Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Molasses Rust Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Molasses Rust Removal

Anyone got anything to add to this jumble of info below. It sounds valid but no one is finding it in the store.

---------------------

nailhead_sled

Molasses Rust Removal

Has anybody ever used molasses/water solution to remove rust from blocks etc? I have heard great things
about it, and the price can't be beat. I am planning to try this out but I have been told that regular molasses
wont work, it requires 'horse feed' or 'sulphated' molasses. Any thoughts?
Also where does a city boy find horse feed molasses?

Phil

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged
05-02-2003 08:47 PM
--------------------------
Truzi
Broke College Student

Alan (BuickAl) has what you want.

Check out this thread:Alan's Rust Remover
and this earlier one: Rust Removers

05-02-2003 09:04 PM
----------------------------
BlownNailhead
no refunds on bad answers

nuts)

A city boy would find sulphated molasses at a feed store. You may have to run outside town a bit, but I am
sure one is reasonably close to you.

Here is a little hint, if you can heat the mixture a bit it helps get the reactions going, just like any chemical
reaction.

37 Chevy truck daily driver
68 GTO all original

05-02-2003 09:25 PM
---------------------------------------
nailhead_sled

Thanks Blown,
One more question if I may. What is the best mixture ratio? I have been thinking somewhere in the range of 5
parts water to 1 part molasses, but have been told that it will also work at a 10:1 ratio, any thoughts?

Phil

05-03-2003 12:18 AM
----------------------------------------------
Buick_350X

Bump...

I would like to know what ratio too. I did buy a $90 bucket of AL's stuff but after about 75% of the "water"
evaporated it was useless and kind of a waste. He did say you can add water as needed so I didn't worry
about the evaporation but adding water didn't work for me and another $90 is not in the budget. [Never got my
first $90 worth out of it.]

Matt

09-08-2003 01:46 AM
-----------------------------------------------
Buick_350X

From another post about molasses

"And I found this on this website.

http://www.lametalsmiths.org/news/page9.htm

Question
I have a friend who uses molasses to clean rust off old iron items collected from the bush. The rusty iron
article is placed in a jar of molasses solution (nine parts water, one part molasses) and left for two weeks. After
this time, the article comes out clean and almost shiny. What is happening here?

Answer
Molasses contains chelating agents. These are made of molecules that are shaped a bit like the claws of a
crab--the word chelating comes directly from the Latin word chele, meaning claw. They can envelop metal
atoms on the surface of an object, trapping them and removing them. Molasses owes its properties to cyclic
hydroxamic acids which are powerful chelators of iron.

More of these compounds are found if the molasses is derived from sugar beet rather than cane sugar. The
plants from which molasses is made presumably use these chelating agents to help them extract minerals from
the soil. Interestingly, there are aerobic microorganisms that use similar cyclic hydroxamic acids to scavenge
iron. So plants and microbes appear to use the same chelation strategy to obtain their daily ration of iron.

The same process is at work when you clean old coins with Vegemite or cola. The power of chelating agents
also explains why the insides of tomato tins need to be lacquered. The citric acid in the tomatoes would
dissolve the metal of the container if the lacquer were not present. Household cleaning agents, especially
detergents and shampoos, also rely on chelation. These soften water to make it more effective during the
cleaning process.

Chelation has its uses in medicine, too. EDTA or ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid is used as a chelating agent
to control levels of calcium in the body and can reduce the effects of mercury or lead poisoning.

Ben Selinger, Department of Chemistry, Australian National University. Ben Selinger is the author of
Chemistry in the Marketplace and Why the Watermelon will not Ripen in your Armpit (Allen & Unwin)

Looks interesting!
"

09-08-2003 01:49 AM

----------------------------------------
pglade

ok folks-----we need some follow through on this thread. Has anyone actually called around to a feed supply
place to locate this stuff??? I called one here and all they had was a powdered form and they didn't know #$*#
about sulphated, etc.

Can someone do some checking in their area and see:

1) what form this stuff comes in-liquid/powder/etc

2)Get a product name

I'll try that other website and some more web searching. We need to find out where to get this stuff ----if
someone will get me some info I'll get the stuff and TRY IT OUT AND POST RESULTS ON THIS BOARD.
These ideas are great!!!! We just need to follow through and publish results. I will do that with some help.
THnx very much. Patton Glade

09-12-2003 09:16 PM
----------------------------------------
Old 09-18-2003, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member

I was the one who bought the $90 bucket of evapro-rust and it is some awesome stuff but you know what happened to it. And I did notice a molasses type substance on parts once dried if it had some pooled on it.

Matt

It was worththe $90 if I could of gotten my full moneys worth. Stuff is like someone takes a tiny bead blaster to just the rust. Makes chrome look just awesome with out scrubbing it.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:33 PM
Supreme Member

A fender I used that stuff on.
Attached Thumbnails Molasses Rust Removal-p1010140.jpg  
Old 09-21-2003, 03:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Here in Australia a guy at the Chevy Car Club gave a demo on the benefits of molassis. He works with resins and glues thru his work. The results were fantastic. Just like someone showed in the pictures. I dont remember the ratio, but I will get in touch with him to find out. The mixture after a couple of weeks was pretty strong he said but then the price of the result and ease of use is well benefited.The molassis came from a feed and seed sort of place and he said the price here was around $25 for 20litres. Will get more info and post. I did view the results and like I said was fantastic.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:15 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by yankeecarman
Here in Australia a guy at the Chevy Car Club gave a demo on the benefits of molassis. He works with resins and glues thru his work. The results were fantastic. Just like someone showed in the pictures. I dont remember the ratio, but I will get in touch with him to find out. The mixture after a couple of weeks was pretty strong he said but then the price of the result and ease of use is well benefited.The molassis came from a feed and seed sort of place and he said the price here was around $25 for 20litres. Will get more info and post. I did view the results and like I said was fantastic.
Sweet dude. How about posting atleast your first name?
Makes ting a tad more friendly around here.

And yea I assume I paid about $50 too much for a plastic 5 gallon bucket and some feed store molass watered down.

Matt

another shot. All I did get done was testing on the stuff myself. I had lots of fun tossing nasty parts into the mix just to see how well it worked. Even cleaned up an old stock carb real well, even though it doesn't work on aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails Molasses Rust Removal-p5210054.jpg  
Old 09-22-2003, 12:16 AM
Supreme Member

Yankeecarman=Ron. Glad to know you. Will get the info and report back.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2000 astro
Engine: 4.3
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 7.5 with 3.42 gears
whoa.... that's pretty cool!

didn't know you could use molasses for that...
Old 09-28-2003, 03:08 PM
Supreme Member

Went on a club run yesterday and got the info from the demonstrator of the molassis deal. He said to mix it about 1 part molasssis and 4 parts water and leave about two to three weeks. If you want quicker action increase the mixture and it will take less time. Does a fantastic job and gets in those hard to reach spots. Saw it myself and it works wonders. There you go. And it is still very cheap.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:21 AM
Supreme Member

Back from the dead but I wonder if any more recent members can share light on this subject.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Vinegar will do the same thing, as will just about any acid.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: Carbed L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73
interesting thread.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: Built TH-700 R4 (Vilgilante 2800)
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ PBR's
Went on a club run yesterday and got the info from the demonstrator of the molassis deal. He said to mix it about 1 part molasssis and 4 parts water and leave about two to three weeks. If you want quicker action increase the mixture and it will take less time. Does a fantastic job and gets in those hard to reach spots. Saw it myself and it works wonders. There you go. And it is still very cheap.
DO you need to cover it or do you just leave it out in the open?

Kevin
Old 03-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Supreme Member

Leave it out in the open. If you want it stronger, add a little more in a few days. But, remember after a number of days it will start to smell. The effects are very good and to cover a large surface is very cheap.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:39 PM

Car: 94 Z-28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Leave it out in the open. If you want it stronger, add a little more in a few days. But, remember after a number of days it will start to smell. The effects are very good and to cover a large surface is very cheap.
Ok, I have a question about this topic....I am wanting to do the underside of my car before I put the new drivetrain in it. Do you know what ratio I should mix this to get it done in about a week? Do you have to wash it off when you are done or what? This is a very interesting topic. How bad is this smell too...i dont want this car to stink. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:41 AM
Supreme Member

You need to soak the part in the stuff for 24hrs+

Its not gonna work just by spraying it on.

Only problem is once the part is done. You gotta get something on it fast. Sure you can wash it off but the bare metal will rust in sec once wet with water.

Bear concrete etch and rust remover [ home depot garden section ] is also good at taking down rust. It can be sprayed on. diluted with water 50/50 its still powerful. Very alkaline, wear gloves, Don't get it on you. It can also be used to prep metal before coating.

Works great at keeping bare metal parts from rusting over long periods of time. I spray it on fresh welds and it keeps them clean.
[Avoid vapors.]

But it works great. I cleaned up a very rusty Harley rim with it.
Sprayed it down every once in a while every few days.

Last edited by Gumby; 03-24-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by Gumby
Bear concrete etch and rust remover [ home depot garden section ] is also good at taking down rust. It can be sprayed on. diluted with water 50/50 its still powerful. Very alkaline, wear gloves, Don't get it on you. It can also be used to prep metal before coating.
Acidic, not alkaline. Its muriatic acid.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:30 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Apeiron
Acidic, not alkaline. Its muriatic acid.
Well it taste alkaline.

Very much so. The strongest alkaline Ive accidentally tasted. Compared to alkaline growth on batteries its x1000
Old 03-24-2005, 02:05 PM

I won't even ask why you go around tasting these things.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 MSE #52
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH700
Originally posted by Apeiron
I won't even ask why you go around tasting these things.
Sounds alot like using COKE A COLA to clean engine blocks like some of the old time racers around hear used to do ! Bet it tastes better too.. lol
Old 03-31-2005, 04:40 PM

Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: 350+
Transmission: Wishin Manual
Hmmmm, so this is just molasses you pick up at the store? And what do ya do wiht big parts you cant soak it in?
Old 04-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Supreme Member

Just 'Bumpin'
Old 04-20-2005, 02:05 AM
Supreme Member

Its industrial type molassis and you should be able to buy it at a place where they sell feed for horses, etc. It does a great job but you have to be prepared to soak the parts and wash them after a few days.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:05 PM

Car: DAF
Engine: 3 cyl 2 cycle
Transmission: variable speed
Re: Molasses Rust Removal

I have used a product called Evapo-Rust that I bought a year or two ago to remove rust on small tools. It worked great. It was about $5 for a quart size plastic bottle.

So last month I needed to de-rust a 4 cylinder case...actually two of them. I have had cases acid etched before and it runs about $50 for a 4 cyl and $90 or $100 for a V-8 depending on the size. The problem with taking it to an acid dipper is that the residual from the dip stays in the iron pores. Even tho you soak it in baking soda for a day it is still not enough. It needs neutralizing for a week. I decided to try Evapo-Rust and I found it , of all places at Harbor Fright and they have it for $19.95 for a gallon which happens to be the cheapest price for a gallon. So five gallons later I dipped two 4 cyl cases, a few misc small pieces, 2 flywheels, and a cylinder head....(so I got my moneys worth) and then last week I did a crankshaft....BUT....E.R. runs out of steam as it only disolves(holds) so much rust and turns a dark black then quits.

I have noticed in using E.R. that there was a smell/odor even with the lid on the plastic tub. Not an objectionable odor..almost nice??? And I started looking around the internet as E.R. is not that expensive but hey....maybe I can cut costs? Molasses seems, by many posts/sites to be the answer.

So this afternoon I called Smart & Final (a chain of stores that cater to restaurants and roach coaches)...yes they had it in gallons...for $18. Well, diluted 4:1 its $3.50 ...but wait...there's more. The local feed store sells a 5 gallon pail for $20. WOW...now were talkin. I'll by a pail on the way home.....and fill the tub (no not the bathtub you fool) and........

I'll post in a few days some results after I do some dipping using molasses.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Best way to remove rust.

Another technique for removing rust is etching with Phosphoric Acid. Phosphoric Acid has a unique property of dissolving iron oxide quickly while etching iron very slowly. This means that you can leave metal in Phosphoric Acid for much longer than necessary with very little damage. The acid will attack bare metal slowly and will start the process of hydrogen embrittlement, so use the minimum etch time that removes all rust.
Another unique advantage of Phosphoric Acid is that it leaves a fine coating of iron phosphate behind. Iron phosphate prevents rust. However, the iron phosphate coating is not very thick and not durable. Some additional protection is still required.

Phosphoric Acid etch will leave a hard, bright metal finish. This is because it will etch the surface slightly, exposing new, bare metal. Often this is desirable. It leaves an attractive surface and a surface ready to paint. A common product which contains Phosphoric Acid is Naval Jelly. The soft drink Coca-Cola contains Phosphoric Acid, so Coke will etch rust. But Coke also contains carbonic acid and other nasty things.
Auto body shops treat metal with acid metal wash, a solution of Phosphoric Acid and alcohol before painting. This removes waxes and oils, removes slight amounts of rust that form between sand blasting and painting, and leaves a thin protective coat of iron phosphate. One commercial solution for this is DuPont Quick-Prep. Sherwin Williams has a similar product called Metal Prep.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?

another cheap trick for small parts is cheap white vinegar . has been used by antique restoration people for years . soak in plastic sealed container , let soak 24hrs. , inspect , resoak as required . vinegar is a mild acid , treat it as such when cleaning & prep. for paint . picked this info. up while restoring old harleys . i did say small parts . good luck .
Old 10-08-2009, 04:35 PM

[QUOTE=mmadden55;4299451]Best way to remove rust.

""" you can leave metal in Phosphoric Acid for much longer than necessary with very little damage. The acid will attack bare metal slowly and will start the process of hydrogen embrittlement, so use the minimum etch time that removes all rust. """""""

Well in my post last week I mentioned acid dipping and the associated problems and that it must be neutralized AND possibly I did not mention that using acid that you WILL have disposal issues. You cannot (well you can if you want) use acids on rotatng engine parts.

The molasses issue, if it does work adaquately, will allow for
easy disposal down the drain
no possible damage as in an acid spill
no damage to the user
no damage to engine parts
inexpensive and readily availiable

so to continue the experiment...........

two crankshafts , one of which had flaky rust on the counterweights, and was fairly rusty were put in the tub and 3:1 water to molasses. After two days I took the worst one out and rinsed and wire brushed it to get a new "bite". Back in for two more days and there was definite progress. Today will be the third look (this evening) and three days after the last look. Total of 7 days in the soup so far. The molasses mix is not as fast as the Evapo-Rust solution that I previously used on the two cases......but then the molasses is one tenth of the cost. I have read that very rusty items might take some time......we'll see in the next installment.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Supreme Member

Here is another wayto remove rust, I like it better, quicker, really easy too.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/hist...t=rust+removal
Old 10-23-2009, 02:06 PM

Re: Molasses Rust Removal..third and last installment of this experiment

This is the third and last of the three installments.

I always like to use the KISS (keep it simple stoopid) method and this method IS very simple. NO black boxes, no battery chargers, no disposal problems....anddddd very little $$

After experimenting with ratio of molasses and water I find 1 part to 3 or 4 parts water works best.....molasses works very well. Yes the downside is time..The only downside. The rusty cranks took 8-9 days in the soup. A rusty flywheel took 8 days.

If a part is really rusty and greasy, rinsing off with water halfway thru the cycle and removing any grease oil crud then putting the part back in the tub for the balance of the cycle you will have a rust free part.

$17.50 a five gallon pail which makes 15 to 20 gallons of solution.....very happy with the almost free results.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:25 PM

Car: 83 Z28, 87 442 (Sold)
Engine: 5.0, 5.7,
Transmission: 4 Speed autos

I have to add my $0.02 to this thread, sorry from bringing it back from the dead.
As I start to restore my dash, the speaker and center console brackets have always had a level of rust.

I have heard urban myths about molasses and I couldn't resist a try.

At my local bulk food mart I bought a quart of Black Strap Molasses for about $3. I mixed that 10:1 in a large flat covered tray.

In go the brackets (with all hardware) they go in with 30 years of rust and crud.
A week later they came out like new... not even pitted... AMAZING process.

If you can submerge the part (brackets and hardware) this is a way better process than any form of blasting or acid.

It really works.