Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Different colour... Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 05:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Different colour... Should I?

I remember the first time I saw Smoky and the Bandit and fell in love with that car. One of my most memorable "childhood cars" was my mom's 87 Sunbird GT Turbo convertible that was black and gold 2 tone.
When I found my car, it was black, I've always intended keeping it black, adding the gold birds and painting the ground effects gold... However, the first time I saw the new mazda "soul red" I was impressed, and nearly every time I see this colour I think I should paint the T/A that colour when I do the full strip/restoration... I'm pretty torn here as I've always wanted the black/gold, but this red would look super sharp with gunmetal accents, or even gold as well... Plus, people would stop calling my car KITT

Here's the colour:
Attached Thumbnails Different colour... Should I?-2016_mazda_cx3_picture-20-16-.jpg  
Old 10-22-2016, 05:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Re: Different colour... Should I?

#1 reason to use black is it hides speed visually, unlike arrest me red and ticket me yellow that looks to be going 120 at all times...
Old 10-22-2016, 05:35 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

This thread needs 2 things:

You to add car details here:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/prof...do=editprofile

And lots of red ( whatever your third gen is ) pics.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56

Originally Posted by Gumby
#1 reason to use black is it hides speed visually, unlike arrest me red and ticket me yellow that looks to be going 120 at all times...
Yep, first concern was how much red sticks out... Honestly, with the way I drive the car, and how loud it is, I'm lucky I have't received a ticket or a warning in it... I don't speed any more than average traffic, I just get to that speed a lot quicker. I've been to meets/shows where every 3rd gen is black.

Originally Posted by jmd
This thread needs 2 things:

You to add car details here:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/prof...do=editprofile

And lots of red ( whatever your third gen is ) pics.
Never noticed I hadn't filled any of that out.
Car is an 87 T-top T/A, with an LS1/T56, Black leather on grey interior. Currently has chrome 16" Iroc replicas on it but I want to change them out to something like a C-6 ZO6 style wheel or 17" snowflakes.