Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

t56 to 700r4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 05:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
t56 to 700r4 swap

Ok guys so I have a question for you... and it's a long one.

My car is a 91RS with a modified 305TBI motor. Currently the car has a t56 transmission, it used to be a t5 but that exploded a couple years ago. Well now due to some back problems I can't push the clutch in the car and be comfortable driving it anymore. I only mentioned that to hopefully avoid all the guys that like to bash automatics. Loved the 6 speed while I was able to drive it but now I just wanna get back in the car and drive her.

So, I worked out a deal to get a stage 2 700r4 built for my car. Since I have a 91 and the speedo is electronic, plus I have the Dakota Digital converter box from the t56 swap I'm not concerned about that part.

I also have an aftermarket transmission cooler coming so that I don't have to worry about swapping the radiator right now and it'll probably do a better job cooling anyway.

I have a lockup kit from Monster Transmissions so I don't have to worry about swapping the harness or changing the tune on my EBL ECM for overdrive.

Going with a spohn tubular cross member, tubular torque arm, driveshaft loop, and torque arm relocation kit so mounting should be easy.

Going with a B&M pro ratchet shifter so no need to swap the center console trims and I will be making a plate to go over the hole that's there now and to help with mounting the new shifter.

Other than flex plate and torque converter what else do I need?

I have a new brake pedal on the way to replace the clutch/ brake pedal combo. With that I was thinking of either bypassing the neutral safety switch or putting it on a rocker switch so I didn't have to mess with relocating it to the B&M shifter.

TV cable, fill tube/dipstick, and all that are coming with the trans so I don't need to order any of that stuff. What do you guys think?
Old 11-29-2016, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '86 Camaro, '94 Camaro, 3 others
Engine: LG4 ->L29, L32->LR4, L36, LG4, L31
Transmission: 700R-4, T5WC, 4L80E, SM465, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23, WTB/WTT 2.93
Re: t56 to 700r4 swap

Seems you have it all figured out, just need a flexplate and a converter. I'd do a 2400-2600 stall.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4

That's what the guy at the shop recommended. He's got one I'll probably get from him when I pick up the trans. The only things that have me somewhat confused are what I'm gonna do about the reverse lights and the neutral safety switch. I can't remember if the wires for the reverse lights hook up to the auto shifter or if the 700r4 has a plug for it. Pretty sure it's on the shifter but I'll have to look and figure out how to wire that to the B&M. The neutral safety I can probably either bypass, wire to a switch, or wire to the shifter. Recommendations on that?
Old 11-30-2016, 08:30 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

The stock f-body shifter for the 700R4 has a switch assembly mounted to it. This switch provides for:

back up lights
P/N safety switch for starter
electric hatch pop button power
P/N input to the ECM

I believe that the wiring for it should already be in place. You may also find that the 700R4 TCC plug is also in the harness.

RBob.