Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Best affordable shock/strut setup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L 350 TPI (Deleted Cats)
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Original 3.27
Best affordable shock/strut setup?

My 89 Trans am gta has the original shock and struts, looking to replace them. I want something slightly better then stock, the car is mainly used for going to shows and crusing. Just curious as to what everybody runs on their cars and how they ride.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Best affordable shock/strut setup?

ANYTHING is better than the wore-out hundred-yr-old stock CRAP you have now. (except maybe, Gabriel...)

Define "affordable".

KYB is one of the often used "+0" kind of options. You know what that means... fits stock specs, works with other stock parts, satisfies people who expect "stock", rides no worse than "stock", costs not too dreadfully much more than stock.

For going to shows, "chrome" is obligatory. The more sq in the better as we all know which is why I don't participate in that sort of thing. (I HATE krome) Not sure I've ever seen any such thing. Monroe Gas-Matics will get it on and off the trailer. They're yellow. Most of the real-world parts you can buy are kinda drab looking.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 12-03-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: '86 Iroc Z & '91 RS
Engine: 305 TPI & 305 Qjet - Future LC9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Best affordable shock/strut setup?

If you have the original rear bilstiens they can be sent in and rebuilt, albeit, still pricey,, front struts were always AC Delco's, I went Yellow Koni all the way around on one, and cheap on the other AC Delco front struts $40 a piece and $5 a piece discontinued gas charged rear shocks found on rockauto .. you will notice differences, but, Works fine either way... you will notice a huge improvement over old worn out blown shocks and struts as Sofa has mentioned above..