Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

1/2 way headlight mod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx
Engine: Turbo KA24DE
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 4.08 VLSD
1/2 way headlight mod?

Ok, in the effort to make my car unique, I have decided to try to mod the headlights. What I would like them to do is only come up like half way but still be aimed correctly.

Like this guy..

Any ideas how to do this? I think the main problem is making the motors stop at the right point, and then all you need to do is install and aim the bulbs. Ideas??
Old 10-16-2004, 12:59 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
It takes quite a bit of work and, I've never had the privilage of messing w/the older style headlight motors so I don't know exactly how they would work. If I were to guess though, they probably have limiter switches like an overhead door operator (garage door opener) to control the stop limits of the motor.

The newer, '87+, limiter simply works off resistance to stop the motor (sort of like a garage door opener too).

The lamps are the 2x5 used in grand prix, 93+camaro and a few other cars. There are no high beams which isn't an issue since I have driving lamps. I'm not sure but, I think Sylvania maks a dual element bulb that can replace the single element. I haven't looked into it so don't quote me on that.
Attached Thumbnails 1/2 way headlight mod?-hd06.jpg  
Old 10-16-2004, 02:55 PM
Supreme Member

Ok thanks for the info. I actually saw your work on a few searches I did, but I wasnt sure how you had planned to get the motors to stop at the right height. I guell I'll just have to play with it. And get some newer motors from the junkyard next time I go.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:48 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
Below is all the info I have about the older lights.
It appears that #1 are the limiter arms that travel with the motor movement. They contact #3 to stop the motor (which would be the limiter switch). You would still have to make a stop peice for the arm to contact and brace against but, the limiter would have to be modified accordingly to the new travel limit. Granted, I'm only guessing about these motors, I could easily be waaay off on their operation.
The other option of using new motors, you'd have to completely rewire everything for the motors as the newer design is a 2 wire motor and only has one relay module (instead of 3wire motors and 3 relays).
If some jackass didn't steal all the 'bird and feiro motors from the yards here, I'd probably get one just to take apart to satisfy my own curiousity.
Attached Thumbnails 1/2 way headlight mod?-asdf.gif  
Old 10-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Supreme Member

Haha that sucks. My junkyard has these things practically everywhere. I think I might just go and see if I can find myself some more. Or, I can take the newer ones off my '87 and switch 'em before I sell it lol. Anyways, thanks for the help. I dont know where you found those diagrams but they help. Keep me posted on your work, eh?
Old 10-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ 3.73
Re: 1/2 way headlight mod?

Originally posted by 305q_ta86
Like this guy..
From his pictures, it doesn't look like his headlights go back down very often. 90% of his pictures have them up - even the day ones. There are a few shots of it with them down though

As for the first gen light system, you might want to head over to fiero.nl and chat with some of those guys about headlights. They know a ton about them (a few have done your mod with the first gen system). Another note on the first gen system: it stops bassed of motor resistance too. There's a trip switch that detects when the motors are not spinning anymore and kills power to them. Also: if you need rebuild parts rodney dickman is the person to go to (he makes a brass gear for them).