Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   Heated O2 sensor help needed (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/756029-heated-o2-sensor-help.html)

broke91firebird 09-12-2018 12:14 PM

Heated O2 sensor help needed

I have been having problems with my O2 sensor hot getting hot enough. I installed a 3 wire O2 sensor but it only preheat to 399. I've tried 2 different sensors, same problem
I've got headers, a free flowing thrush muffler and open pipes the rest of the way out.
Anyone else have this problem?

Tibo 09-12-2018 03:03 PM

Re: Heated O2 sensor help needed

First test to do might be to find out how many amps it should use and then measure how many it's pulling. I actually don't know how hot they are supposed to get. I never had problems with a heated O2 sensor with long tubes. How did you wire it?

Tuned Performance 09-12-2018 03:13 PM

I think it only draws up to a half of a amp.
i would think the o2 should see 5-600f to become active.

broke91firebird 09-12-2018 06:03 PM

According to my tunerpro data logs the O2 has to hit 500°f to become "ready". Both my heated ones only preheat to 399ish then climb to around 430ish. That's still too low and keeps kicking an error code 13.
I have the power drawing off the MAF power wire and the ground to a chassis ground stud I installed that's connected to the engine block ground strap and to the negative battery cable.

Tibo 09-13-2018 02:49 PM

Where is the sensor located or how far from the cylinder head? In stock configuration they came with a non-heated sensor so I'm hesitant to say your codes are because of the sensor itself

Tuned Performance 09-13-2018 02:53 PM

Code 13- This code is set by a O2 sensor problem. It is normally set when there is a open circuit or the O2 sensor is coated with soot from a over rich

Six_Shooter 09-13-2018 04:10 PM

Where are you getting the sensor temperature from?

Also as Tuned Performance is pointing out, code 13 is not to do with sensor temperature, but a circuit problem usually, and low activity will sometimes set it.

broke91firebird 09-13-2018 06:09 PM

The sensor is in The "stock" location. Roughly 12 inches from where the 2 legs come together.
the temperature is coming from the "converter temperature" reading in tunerpro RT.
So do think I should check wiring next? I got a new sensor figuring maybe it fouled when the car was running like garbage before but the new sensor does the same exact thing.
The main reason I was wondering about the temperature is because Tunerpro doesn't see the sensor as "ready" until 450-500. If the car runs 5-10 minutes with the o2 sensor as "not ready" it kicks code 13

Six_Shooter 09-13-2018 11:40 PM

The "temperature" in TP is simply a calculation, not actual temperature. I don't know how it derives this number but it's useless IMO.

Yes, check the wiring, especially the signal wire.

broke91firebird 09-13-2018 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter (Post 6250531)
The "temperature" in TP is simply a calculation, not actual temperature. I don't know how it derives this number but it's useless IMO.

Yes, check the wiring, especially the signal wire.

Oh. Ok thank you I will do that

RBob 09-14-2018 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by broke91firebird (Post 6250222)
I have the power drawing off the MAF power wire...

Stock a '91 doesn't have a MAF, did you mean the MAP sensor? If so that is only a 5 volt feed.

RBob.

broke91firebird 09-14-2018 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by RBob (Post 6250583)
Stock a '91 doesn't have a MAF, did you mean the MAP sensor? If so that is only a 5 volt feed.

RBob.

This question was about my other car, my 86 Camaro not my signature Firebird.
I found the problem last night. When I installed the 3 wire O2 I apparently forgot st solder the signal wire. Both the power and ground wires were soldered which makes it weird.
after soldering the signal wire too it works fantastic, I didn't even make it out of the garage before the O2 sensor was "ready"
Thank you everyone