TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Occasional fuel vapor/new fuel pump gurgling sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Occasional fuel vapor/new fuel pump gurgling sound

I have a 92 Camaro rs, 305 TBI

I haven't posted in a while. My car has been idling rough for a while now. Only has several times randomly died , (either when first trying to crank it) or if I start it and I am sitting idling doing something and then I put it in gear it might kill it or when I push on the gas. but this is so random (maybe like days/ weeks apart).

I have not tested the fuel pressure yet (something I am long overdue for) and probably because I need the TBI adapter than just connecting it to the rail. but I have the adapter I just need to.

New recent things going on, I'd say at least the past month or 2 now is. I occasional smell fuel vapors. Once I was just a not tighten gas cap, and sometimes I am trying to think if it was coming from my car or a car near me. I could never tell, this is when I am driving. I smelled it earlier and I did not go to the gas station. so I couldn't figure it out.

When you loosen the gas cap, pressure is released.

I have replaced the charcoal canister vent valve.

My emissions smell stronger now (or stinky). I do have a loud rear end exhaust, but its because the muffler and intermediate pipe Is not welded together (the muffler has been replaced). occasional rotten egg smell.

sometimes I know its a gas thing. sometimes I wonder if its another car (if Im driving in traffic). 02 sensor has been replaced. cat. converter not yet. car has 160,000 miles on it now.. was 152,000 when I got it.. however, the mileage counter wasn't working when I got it and I fixed it. the 152,000 was last filed back in 2008 and the tires when I got it our from 2012, so who knows how many additional mile are on it. just saying that because the parts could be older than they may seem.

it does lack power, going up hills, and accelerating.

when I first turn the key on, I listen to the fuel pump priming then shutting off.

I've done this just about everytime, because I never figured out what could be causing the symptoms. and ive had this same year Camaro , years ago and when my fuel pumps went, they went.

today when I turned the key on , after going shopping for like an hour at the store, I listened and hear it priming then hear a gurgling sound towards the end. then stopped.. turn the key back off. waiting a couple min, then turn just the key on again and did the same thing.

I've already in the past few months have replaced just about everything , sensors (except the knock and AIT sensor) , vacuum hoses, all the ignition system (Minus the switch), like cap/rotor, spark plugs wires module and coil.

a few times I have heard a hissing sound (without the air or defrost being on) when I turned it off or at least it sounded like one, but I didn't really pop the hood because I was in a hurry to work.

any ideas? is this a fuel pump issue? (I will check the pressure, long overdue). vapor canister? something else?

also does anyone have a link or information on fuel pump repair? I know its a lot of work (and $700 if I paid someone) but the manuals I have are too generic and youtube doesn't show anything good that I could find. if anyone has a good link or something on changing out the fuel pump of a 3rd gen Camaro. appreciate that too. thanks!
Old 03-12-2016, 10:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Occasional fuel vapor/new fuel pump gurgling sound

You already know you need to check fuel pump pressure.

You already know that aftermarket "service manuals" like Chiltons are a near-waste of paper.

A REAL service manual is likely available on eBay for pennies on the dollar compared to buying one from Helm, Inc. I've bought several, but not for a Camaro.

At 150,000 plus miles, you can be pretty sure the cat converter(s) are toast. Even if they're not melted or plugged, they could be plain ol' worn-out.

I paid $650 to stuff a fuel pump into a '93 Lumina. I was effectively stranded 2,000 miles from home. I replaced the fuel pump in my '92 Lumina in my driveway, in an afternoon, for <$90.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:50 PM

Car: 92 RS, 02 Tacoma, 2 73 Porsche 914s

No need for a manual when you have thirdgen.org... there is nothing that will happen to your car that hasnt already to someone elses and has been fixed.

Fuel pump replacement requires an empty tank, jacking the rear of the car up high, dropping the rear end out of the way, drop the tank, replace the pump. Or there are threads on here that say its ok to cut a hole in the rear of the trunk area. Your car, your life, your call... search search search. Report back what you find.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:53 PM

Car: 92 RS, 02 Tacoma, 2 73 Porsche 914s

And it sounds like vac leak in a line and bad cat. Rotten egg smell can really be nothing else. Other stuff is trivial til the exhaust is redone and doesnt leak.