Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Install Advice - Hawks Wing/Spoiler- 89 TA

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: sold
Install Advice - Hawks Wing/Spoiler- 89 TA

Hi All- I searched the forums in Body and see several posts..most older except one, regarding the Hawks fiberglass spoiler. I bought one and we are getting ready for paint and running into fitment issues. The spoiler will not cover the 3 clips on the glass, and it seems the deck lid holes will need to be enlarged just a bit as well - that is easy enough. Anyone have good luck - or figure out - how to install these so the clips are covered on the glass? They are unsightly. And are the 2 hooks they provide really enough?

Last edited by Bluestreek; 01-15-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo
Re: Install Advice - Hawks Wing/Spoiler- 89 TA

The clips supplied are sufficient, if you install as directed. I think there used to keep the wing spread apart enough to cover those hatch clip supports.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1990 Firebird Formula
Engine: LB9 - 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73, LSD
Re: Install Advice - Hawks Wing/Spoiler- 89 TA

I wish I did a search prior to installing mine. I didn't realize these clips were supposed to stay on, since the directions stated that the new spoiler doesn't use them...currently in the process of cutting them off and grinding them down as I did with my 90 Formula.

Those two clips are definitely enough to hold on the aero wing. A pickup truck's tonneau cover uses the same principle and they are very stable and secure.