Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Need Advice: '83 Camaro Pedal Assembly (mechanical) Experts

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Sport Coupe, T-Top
Engine: LG4 5-Liter V8, 305cid
Transmission: NWC-T5 Manual 5-speed
Axle/Gears: GU5 Axle Ratio 3.23 Rear
Need Advice: '83 Camaro Pedal Assembly (mechanical) Experts

Topic of discussion (example only, not mine)

Considering how hard it is to find a replacement pedal assembly for the one in my car now (see details on left) (original owner-33 years) and the hell I just went through thinking I had found one from a seller in this forum (read this if you have time: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/clas...oinmotion.html I'm wondering about the feasibility of reworking the one in the car now, so, need some advice on how to proceed.

The one in the car now works, BUT is creaky, squeaky, and hard to push the clutch pedal in and out (up and down?). So, leads me to a couple of questions:

1) what would cause this condition? BUSHINGS? and? or?

2) would it be possible to take it to a clutch shop (whom I have dealt with many times for clutch work), have them remove it and have new bushings installed?

2) would reworking the one in the car now work as well (or better) than having to continue to try and find one here online, with no guarantee (as in that link) that I could find one that would get me a properly working clutch pedal assembly?

3) when I visit "clutch guy" what should I be asking him to do?

Your advice?

Thanks!

Gene

Last edited by GeneL; 05-14-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,277 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Need Advice: '83 Camaro Pedal Assembly (mechanical) Experts

You can (or at least, could at one time) pick up bushings in the Help! aisle at parts stores. They just slip into the pedals. No need for "take" or "have".

Greasing the ends of the Z-bar REALLY helps. Put a grease fitting in it so you can just stick the grease gun on it and pump it full.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Sport Coupe, T-Top
Engine: LG4 5-Liter V8, 305cid
Transmission: NWC-T5 Manual 5-speed
Axle/Gears: GU5 Axle Ratio 3.23 Rear

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
You can (or at least, could at one time) pick up bushings in the Help! aisle at parts stores. They just slip into the pedals. No need for "take" or "have".
Thanks for your reply sofa.

You make it sound sooo easy.

Unfortunately I can't do this kind of work myself, so I rely on local "shops" that I've been going to for some time.

I will take your suggestions with me when I visit one next week.

Are these bushings "standard" that he should be able to pick up at our local, e.g. O'Reilly's?

And are you saying it wouldn't be necessary to remove the one in the car now?

Thanks!

Gene
Old 05-14-2016, 12:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,277 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

You make it sound sooo easy.
That's not because I "make it sound" easy; it's because it IS easy.

All you have to do is take out that bolt that goes through them. Can't recall if it'll come out with the assy still in the car, it might hit something. Just don't remember from 30-odd yrs ago. I got rid of that whole giant pile of crap from out of my 83 back in about 85 or so, THE VERY INSTANT a hydraulic setup became available in the junkyard. 2nd best mod I ever did to the car (before I got rid of the T-5 altogether and put in something sensible, namely a T-56, also THE VERY INSTANT I came across a junk one), right behind a Hurst shifter in terms of making the car more pleasant to drive.

These are for some other vehicle I think; you know, exactly the same except different. But you can get the general idea.
Attached Thumbnails Need Advice: '83 Camaro Pedal Assembly (mechanical) Experts-clutch-pedal-bushings.jpg  

Last edited by sofakingdom; 05-14-2016 at 12:49 PM.