Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Exuast Wraps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 06:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Exuast Wraps?

First of all are they worth it? Can they be put on with the headers already installed? I was looking at the DEI wrap kit that comes w/ silicone spray, anyone ever used it?

------------------
'86 IROC
T-TOPS, TINTED WINDOWS, BRAKE LIGHT BLACKOUTS
GM GOODWRENCH 350
EDELBROCK TES HEADERS
FLOWMASTER
EDELBROCK 600CFM CARB.
KN AIRFILTER
UNDERDRIVE PULLEY
ACCEL HEI DISTRIBUTOR
2:73 GEARS
Old 04-18-2001, 07:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If this is what I am thinking of, doesn't it void the warrenty on your headers? I guess they might be past warrenty anyways though.
Old 04-18-2001, 08:58 PM

I have had people tell me that header wrap can facilitate crystalizing of the headers. What I mean is that the headers will become brittle and breakable.
Old 04-18-2001, 11:00 PM

Car: 1971 Corvette
Engine: 6.0 LS1 L92 heads sheet metal etc.
Transmission: M21 4-speed
Axle/Gears: 3.36
bad plan. i had my headers wrapped for one season and the metal started to pit underneath. not to mention whenever you have to change plugs or do anything else where you touch the headers, you will be itchy for hours because the wrapping material is usually fiberglass based.

spend your money else where.

------------------
88 S10
Dropped 3/4
18" Boyd Coddington Timeless 5s
Dart equipped 406
12.20 @ 115.25 mph
Old 04-19-2001, 07:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula Firehawk (Clone)
Engine: 350 with Firehawk Package
Transmission: 700R4
...know of two people (TBRYNE being one of them) who lost their cars to fires caused directly by the header wrap. If you spill oil (or any combustible fluid) on the wrap, it saturates the wrap and will ignite when the fluid's ignition temperature is reached. In addition, as others here have stated, it promotes the rusting or corrosion of the header. You're far better off getting them coated.

------------------
jimbo

Mosquito Coast F-Body Association (MCFBA)

1991 Formula SLP350
1999 Trans Am Firehawk
Old 04-19-2001, 09:40 AM
Banned

You know I had my headers wrapped with thermo tech on my 86 TPI and had nothing but good experiences. Kept heat down under the hood whic is a big help in street performance and also keep the nois under the hood down a little. For $50 I think it was worth it. I had it on there for 3 years and had no problems. As far as spills igniting fires, nope had all kinds of tranny fluid, oil and other stuff fall on them, never did have a fire. I would do it again if I was installing another set.

For installation, well it won't be as easy as if they were off the car, but it can be done. My brother did it to his 97 GTP stock manifolds while they were on the car.

------------------
89 Trans Am Turbo 3.8L All stock 43,000 miles #1053 of 1555

Past Thirdgen:
86 Trans Am w/ built 355TPI with SLP goodies and too much other stuff to List. One sweet *** car, wish I would have had a good enough Job to pay insurance on three cars so I could keep it, but for a 89 Turbo Trans Am w/ Low miles, I think I made the right choice!
Old 04-20-2001, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Header Tape" ha s received it's knocks over the years(not all undeserved) and most complaints can be traced to improper installation. If the tape does not cover the pipe continously or is not completely sealed, it is possible for moisture to become trapped between the tape and the header, which may lead to corrosion. Further, as the primary purpose of the tape is to retain exhaust heat within the header, the average temperatures may become excessive to the point of overheating the metal(especially in the case of very thin-guage headers or those treated with an 'aluminized' coating).

These days there are alternatives available in ceramic coating, which are more efficient in retaining heat in the exhaust system and these coating can be less costly than tape if their application is done at home. Techline Coatings has a variety of water-based coatings that will not cause harmfull or noxious(sp?) vapours during application and curing.

I have coated my SLP's with their products outside(anti-corrosion) and -more importantly- inside(thermal barrier). In a few weeks when I remove the intake(more important things to do first) I intend to coat the base, runners and plenum with both thermal barrier and a chrome-like top coat.

Ther are other uses for ceramic-coatings(most notably friction reduction) and you can get an idea of the variety of applications by visiting <a href="http://www.techlinecoatings.com/">Techline Coatings</a> web site.

p.s. You can download a pricelist from their website and from my admittedly limited research, they appear to have the lowest prices of any DIY ceramic coatings.

p.p.s. The headers I coated were done in January and, are off of a car I haven't driven since December. Thus I have no idea yet on how effective their coatings are or will be. This is why I can't, yet, comment on the effectiveness of the applied products.