out of the garage, but just to run it, and not for any length of time.

The fact that the car has 160,000 miles on it is sort of encouraging to me. It means they ran it. I'd be a little worried if it only had like 30,000 on it...

And yeah, I'll check the floorboards with a flashlight.

Thanks man!!

micali 09-08-2008 08:58 PM

for the brakes, I've only used brake tools once and they were the cheap kind and they were crap. They broke on me the first time I used them. Tools can make it a bunch easier but I never had the money for the good stuff. I can change the brakes on my car with a couple of screwdrivers for leverage and that works for me. Autozone, O'riellys, pep boys should all have a rent a tool program. Give them payment for them and when you return it they give you a refund.
Just listen to what he tells you and if he is lying he will contradict himself before you make the deal. If you have already asked this or posted it sorry, don't want to go back and read, Ask him how long he has owned it. How many miles were on it when he got it and are they correct miles, I mean orig motor? Has it been in a wreck. Get the vin and do a check.
Yes the oil can tell you alot but if you don't know what you are looking for then you are just looking at oil. Ask your stepdad to come with you he will think twice about ripping you off with your S-Dad there. Even if your dad doesn't know a hole lot that guy doesn't know that and just look the car all over.

startercar 09-08-2008 09:10 PM

Yeah, I brought my dad along with me the last time I went.

So far on the phone and in person, the guy has seemed extremely honest and so has his wife. They haven't contradicted anything once. The guy already told me that the car had been in a slight crash. He's the second owner, he bought it for 800 after the first owners daughter had driven into a wall at low speed. Apparently the front nose was cracked and stuff, but nothing beyond that. The guy replaced the nose, then repainted it(told us the funny story of how unGodly expensive the stupid noses are, as has already been mentioned above.)

The guy let me get the VIN off the car, and I still have to run the check.

I'll ask about how many miles the guy put on the car, but it sounds like the majority of them were before he bought it. He's just been sort of trying to fix her up. He's had the car for 5.5 to 6 years. He maintains that before he messed up the timing himself while trying to give it a good tune up, that the engine ran great. He seemed really anxious to let me know that, not in a way that would make me think he was lying, just that he wanted me to know it still ran good.

What I'm trying to say is they sound like genuine people. I'm not the most amazing judge of character, and anyone can be nice if they want to sell something, but meh. They are being very reasonable. Not like some other jerks I've met through Craigslist in the past...

I'm waiting on him to get the timing adjusted so that I can possibly take it for a test drive.

Thanks everyone

EDIT: Now that I think about it though, he also said he's changed the oil every 3,000, so I guess he's driven it a bit. Right now he said it's got thinner oil in it(5W something.), since he knew it would be sitting for a bit and he didn't want it to clump up. I'm no expert, but that made sense to me.:)

grimmcs 09-09-2008 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by startercar (Post 3882064)
I would also think that. Is the stock piping 2.5" though?

Thanks.

The stock pipes are 2 1/4". More than likely your I-pipe is shot as well...I would look into this set ((LINK))
That is a direct bolt on...Thats what I have on my car. I tried putting just the muffler and had a hell of a time dealing with the old I-pipe and getting reducers to make it all fit. Buying the kit was much easier.

startercar 09-09-2008 05:52 AM

Mmm, I guess I will look into that, though it's not the budget I had in mind. Is there some coupler that that comes with to connect to the stock piping?

Thanks.

91z 2 8 09-09-2008 06:07 AM

i have a stock muffler and tail pipes from my 91 camaro if youd be interested. I just the muffler and tails

92RS_Ttop 09-09-2008 08:13 AM

The coupler doesn't come with it if you get just the muffler at Autozone, maybe with the set grimmcs linked to, not sure. If you need it, it will cost you around $5-7 for the coupler pipe and 2 clamps.

Micali - your right about the oil, I guess I did forget that it helps to know what your looking at/for. Feel free to :idiot: me next time.

grimmcs 09-09-2008 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by 92RS_Ttop (Post 3882540)
The coupler doesn't come with it if you get just the muffler at Autozone, maybe with the set grimmcs linked to, not sure. If you need it, it will cost you around $5-7 for the coupler pipe and 2 clamps.

There are no couplers in the cat-back I linked. It changes all the pipes, from the cat back, to 2.5". If you buy just a 2.5" muffler you will need to buy couplers to adapt it to the smaller 2.25" stock pipe.

startercar 09-09-2008 08:24 PM

91z28, thanks for the offer. Is it in good condition? What's your price?

Thanks!

startercar 09-10-2008 08:53 PM

Working things out with 91z28, thanks everyone for the advice. Guy is still working on getting things running, I'm trying not to rush him as I'm still not certain that I'm buying it. But yeah.

And I got the insurance quote today...right now I'm driving a 94 Camry LE aka 4 door 4 cylinder family sedan...and am paying about $1050 a year. For the Firebird, it's estimated at around $710. I had a laugh at that...but hey, I'll take it.

But when I gave the VIN to the insurance company, they had it listed as a 91 instead of a 92 Firebird. I don't know if their database is wrong or if it's actually a 91...any key differences I can check on? Thanks.

John81 09-11-2008 03:46 AM

Not many differences between a 91 and 92 really, GM was busy putting the finishing touches on the 4th gen. If you have the vin number the 10th digit should be N for a 92, M for 91. easy to misread and mistype I guess.

P.S. Pretty much any visual difference isn't accurate as parts could have been swapped from another firebird. Checking the vin# is the only way to be sure.

startercar 09-11-2008 05:42 AM

The tenth digit is an M....I guess it's a 91.

Does anyone have any free carfax things they'd be willing to part with? I know people get some sometimes somehow.

Thanks for the information.

startercar 09-15-2008 06:08 PM

Hey, just to let you all know, me and the guy are still talking, I'll keep you posted.

startercar 09-21-2008 12:09 PM

Alright UPDATE!

So...nothing has changed. The guy is apparently working crazy hours and hasn't had time to work on this car just to sell it I guess. The main thing he's told me is wrong is that the timing is messed up.

Now...can someone explain to me..."timing."? If he truly messed up the timing before, and then started up the motor, could he have damaged it? How would one go about umm...fixing the timing? Would it be hard? I don't know how you really adjust the timing let alone...what it really is...

Any enlightenment?

His wife the deal maker once again suggested I just pay less for it and take it as is instead of waiting on her husband to take a look at it(it's been about a month.) I'm thinking about it, but I'd very much like to drive the thing before dishing out any money, even if I could get it extremely cheaply.

Thanks for any input.

EDIT: Micali: you said to ask for pics...maybe I need some? Tab by harmonic balancer? If I have to set it to 10*BTDC, how would I achieve that if it goes 4, 8, 16, etc. Just set it inbetween there somewhere? Thanks everyone.

micali 09-21-2008 12:54 PM

Tell them you would like to get the car to start before you do anything and see if they mind if you work on it. If not walk away. You don't want to buy something that you don't know how to work on especially if it's not running. You wouldn't know where to start.

let me try and get some pics of the timing tab.

No he couldn't hurt the motor it will either run or not and if it's way out and it runs it will run like crap. Fixing the timing is setting it correctly. I explained in a previous post on how to do it. It's not that hard

Will the car start up? It will need to be to set the timing. If not then I would loosen the dizzy(distributor) turn it a fraction left or right and try and start it. Turn it a little more the same way and try again. If not turn it the other way and try. You should hit a spot where it should try and fire.

check your pm

startercar 09-21-2008 03:55 PM

Well alright, thanks Micali, I feel like I understand this a lot more now. I've also been reading up more on how to use the timing light, and it doesn't seem like such a hard task. The guy is supposedly calling tonight, I'll see what he has to say.

Thanks!

startercar 09-21-2008 07:04 PM

Doh.

Well I was actually kind of anxious to do that, but it looks like the guy is going to do it himself afterall. And this week too, supposedly. I should know whether or not I'm buying it by this weekend, as the guy should have it in running order by then.

I'll let ya know. The thing I'm worried about right now is the floorboards...when I looked under the car before there was a slight bit of rust, but I didn't get a chance to check how deep it was....that would be repairable though if only surface rust though right? Sand it down, prime it, repaint it?

Thanks.

micali 09-21-2008 08:03 PM

they can be replaced if needed but if they are not bad you can sand them down and put some por15 on them and that will stop any rust that is left and prevent anymore from forming. You can put this stuff right over rust without sanding but you must remove the loose stuff so it can stick to something. When it hardens it will make the metal stronger and you can paint over it.
I would put that stuff and then spray undercoating on it.
IF this is to expensive then you can buy this stuff at wal-mart that you spray on or paint on and it does almost the same thing but needs to be covered up to really keep the protection. It will stop the rust but you have to cover everything. With this stuff you must scrape as much off as you can and then apply it.

I bought my car from MO and it has some surface rust but not much. I will do the same when I get the chance.

startercar 09-21-2008 09:35 PM

Thanks, I'll look into the por15. Hopefully the rust isn't too bad...

Like I said, I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks for all the support! :)