Firebirds for Sale Post your Firebird for Sale.

1988 Firebird Formula 96K miles Tucson, AZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Corvette, 1985 Z28
Engine: 383 Vortec HSR, 350 Vortec TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.83
1988 Firebird Formula 96K miles Tucson, AZ

Hello all, I recently acquired a 1988 firebird, I purchased it because of the mileage - the price was right and it had sub 100K.

Asking price: 2000 OBO as is

After pouring time and money into it, I have decided to sell. I need to free up room around the house.

I will post a link to my local Craigslist ad, but will give additional info to you guys here because you're all familiar with the cars and would appreciate the extra detail. Without further ado:

The car was originally black, and is now white, and based on the "City of New York" parking stickers on every single glass surface, I surmise that it began its life on the east coast before finding its way out West some time in the last decade or so. The body is rust free as far as I can tell, so it was either cared for meticulously, or didn't spend long in the east (or in conditions that warrant rust).

Under the hood is a 305 TPI, freshly rebuilt by me. The block has been ridge reamed and honed, but no hard machining or boring was required. I replaced the crankshaft, pistons, and all bearings and seals in the engine, and had it jet boiled at a local shop to clean it up. A few coats of Chevy orange finished the engine clean up.

For driveability, there are a few quirks with the car but nothing serious. It takes a solid 5 seconds of cranking to start, which is longer than it should IMO. It could be an ignition issue, but I have verified that it is getting adequate fuel pressure (45 psi after the pump kicks off).

While cruising in overdrive, sometimes there is a pulsing, for lack of a better term, that oscillates the engine about 25-50 RPMs, causing a mild jerking of the car, hard to notice unless you're looking for it. The problem is very intermittent, but you should be aware of it.

The brakes work good but should be bled again, I think there is a little mush in the pedal that shouldn't be there.

It needs the Cruise control and washer fluid vacuum lines replaced. One headlight motor was missing when I bought the car, so I retro-fitted a 4th gen unit in place using zip ties so the hideaway headlight would work. The fix is temporary and a 3rd gen unit should be found and used.

The body is straight except for a small dent on the passenger fender that I filled slightly and painted. It needs more work to be perfect. The paint is the worst on the nose, in fact the whole car should probably just be repainted because it was a backyard rattle can job (not by me).

Interior:
Dash is cracked to hell but covered by a dash mat. Floor carpets are in good shape, mats could use some help but I cleaned them up the best I could. Front seats should be reupholstered, they have covers on them currently. I replaced the back seat with one from a 4th Gen 'Maro.

Console lid is busted but functions. The radio bezel is missing, and the climate controls and radio flop around in there because they're not screwed down or anchored to their housing.

The steering wheel was assembled by a hack, and doesn't line up as it should. By far the most annoying and apparent flaw of the car. I intend to replace this properly with a stock unit and line it up as it should be, as well as replace the turn signal wand and turn signal switch inside the steering column.

Rear hatch struts need replacing, the front hood struts are brand new.

I'd love to see someone give this thing the time and attention it deserves, there is a lot of potential in this old bird.

I drove it to work for several weeks to make sure there weren't any system bugs or anything else I needed to replace to make it a solid runner. What you see is what you get. PM me for contact info if you would like to schedule a viewing or purchase the car. I will upload pictures tonight via a 3rd party hosting site.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/5441223674.html

- Don

Last edited by FalconZ28; 03-09-2016 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Spelling/ grammar, post info updates