DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Software preferences

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Software preferences

I have run across TunerCat and TunerPro for my '91 Y car. I am a member of a couple of Corvette forums and other than a few people not much going on as far as tuning and programming. My current needs very modest, delete EGR error, change fan on temp, remove VATS and possibly raising idle speed a couple hundred rpm if engine is getting hot to circulate more water.

As usual money always matters to some degree but I also have no illusions of modifying the engine. My initial take is the TunerCat stuff is pretty straight up though is where it is never to change or get any better but if it does what needs to be done it really does not matter. The TunerPro stuff is heavily user supported and may or may not be fully debugged. I have an AutoXray scanner so seeing what is going on is no problem.

All thoughts welcome
Old 09-10-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Software preferences

A lot of folks like TunerCAT as it is easier to use.For the modest changes you want to make it is likely the better solution.

RBob.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:29 PM

Is there such a thing as a $8D definition file that is public domain? I found a ANHT.bin file that is for a '90 instead of a '91 but close enough to see what I am getting into with the tuner Cat software before buying it. All I want to do is test drive for an hour and if useful will buy it. Looked in my electronics stuff back when I was doing embedded systems on single board systems and have a Needhams eprom burner/reader so don't think I need to buy that will read the directions later to make sure it supports the chips needed though was current when the car was new. If there is a source not to be broadcast let me know and will either erase it if I hate the software or buy a copy of it and the mask if it fits my expectations. If this an inappropriate post just delete it as well.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

I'd use Tuner Pro, it's fully function as free use (just a 10 second nag popup at start up). Lots of definitions and plenty of people use it do if you have questions someone will be able to answer them. If you want to support Mark, there is a $39 registration that allows the nag pop up to be closed before the 10 seconds is up and Mark makes a great program.

I rarely see talk about Tuner Cat, and have only tried to demo for it years ago... So I can't really say whether TC is easier or more difficult to use than TP, but when I tried the demo years ago it didn't seem worth the price to me, which is why I used TP and used it for free for a while before I figured out a way to pay the registration (no CC at the time and PayPal might have just been new...)

There are plenty of $8D definition files for TP, both XDF and ADX, along with some custom ones that people have made to make things easier or more involved depending what they wanted out of the files. Check on gearhead-efi.com for more def files.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:15 PM

Ok found a plain jane 8d mask and ANHD bin for a '91 and TunerPro and playing with it. The switches section redefine cryptic at a whole new level. The flyover clues are meaningless as don't last long enough to mentally translate them if I had a sheet.

I found idle speed vs. temp and A/F ratio for lambda 1, with E10 this will fix a lot, along with fan temps.

I did not find disable Vats only what I believe to be VATS errors, if they are the same fine and the test will be to jump start enable solenoid and have a key ground with no resistor pellet. I think I found the setting in switches to eliminate EGR errors and assume I can eliminate AIR error by zeroing out changes in voltage for it engaged and see if there are any error and zero them out though have not found that switch as of yet.

Found my Eprom burner and eraser and chips are cheap. It has been since around 1998 since I used it and instructions are sparse but the company is still in biz so no doubt can get the short answers there. Eproms are cheap so no big deal there. Found XP drivers and have an XP machine kicking around and possibly an old MSDOS one. I think I have a parallel port cable as never throw that stuff out either.

If this all works can make the upgrades for well under 75 bucks and closer to 50.