Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

no wipers

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no wipers

Hey guys, new member here. Recently purchased an 89 RS for my two teenage sons. Ive been upgrading and improving all safety components ie, steering, suspension, etc. Currently trying to get the wipers working. I have no response from wipers or washer pump. I have used a test light at the connection under the column and DO have 12v at the white wire, but have no corresponding voltage at any of the other wires when activating the switch at the column. Not sure if that is the best way to diagnose whether i have a bad switch or not. Any help would be appreciated. I have tilt, non delay...of course no one has that switch available. So, if this is my problem, what are my issues of using a tilt, w delay switch as my replacement? If it just means i would have working wipers w no actual delay, I'm fine with that...lol Just need working wipers!
Old 10-31-2014, 09:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: no wipers

Originally Posted by fme2nou
Hey guys, new member here. Recently purchased an 89 RS for my two teenage sons. Ive been upgrading and improving all safety components ie, steering, suspension, etc. Currently trying to get the wipers working. I have no response from wipers or washer pump. I have used a test light at the connection under the column and DO have 12v at the white wire, but have no corresponding voltage at any of the other wires when activating the switch at the column. Not sure if that is the best way to diagnose whether i have a bad switch or not. Any help would be appreciated. I have tilt, non delay...of course no one has that switch available. So, if this is my problem, what are my issues of using a tilt, w delay switch as my replacement? If it just means i would have working wipers w no actual delay, I'm fine with that...lol Just need working wipers!
Hi and welcome to TGO . I had a quick look at the wiring diagram for your wipers and if you do have power on the white wire , but no other wires like the pink , purple , dark green , grey and possibly yellow get power no matter what position you turn the switch to then either the switch itself has failed or the wires leading to it have broken from flexing during the tilting of the wheel over the many years and miles . This I'm certain of

Now , as to whether or not a delay VS no delay switch will work interchangeably , I honestly don't know and wouldn't want to steer ya wrong with an "I think" .

PS , when you change the switch , don't forget to tie a good sturdy piece of string to the switch's wires before you pull the wires and switch up and out of the steering column . Without this string in place you would have no means of pulling the new switch's wires down through the very narrow place the wires need to run , and much swearing will result

Best of luck with it