Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Ford 9 inch & 8.8 and 12 bolt users please advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 04:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 6.8 HSR N2O
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser 3.50 True trac
Ford 9 inch & 8.8 and 12 bolt users please advise

I am at the point of ordering a rear for my 89 IROC and I want to hear from others about their experience with the different axles available. I am running a mostly street driven car with ~420WHP and a stick shift. So far the 9 bolt BW is holding up fine but I wanted to up grade so here we are. I want a quiet running ~3.50 gear an most likely a True-trac worm/helix type posi. I know the 9 inch is strong but some say it's heavy and inefficient. I like the 12 bolt and both Moser and Strange make a f-body version. Hawks is building 8.8's and that's a good option too. All are about the same $$ but since I already have a good 9 inch casting I can build a Moser 9 inch housing and axle package for a little under $2k so it seem the best option for me. Regardless, I am going to have to live with my final decision and would like to hear from actual 9 inch, 12 bolt and hopefully 8.8 users out there.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Ford 9 inch & 8.8 and 12 bolt users please advise

There is probably not enough difference in any of them for a car like yours. All of them are plenty strong for your application. It's just going to depend on what you like best and price. If you have the parts to build a good 9 inch for less money than the others then go for it. Don't worry about weight and power loss in a street car. If you like Chevy parts and would like to keep your car all Chevy then use a 12 bolt. I prefer the Moser over Strange just because I don't like the housing ends that Strange uses. If the 8.8 is a lot cheaper than the others and money is a concern then use it. I've got a 9 inch in my car but someday I'd like to put a Dana 60 in it just for the looks.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:57 PM
Supreme Member

Thank for the comments, big gear.

Funny, the 8.8 from Hawks isn't really much less expensive. A little but not much. Even when building it from scratch it doesn't come out much less. I don't really care for the "weld 10 bolt tubes to an 8.8 housing" method and I'm a bit dubious of welding to the cast iron. I know it can be done properly but...

What about the strange housing ends don't you like. Are they "Torino" ends rather than GM 10/12 ends?

With a Moser 9 housing and axle package, and my 3rd casting and a Detroit True-trac, Richmond gears and a kit it comes in about $1900. Not too bad.

I just don't want a locker or gear whine or a lot of clunking from heim joints or anything. I like the Moser torque arm mount the best so far.

If I could get into an equivalent 12 bolt for the same money I would "like" that the best.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 iroc
Engine: alum. head 350 supercharged
Transmission: 6speed
Axle/Gears: ford 9in 3.90 35 spline moser axles

i have a moser 9: with detroit locker it doesnt clunk alot even around corners most times but when it does people say my rear end is junk lolor i broke something but when i'm at the track no problems at all and 9" is easier to do gears on and easier from 3 member removal
Old 01-04-2017, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member

The Strange housing ends are thinner than Moser ends and do not have a space for the inner axle seal. If you use the tapered roller bearings it's not a problem, but if you use the sealed ball bearings you can't use the inner axle seal. You have to rely on that O ring on the outside of the bearing and the seals in the bearing, which don't always work well.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:48 PM
Supreme Member

Tapered bearings vs ball. I see what you are saying about the inner seal.
I have always preferred tapered bearings and was surprised to see them using the ball bearings. The 9" I have uses the ball bearings but I can get the rear built either way. My factory 9 bolt has the tapered bearings and no c clips. If it were just a little beefier I would just stick with it.
Which bearings do you use and do you use the inner seal. Seems like it would be a good idea either way.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:35 PM
Supreme Member

I usually use the ball bearings because I just drive on the street and drag race. They are easier to work with and if the seal goes bad you don't have to replace the bearing to replace the seal. If you are going to do some hard cornering then the tapered roller bearings are better. You can not use the inner seal with the tapered roller bearings because they require oil from the rear end, and the inner seals would block that oil from the bearings. If you want to use the tapered bearings then the Strange rear end would be fine.