TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running out of ideas! Cold start issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running out of ideas! Cold start issue

Was told it has a new fuel pump. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, replaced the idle air control valve. Adjusted the throttle position sensor. New starter. Run nothing but 93 octane. What else can it be? Cranks and cranks for about a minute then fires up. Then it's fine all day except at a light in drive the idle starts jumping around. Thoughts?
Old 09-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Running out of ideas! Cold start issue

If you changed the IAC, it would be a good idea to follow this procedure to a T.
https://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/tpimod2.shtml

Also, what year,engine,TPI,TBI....what. What is your fuel pressure at idle? Cold Start Injector Switch and Coolant Temp Switch could play a role in this. Does it start when warm?

ATM, to many variables
Old 09-01-2016, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
If you changed the IAC, it would be a good idea to follow this procedure to a T.

Also, what year,engine,TPI,TBI....what. What is your fuel pressure at idle? Cold Start Injector Switch and Coolant Temp Switch could play a role in this. Does it start when warm?

ATM, to many variables
Thank you. I will have to try it. It's an 87 with the TPI 350. Cold start switch and coolant temp switch I have not changed yet. It starts right up once it's warm. Only have troubles after sitting over night. I have not checked fuel pressure yet.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA

ATM, to many variables
UPDATE: changed the coolant temp sensor today after the CEL came on for the sensor. Didn't change the the pig tail but it still seems to idle weird. Couldn't find anything about a cold start switch online and I'm sure it'll have the starting issue tomorrow morning.