Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > TBI
Register Forgot Password?

TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 07-13-2006, 12:51 PM   #1

Car: 1986 Olds Cutlass Supreme
Engine: 350
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: good question...

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Shake Zula
stock TBI with a big cam?

Im gonna be buying back a TBI camaro I sold to my friend last year. I want to drop my 350 right in and use the stock TBI setup if possible. Buts it got a big cam, 234/242, .539/.558. I just want to know if the stock TBI stuff and computer can be tuned to run decently. Im talking a 13.99 tune. For the amount of money I put into the motor I might as well reuse it than sell it for a fraction of what I spent, so dont try to talk me into using different setup, I dont have the money. my only other alternative is an Edelbrock 600cfm carb and regular dual plane intake. Plus I love the choppy idle it has.

So, either it can be tuned, or it absolutely cannot. Whos got the answer?

Last edited by Shake Zula; 07-13-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Shake Zula is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
Supreme Member

Car: 84' Monte
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: ferd 9" posi 3.50 gears

It most certainly can be tuned, but I wouldn't try it without learning the ropes on a stock setup first. Also with a cam that big the stock code is a little lacking, actually with that cam you're going to have to accept some limitations. Lucky for you Rbob's new EBL fixes all of this, the alpha-N mode will pretty much eliminate the need to fool around with MAP filtering at idle.

I tuned a 218*/226* cam on a completely new engien combo with no prior experience and it was difficult. It took me 3 evenings worth of tinkering to get it moving under it's own power and a week to get it to the point that I wasn't afraid to pull into traffic. It took me almost 6 months to get it "right". I can get it "right" in about a week now. So most of that time was spent learning how to tune the computer rather actually tuning the motor.
BMmonteSS is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #3

Car: 1986 Olds Cutlass Supreme
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: good question...

Send a message via AIM to Shake Zula
Two of my friends are pretty good at tuning, thats why Id like to keep the TBI. No way I could do it myself.
Shake Zula is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:59 PM   #4

I second that answer - Do it! One thing I ran into was lack of fuel on the top end though, so be prepared to get bigger injectors or up your fuel pressure.
Chadster86S10 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:59 PM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > TBI

Tags
350, big, bigger, biggest, cam, chevy, choppy, computer, idle, large, run, stock, tbi, timing, tune