Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

if you just bought your first thirdgen READ THIS

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2002 ws6, 2011 sierra 6.2L 6 speed
Engine: ls1
Transmission: M6
Axle/Gears: 3:42's
Re: if you just bought your first thirdgen READ THIS

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
It's people like you that members need to avoid listening to. Your basing your research on what, speculation? A 1.94" intake valve is small for a 305 lol? Are you serious? Truly you don't know what your talking about. The cylinder heads "shroud" the valve lol? Is this apart of that wonderful research of yours? Have you ported a 305 cylinder head? Well, have you? Have you run that ported set on a 305 after you were done? Well, have you?

I have my friend, and what you say is completely fluff because you have no idea what you are talking about. Here are my stock 1.84" intake valve cylinder heads that I am running on my turbo 305 (see below), which are obviously smaller than 1.94" cylinder heads... you think they don't flow well lol? I ported the chamber out to easily clear a 1.94" valve as well which I will be reseating for and installing in the coming few weeks. My ten second trap speed at 15-psi proves to me otherwise as to every single thing you are saying. Wanna prove to me, factually, the contrary? Can you? Go ahead, I will wait to see you post somebody else's research, or words, and then I will laugh my azz off because your words are hollow and empty backed by no research or work on your own whatsoever...

you obviously don't know what you're talking about. I didn't say a 1.94 is a small valve for a 305, it's a small valve, period. furthermore, it's the cylinder WALL that shrounds the valve because of the SMALL BORE, not the cylinder head. performance engine building 101. you aren't reading well because you are angry as you know that i am correct.

you can build 305's all you like. it's not that they can't make power, there's just no point in building one as you will always be behind when compared to a similar bigger bore SBC.

probably the best performance upgrade you could do to a 305 is bore it out to 4"....
Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Camaro RS
Engine: obd2 350 lt1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by Phenom-1
Kenne Bell Cobra or Mach 1 is 4th Gen heavily modded LT1 or mild mod LS1 SS or WS6 Territory.
What's your point
Old 11-16-2012, 03:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
you obviously don't know what you're talking about. I didn't say a 1.94 is a small valve for a 305, it's a small valve, period. furthermore, it's the cylinder WALL that shrounds the valve because of the SMALL BORE, not the cylinder head...
Just as I suspected, you provide no factual data, you provide no factual research, you provide no factual work on your part whatsoever, you are all speculation backed by no pictures, backed by no video, backed by no bench testing, backed by nada, zip, zero, nothing, which, apparently, is all you seem to know with each and every post, and now you have just underlined it by dodging what was asked from you lol. Did you bother to even look at the pictures you jack@ss? Do you not see the outline of the head gasket in the second picture to compare where the bore is in conjunction with the chamber? Have you not figured out that that is why I posted that particular picture in the first place? Hmm, thought you would have figured that out, meh, maybe I gave you too much credit lol...

... performance engine building 101. you aren't reading well because you are angry as you know that i am correct.
Truly you are delusional, and you have just proven how worthless and pathetic your posts are because you have proven absolutely nothing to me, and to those reading along. Perhaps take another hit from that joint you are smoking because you are confusing yourself, as well as those who are reading along, with each and every word you are typing. Ehhh <buzzer sound> try again...

... you can build 305's all you like.
Clearly you are that full of yourself to think you can advise another member on what he or she can build when the reality is, who here honestly gives a crap what you have to say when you don't back up your words lol? "Engine 101" lmfao? Seriously? Let's see that degree in mechanics, oh wait, you mean engine 101 a la the internet, right lol? Such a pathetic excuse of knowledge you are, keep trying though, your very amusing after a hard days work.

... it's not that they can't make power, there's just no point in building one as you will always be behind when compared to a similar bigger bore SBC.
Truly you don't know the logic behind horsepower, and I shall prove it for everyone reading along right now. Here is a question(s) "101", and this will underline if you know what you are talking about or not, so make sure you read the question and get it right, otherwise you are not a Big Hammer, just a Big Dum Dum lol. What happens when you run too much overlap when running a turbocharger on a smaller engine, and does the byproduct, rather the effect, either help or hinder said engine when running smaller than average intake valves. Explain the outcome, and why. Note that this is a trick question, because if you explain the answer correctly, then you would have just proven every single word that you have written wrong. Enlighten me Mr. "101"...

probably the best performance upgrade you could do to a 305 is bore it out to 4"....
What's even more amusing is the fact that you think they can be taken out to four inches lmao. Big Dum Dum keeps showing his real knowledge with each and every post...

Edit...;

Perhaps take another hit from that joint you are smoking...
It just dawned on me that Big Hammer is in Manitoba Canada, perhaps he really was "choochin" when he wrote that nonsense, eh? Maybe tried explaining "engine 101" in a "choochified" manner while "chooching" his own pant antler, eh? It's just "choochin"...

Last edited by Street Lethal; 11-16-2012 at 04:56 AM. Reason: "choochin" lmao...
Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 385
Transmission: Full Manual TH350
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.70

Rob, why be a d!ck? Is it necessary to bring his location into all of this? That's just plain immature, and racist aswell.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by PhoenixFirebird
Rob, why be a d!ck? Is it necessary to bring his location into all of this? That's just plain immature, and racist aswell.
Don't know your name to address you formally, but why would you be the d!ck and not post this to me in a PM? Why try to make an example of my post in this thread when this has nothing at all to do with you? If you must know, you have an essentially new member, that, not only doesn't even own a third gen, but is professing to know about the lack of air flow within the confines of the 305 engine when he has yet to prove anything factually. I have absolutely no respect for members who do not respect this website, members who come on here solely to put down SBC's while proclaiming LS1's to be gawd's gift to 3rd gen enthusiasts, which, if you carefully inspect his posts, is what this person does within each and every thread...

You ask me why bring his "location" into it? What difference does it make, and how is that racist? Do I know his background? Do I know his nationality? How the hell does that make me a racist? Perhaps I brought up Canada because he is offered no real competition. Perhaps I brought it up as a means of understanding his obsession with being part of our website only to put the engines of just about every make and model down. As far as being immature, I am merely speaking his language, and as far as you calling me out like this, next time send me a PM, or don't respond to me like this at all...
Old 11-16-2012, 02:43 PM

Car: 1988 firebird formula 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77
lmao best troll ever

Posted from Thirdgen.org App for Android
Old 11-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 z28
Engine: Turbo 310
Axle/Gears: D44

305's cant even be fast with a turbo. impossible.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Supreme Member

It just dawned on me that Big Hammer is in Manitoba Canada, perhaps he really was "choochin" when he wrote that nonsense, eh? Maybe tried explaining "engine 101" in a "choochified" manner while "chooching" his own pant antler, eh? It's just "choochin"...
For everyone who is ridiculously reading along this little one on one I am having with BH, "choochin" is a word that is commonly used in Canada, it is NOT a bad word lmao, it is an urban word that expresses many different things, in many different situations. How somebody correlates the word "choochin" with racism is completely beyond me, but this is what happens when people don't do any research before opening their mouths, they just spout words for no apparent reason other than to make an incoherent point. I can ask somebody "are you choochin", and it can mean are you chilling, are you going, it can mean anything, it is just a word that can fit any conversation...
Old 11-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by sailtexas186548
305's cant even be fast with a turbo. impossible.
Talk is cheap, any vids of your whip at the track? Oh wait, your still capped at 5-psi, no?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 88FormulaF_Bomb
lmao best troll ever...
... I do my best when the situation calls to be a troll.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Supreme Member

Talk is cheap, any vids of your whip at the track? Oh wait, your still capped at 5-psi, no?
Well? If you drive as slow as you type, you are freaking doomed lmao...

Old 11-16-2012, 02:58 PM

Car: 1988 firebird formula 350
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 2.77
no i was talkin about my original post

Old 11-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

no i was talkin about my original post
I know, I was kidding, but these threads always seem to end up this way, and I really can't stand lowering myself to that level. It's like LS1tech all over again almost ten years ago, but now it's over here. Getting back to your original point, I think you should just go with whatever engine you want to, get some feedback from some of the proven racers who have run that particular engine, and really take it to your brother nice and strong. Bottom line is have fun with whichever route you go, and if you need a hand with anything I am just a PM away to offer any technical advice that I can for ya. Good luck...

[/done]
Old 11-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: BBC 509 Merlin ii 9.6:1 pump gas
Transmission: ATI pro th350 sfi case. TSI 5500 st
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 4:10s

what the helll is going on here?? Sometimes I think ppl are just so bored that all they like to do is argue on here and if you not saying what the other person wants to hear it will never end...lmao. and this isnt focused on one person at all, just as "us" all in general at times.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:26 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 385
Transmission: Full Manual TH350
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.70

Don't know your name to address you formally, but why would you be the d!ck and not post this to me in a PM? Why try to make an example of my post in this thread when this has nothing at all to do with you? If you must know, you have an essentially new member, that, not only doesn't even own a third gen, but is professing to know about the lack of air flow within the confines of the 305 engine when he has yet to prove anything factually. I have absolutely no respect for members who do not respect this website, members who come on here solely to put down SBC's while proclaiming LS1's to be gawd's gift to 3rd gen enthusiasts, which, if you carefully inspect his posts, is what this person does within each and every thread...

You ask me why bring his "location" into it? What difference does it make, and how is that racist? Do I know his background? Do I know his nationality? How the hell does that make me a racist? Perhaps I brought up Canada because he is offered no real competition. Perhaps I brought it up as a means of understanding his obsession with being part of our website only to put the engines of just about every make and model down. As far as being immature, I am merely speaking his language, and as far as you calling me out like this, next time send me a PM, or don't respond to me like this at all...
I posted this on this thread because that's what it's about, and after your rude remarks, it was a part of the discussion. It has something to do with me, because I'm a part of the TGO community. There was no reason for a PM. Perhaps you don't have respect for yourself then, since it appears you have no respect for this website or anyone on it. Perhaps you should re-think how you post. 9 out of 10 of your posts are disrespectful comments that just bring people down. Perhaps you can get your point across without being an a$$. Perhaps that's why this website is going downhill. Perhaps new members, such as myself, don't want to come on here and see your constant rude posts. Hell, I know older members disregard your posts aswell. Next time, I won't reply. I'll just report posts instead.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"

Originally Posted by PhoenixFirebird
Hell, I know older members disregard your posts aswell. Next time, I won't reply. I'll just report posts instead.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:02 PM

Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 Overdrive Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1 Positraction

Originally Posted by keeslinger31
What's your point
It's not 3rd gen beef in my world.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 z28
Engine: Turbo 310
Axle/Gears: D44

it was sarcasm, sorry to break it to ya cupcake but not everything is about you (as this comment wasn't, it was geared toward defending a 305, sarcastically talking smack about them...)

and thank you for making it personal, I have left you and your build 100% alone and intend to keep doing so, but you cannot seem to act like anything but a child, sigh...

and yes I have uploaded vids at the track not sure why that matters.. and no not capped at 5psi, never was capped just sorting out issues until i feel it is safe to turn up some more. But last I checked, 5psi was more than 0 PSI so Im pretty content for now.

Well? If you drive as slow as you type, you are freaking doomed lmao...

I logged off.. I have these things called class and responsibility I have to tend to...

Last edited by sailtexas186548; 11-16-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: trying to remain civil
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Just as I suspected, you provide no factual data, you provide no factual research, you provide no factual work on your part whatsoever, you are all speculation backed by no pictures, backed by no video, backed by no bench testing, backed by nada, zip, zero, nothing, which, apparently, is all you seem to know with each and every post, and now you have just underlined it by dodging what was asked from you lol. Did you bother to even look at the pictures you jack@ss? Do you not see the outline of the head gasket in the second picture to compare where the bore is in conjunction with the chamber? Have you not figured out that that is why I posted that particular picture in the first place? Hmm, thought you would have figured that out, meh, maybe I gave you too much credit lol...

Truly you are delusional, and you have just proven how worthless and pathetic your posts are because you have proven absolutely nothing to me, and to those reading along. Perhaps take another hit from that joint you are smoking because you are confusing yourself, as well as those who are reading along, with each and every word you are typing. Ehhh <buzzer sound> try again...

Clearly you are that full of yourself to think you can advise another member on what he or she can build when the reality is, who here honestly gives a crap what you have to say when you don't back up your words lol? "Engine 101" lmfao? Seriously? Let's see that degree in mechanics, oh wait, you mean engine 101 a la the internet, right lol? Such a pathetic excuse of knowledge you are, keep trying though, your very amusing after a hard days work.

Truly you don't know the logic behind horsepower, and I shall prove it for everyone reading along right now. Here is a question(s) "101", and this will underline if you know what you are talking about or not, so make sure you read the question and get it right, otherwise you are not a Big Hammer, just a Big Dum Dum lol. What happens when you run too much overlap when running a turbocharger on a smaller engine, and does the byproduct, rather the effect, either help or hinder said engine when running smaller than average intake valves. Explain the outcome, and why. Note that this is a trick question, because if you explain the answer correctly, then you would have just proven every single word that you have written wrong. Enlighten me Mr. "101"...

What's even more amusing is the fact that you think they can be taken out to four inches lmao. Big Dum Dum keeps showing his real knowledge with each and every post...

Edit...;

hmmmm,....seemed like a discussion until this post. a dick?

these are probably the kinda posts that keep newer members from joining up?

on a side note, that looks like some nice bowl work on the 305 heads.

edit,...says i gotta add 1 character??????

Last edited by redneckjoe; 11-16-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:32 PM

It's not 3rd gen beef in my world.
Lt1 isn't much better than tpi
Old 11-16-2012, 10:33 PM

Car: 1989 Trans Am WS6
Engine: SBC+TPI+BOOST
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton 373

This thread is retarted!!!!! Especially the first post. Any size or Gen SBC can be built to go "fast" and everybody has a bit of a different idea of what they consider fast also. So "F-bomb" if youre car is a P.O.S and u hate it. and only have it to beat a C4 Vette. The im sorry to say, but you really are NOT a thirdgen enthusiast. And I would bet $ that you wont be a Thirdgen owner in the near future. I also just responded to another post of youres in this section. Please just stop posting this ignorant BS, Its really just cluttering this section of the boards up. And adding to that bad stigma most of us Thirdgenners have been trying to drop over the years. Do youreself a huge favor. If you really wanna keep and build up and make youre car nice. Go to the tech sections and read, read, read, then search and search some more after reading alot more..
Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 386 Likes on 329 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

it's absolutely true. first off, a 1.94 is a small valve. 2nd, a 1.94 intake valve gets very close to the wall of the 305's SMALL BORE which shrouds the valve. this hinders airflow and performance. it's small bore size with it's 2 valve configuration hinders performance, end of story. especially in an N\A application.

it's a big part of the reason almost NOBODY builds a 305. it's not that they were a bad engine. they were great in caprices and stuff.
I built a 305, made 423 HP at the flywheel and I did it with a 2bbl TBI unit. Bolted a stalled 4L60E behind it and into a lightened car and ran into the 11s on street tires. I am working on a 305 bored .030" with a mild cam, vortec heads with 1.94/1.60" valves, PERFECT for a 305s bore and NOT SHROUDED IN ANY WAY with a pair of T3/T4 turbos at about 8-10 psi when I am done, backed to a powerglide in a 1980 Corvette. I will be suprised if it doesn't make 500+ to the wheels. I guess a 305 just sucks.

Last edited by Fast355; 11-16-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by keeslinger31
Lt1 isn't much better than tpi
You want to rephrase that ?

LT1 even stock is better than a stock L98, and you can Create far superior numbers & performance with an LT1 than an L98, its almost like 305 TPI vs 350 TPI, L98 is Great lots of torque but it chokes power because of the spider legs style intake runners so it can't breath above a certain rpm, LT1 was a vast improvement because of the elimination of it, why work on building the TPI when if done on an LT1 you get better results unless you specifically WANT the TPI, just like why build up a 305 when a 350 gets you farther ? It's personal choice. its no match for an LS1 however but some people just want an LT1 and not necessarily an LS1 at the present time.

L98 is Succeeded by LT1 which is succeeded by LS1 which is succeeded by LS2 then LS3 which is hugely succeeded by LS6 then LS7 and then LS9. its a dream of engine choices to pick and choose, don't rag because someone doesn't choose the most potent one.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Supreme Member

his info says he has an lt1...
Old 11-17-2012, 12:27 AM

Old 11-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Supreme Member

:shrug:
Old 11-17-2012, 12:52 AM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nSGwz5aGQtc

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=r...&v=vOyI5r-90KQ

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-UgXZptzI1o

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4kyw1Ba74OM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PddJyzVBoFI

LT1 even stock is better than a stock L98, and you can Create far superior numbers & performance with an LT1 than an L98, its almost like 305 TPI vs 350 TPI, L98 is Great lots of torque but it chokes power because of the spider legs style intake runners so it can't breath above a certain rpm, LT1 was a vast improvement because of the elimination of it, why work on building the TPI when if done on an LT1 you get better results unless you specifically WANT the TPI, just like why build up a 305 when a 350 gets you farther ? It's personal choice. its no match for an LS1 however but some people just want an LT1 and not necessarily an LS1 at the present time.

L98 is Succeeded by LT1 which is succeeded by LS1 which is succeeded by LS2 then LS3 which is hugely succeeded by LS6 then LS7 and then LS9. its a dream of engine choices to pick and choose, don't rag because someone doesn't choose the most potent one.
Ya dude no ragging I have an lt1. Put an intake manifold (hsr, lt1) on that l98 and there's not a whole lot of difference They are both 350's do some headwork and your ahead of the lt1.
I'm well aware of the full gm lineup of engines and I have owned 305's 350's tbi l98 lt1 vortec 5.7's and I also have an ls2 in my goat had an lq9 silverado ss and a lq4 2500.
I'm merely pointing out that an l98 can be modified to beat a stock lt1.
I mean come on it's 285hp I hope there are L98's in that territory.
Mod for mod of course the lt1 may win but on the same budget it might be close.

And if my mildly modified budget lt1 swap can beat stock mach 1's (320hp) lol I actually have a buddy with one he has cobra cams longtubes intake nitrous and I still hang with him
And a kb cobra is way out of the 320hp league Jeeze guy they are 390 stock that's 100 hp over the lt1 out of the box. And add full exhaust intake and a kenne bell with a pulley and it's 500 plus. No way I'm getting that n/a on a small cube motor and keeping any sort of drive-ability.

The only reason I mentioned kb cobra's anyway was to try and relate to the op in the fact that my brother has a faster car too and it's not all about who has the most power but also if you know how to drive and understand how to fix your car.

Look at my sig or something
Old 11-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z and 1988 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7 350 V8 and 5.0 305 V8
Transmission: 700R4 Automatic Transmission
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi

So when is this thread being locked down?
Old 11-18-2012, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by '87IROCZOWNER69
...exactly....
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 AM
86Z
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TPI Procharged D1SC
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt 3.73 posi

Originally Posted by '87IROCZOWNER69
it's funny that people ask this question, like it being locked is going to change anything, you want it locked?... why? just don't read it... obviously you are if you want it locked.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 90 IROC

Just want to say that when I bought my car new, it was one of the fastest cars on the road. Now it's 22 years later and it's depressing. I thought something was wrong with my car yesterday because an Acura TL gave me a run for my money at a stoplight. I came home and did some research and found out why, those things are pretty fast. They run low 14s, so I'm lucky to beat him I guess. I got smoked a couple of weeks ago by some funky looking stang, it was kickdown and obviously at his favorite speed from the looks of it. I couldn't begin to touch that, but he might have been bottle feeding it too based upon how his car suddenly started to accelerate hard well after he had punched it. Then it screamed away from me, it made me sad. I like my original car, but it's getting slow by today's standards. I'm about ready to start making real changes as long as they are reversable. Looks like an HSR, a cam and some heads would help.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA 5-spd TPI
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T-5 baby
Axle/Gears: 3.45

this is why I dont race my Bird... I just enjoy driving her. Like I said before I have driven some other faster cars and they dont have the seat of the pants feel mine does. I used to have a 91 Civic SI and that was much slower than my GTA but still felt really fun to get into.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

back when i was 19.(1982) a 12 sec car. WAS FAST, street car.
as the 80s came and went, so did the 12s. then in the 90s the 11s had some fun... now the 10.s are street driven fun cars.with power windows +.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nSGwz5aGQtc

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=r...&v=vOyI5r-90KQ

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-UgXZptzI1o

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4kyw1Ba74OM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PddJyzVBoFI

LT1 is a reverse cooled, optispark ignition, TPIS miniram cloned version of the L98 - it is that simple. It fixed a few L98 issues and added a few of it's own and has been considered a half *** attempt by GM to make the SBC into something more exotic. Speaking to the folks at TPIS (the ones who GM copied their LT1 intake off of), that the L98 is equal to the LT1 when you change the intake system - less midrange with more higher end hp. While I have seen some pretty knarly build big CI LT1s, there have been a lot of dogs done too by my friends - especially those mostly stock ones with paxton/vortech superchargers that either blew up or had to be insanely abused to get anything resembling good 1/4 mile numbers in them.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:55 PM

A. if you have any motor besides an l98, do not race anything! 305 cars are the reason people think hondas are fast.
B. if you have an l98, you can race hondas and minivans. but you are still very slow and you will get beat by v6 muskrats.
C. if you own a 305 car, do NOT go to the track and race. you will only be upset by a pocketfull of 16sec timeslips.
D. if you insist on racing you stockish thirdgen, pick your battles carefully, dnt ever think you are about to win. but if you tree hard and launch right a stock l98 will hang with alot newer cars to about 80.
E. have fun, be safe, go race.

Clearly you are misinformed, 305's can easily go 9 seconds. Haven't you read the Chronicles of a 9 Second 305
Old 01-05-2013, 12:17 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am WS6
Engine: LG4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 LSD

Someone is always going to be bigger, faster, or smarter than you. It's all about pushing yourself to be your best and having fun and making friends while doing it. If you can't do that then you need a new hobby. It's about doing what makes you happy, not turning it into a **** comparing contest and getting all butthurt about it.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...s/viewall.html
^ 305's can be fast for cheap.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=smokey+yunick%27s+power+secrets
^And for those that still subscribe to hillbilly engineering and don't fully understand how an engine works and a reference for everyone else.

Thirdgens aren't the end all be all to cars but they're a damn good platform to handle well, build a nice engine and driveline, and have a wicked street car that'll be more fun to drive than anything to boot.

And "fast" is subjective. I've been in and driven a couple fast cars, but hell my 20+ second 4 cylinder Toyota is fun to bang through the gears hard from a light. My thirdgen isn't scaring anything but it will bark the tires and it's like driving a go kart on the street.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:57 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Wow this is stupid...
We all know that 350s are better than 305s; but that doesnt mEan that 305s aren't worth modifying.

I bought my 305 tbi camaro for $800, when I got it it was insanely slow. But with $400 in used headers and exhaust, open element, and a 3.42 rear end my car ran a 15.1 in the quarter during one of the muggiest hottest days of august with a horrible 2.2 60'. A better day with a better launch I should hit a 14.9. Still not fast, but faster than a lot of other cars. Throw in a lt1 cam and you're running with lt1 4th gens.

Last edited by therobot; 01-08-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91' Firebird SOLD
Engine: 350 TPI +bolt-ons
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Originally Posted by therobot
Wow this is stupid...
We all know that 350s are better than 305s; but that doesnt mEan that 305s aren't worth modifying.

I bought my 305 tbi camaro for $800, when I got it it was insanely slow. But with $400 in used headers and exhaust, open element, and a 3.42 rear end my car ran a 15.1 in the quarter during one of the muggiest hottest days of august with a horrible 2.2 60'. A better day with a better launch I should hit a 14.9. Still not fast, but faster than a lot of other cars. Throw in a lt1 cam and you're running with lt1 4th gens.
Even with that cam , you are far from running with Lt1's. Even the 350 tpi won't run with Lt1's
Old 01-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro "SS"/ 1991 305/T5
Engine: 383 LT1 in progress/LT1TBI 355 soon
Transmission: Probuilt 700R4 3600 stall/ T5
Axle/Gears: Moser axles, 3.42 Eaton Posi

Originally Posted by ninetyone
Even with that cam , you are far from running with Lt1's. Even the 350 tpi won't run with Lt1's
I was outrunning Lt1's with some weight reduction and bolt-ons from a dig until the top of third gear by 2 or three cars. I had my car down to about a 14.3-14.1 range BEFORE I did the H/C/I and convertor swap. It's how you build the WHOLE car to make it run, not just the engine.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by robertfrank
I was outrunning Lt1's with some weight reduction and bolt-ons from a dig until the top of third gear by 2 or three cars. I had my car down to about a 14.3-14.1 range BEFORE I did the H/C/I and convertor swap. It's how you build the WHOLE car to make it run, not just the engine.
-
Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Supreme Member

For some reason your post isn't showing but I assure you that I would smash on LT1 cars till about the top of third gear, then they would slowly creep past me. After the H/C/I and convertor swap it wasn't even a race for me.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA 5-spd TPI
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T-5 baby
Axle/Gears: 3.45

supreme member vs supreme member.

<---sits back and eats popcorn and watches...
Old 01-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Supreme Member

My old 305 would smash bolt on ls1 cars...just gotta pay attention to the whole combo.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro, 2004 9c1 impala
Engine: TPI 350, previous owner hackjob
Transmission: built out 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4th gen, 373, LSD, GIRDLE

Just like the motorcycle forums. Rockets trashing harleys, harley guys trashing rockets. What we need to remember is this.... Its all about what gets you. If you want the fastest car, get a Mclaren or Bugatti. Some cant understand my harley, how can you ride that? Its slow, ugly, cant turn, cant stop. BULL.

It has a ton of torque, sounds great, looks great, and the girlfriend and I can ride around in comfort.
Same with a third gen, ton of hp stock? No, torque yes. different strokes for different folks. Will a new v6 mustang take it in a race? Probabally, would you rather have a v6 mustang? no. If you have a problem with being beat by a v6, mod ur v8. Or just settle down, put a tape in the deck and enjoy your car.
Just remember, have fun.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 PM

Car: 02 SS
Engine: 408 TT (1108rw-93/m1)6700rpm
Transmission: TH400(slipping)
Axle/Gears: 12bolt/3.42(whines😠)

What mods needed to keep up with new gt500.
I has a v6 3.1 m5. 88 iroc. That surprises.
I think its a factory freak.
I got called out by a mach1. Should it be a drivers race if i get a cai and gears?
I waana built it to curb stomp cobras. Im not worried about lsjuans.
Im hunting terminators.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by mw66nova
My old 305 would smash bolt on ls1 cars...just gotta pay attention to the whole combo.
Exactly, it's how the WHOLE car is built. not just the engine to get the car to perform.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by therobot
Throw in a lt1 cam and you're running with lt1 4th gens.
Nooo....do you even know the specs on an Lt1 cam?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by patin88z
Nooo....do you even know the specs on an Lt1 cam?
Lt1 cam is basically the same as the L98 350 tpi and 305 HO 5 speed cams. Just a little more lift. Can accomplish the same thing by adding 1.6 rockers.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:38 PM

Lt1 cam is basically the same as the L98 350 tpi and 305 HO 5 speed cams. Just a little more lift. Can accomplish the same thing by adding 1.6 rockers.
lol
That was a rhetorical question. I was asking the guy if he knew. I cant believe any would actual think that. LOL....none the less-
Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 386 Likes on 329 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Like I said not sure where you got your information.

I built a TBI 350, ported the stock swirl ports, dropped in a LT1 cam, and made 279 RWHP AND had so much more torque than a LT1. In my heavy old G-van it ran in the mid 15s. It would have dropped right in place of a 305 TBI and pushed even the heaviest open differential thirdgen well into the 13s.

Quick Reply: if you just bought your first thirdgen READ THIS