Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

I have a problem with my car idling poorly and not driving.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 RS Camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
I have a problem with my car idling poorly and not driving.

Hi,
I am having an issue with my car. When I start it up, it'll rev up to 2500 rpm, then stall out right away. After a couple times of this it will rev up to 2500 rpm, drop down to 100 or less rpm, threatening to stall, rev back up to 2500 and repeat. It's almost impossible to drive. First and second gear is constant sputtering and threatening to stall, almost zero power. Third, fourth and fifth gear are smoother, but still very little power.

I have tried replacing the fuel filter, coil, spark plugs, and cleaned the throttle body. I noticed that when I sprayed a lot of throttle body cleaner in there it would idle normally. I still had no power when I tried to drive but the rpms weren't bouncing up and down. I also poured gasoline directly into the throttle body which had the same result. Normal idling, almost zero drivability.

There aren't any new check engine light codes. Just the same vehicle speed sensor which the part has been discontinued. I drove it about 40 miles after I put fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank, but that probably didn't even make the slightest effort to clean the fuel injectors.

I'd appreciate any input from you guys.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: I have a problem with my car idling poorly and not driving.

WELCOME BUTTPOLE! Nice name by the way.

Try this procedure to the letter. It's a start. Good luck.

https://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/tpimod2.shtml

TBI or TPI?