Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Baseline Service Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baseline Service Help

Greetings all, just picked up an 89 IROC convertible survivor with 17K on the odometer. Want to do a few baseline services but am finding the Official GM manual lacking in a few bits of info. Maybe you guys can help

Anyone know the approximate capacity of the power steering fluid? I don'twant to overbuy the pricey GM fluid.

Since DEXTRON II tranny fluid is no longer made, what should I use? Should Ihave it flushed by a machine and exchanged or just drop the pan and change thefilter and re add fluid. I'm not too keen on mixing different versions offluid.

I already have the fuel filter changed and am going to flush the brake fluidand coolant.

Car is minty fresh and just want piece of mind in regards to her service. Anythingyou all could add or recommend is appreciated.

Thanks

JOn
Old 05-03-2016, 05:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Baseline Service Help

No need to buy GM PS fluid. Any brand will do just as well. Total system takes something near 2 qts.

Any commonly available Dexron ATF will work fine. Again, not critical what brand or any of that. As far as flushing, that depends on what what's there now, looks like. Be on your guard though: the places that flush it are transmission shops, and they REALLY like to sell transmissions, so don't be too surprised if they (a) refuse to do it because it's too old, or (b) put the hard sell on you, or (c) "accidentally" do something spurious to it that causes you to need a new one real soon.

Pan drain takes around 6 qts. Mixing doesn't matter.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

If you are going to flush the power steering system, buy a gallon. If you are just topping off, a quart will be more than sufficient.

Use Dextron III. Do NOT flush the trans. I have always found that to be a bad idea......

With that few miles, it has apparently been sitting for quite a while.... wouldn't hurt to change the fluid in the rear diff, repack front wheel bearings, etc.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I think a pan drop and tranny filter change is what I will do. As for the rear dif, I have to hit that as well. I read in the manual about the need for an additive. I'm not sure what rear end the car has. The window sticker was not with the car.

Also, do you all know what temp the thermostat is? I figured I'd swap that out too while I had the coolant drained. The car is a TBI 305 Auto.

The guy I bought if from drove it 2k in four years. He bought from a fancy classic car dealer in NC with 15K on it. It has original paint, top and interior and looks brand new.

Just plan to go thru it, keep it nice and drive it when I can.

Last edited by R1300HAYABUSA; 05-03-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

I *Think* it's 195, but, don't quote me on that. Your local parts store will know. Don't bother with the 'failsafe' 'stats, they fail in pretty short order.

Check the tag on the rear diff. Might be two of 'em.... one should tell you the gear ratio, and if it's LSD, there will also be one referring to that. Just to be safe, I always get the gear lube that already has the additive in it.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

Originally Posted by R1300HAYABUSA
Greetings all, just picked up an 89 IROC convertible survivor with 17K on the odometer. Want to do a few baseline services but am finding the Official GM manual lacking in a few bits of info. Maybe you guys can help

Anyone know the approximate capacity of the power steering fluid? I don'twant to overbuy the pricey GM fluid.
My reference shows 3.6 pints. This is for 1987 model year. I'd say buy three quarts. You can return the unopened quart if you don't use it.

Originally Posted by R1300HAYABUSA
Since DEXTRON II tranny fluid is no longer made, what should I use? Should Ihave it flushed by a machine and exchanged or just drop the pan and change thefilter and re add fluid. I'm not too keen on mixing different versions offluid.
Drop the pan and change the filter. I wouldn't bother with a flush or a fluid exchange. I would use Dexron VI. It's backward compatible with Dexron II. No issues with mixing different versions.