Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Pro comp Aluminum heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90RS Conv.
Engine: 383 w/ small shot
Transmission: th400
Axle/Gears: moser 9in
Re: Pro comp Aluminum heads

I just blew a head gasket. Im gonna get the shop to flow bench it after they check it. Ill post the numbers..
Old 07-15-2008, 03:08 PM

Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 355
Transmission: TH-350

Originally Posted by loneroad
I just blew a head gasket. Im gonna get the shop to flow bench it after they check it. Ill post the numbers..

Sorry to hear that.....That is pretty rare what gasket were you running?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Supreme Member

fel pro 1044? its been awhile, id have to go back thru papers and look.

I was merging onto the hiway in a construction zone. Thermostat hung up. I had nowhere to pull off. opened the headers and turned on the heater, trying to get some heat out. By the time i got to a spot to pull off, the thermo opened and the motor started to cool off. thought i had dodged one, i was wrong.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:48 PM

Car: T/A / Grand Am
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: glide
Axle/Gears: 9" ford 5.67

My 406 in a 2640lb car went 6.42@ 105 on the second pass off of the trailer last Sat. night. The heads are not garbage by any means. I did do some port work to mine, but I also had to do some work on my Iron Eagles before I was satisfied with them. Most race parts are not direct bolt on. The end castings needed cleaned up a little bit to get a socket on the nuts, but that's a minor problem. I'm sure there is a very low 6 second run with these heads, after some tunning. How much faster would it have been with AFRs? We'll never know unless some one else donates a set. The ones I have are the 210cc non cnc ported. The only problem I was conserned with was the size of the exhaust ports. They really need a 1 7/8 header instead of the 1 3/4.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by cp87GTA
My 406 in a 2640lb car went 6.42@ 105 on the second pass off of the trailer last Sat. night. The heads are not garbage by any means. I did do some port work to mine, but I also had to do some work on my Iron Eagles before I was satisfied with them. Most race parts are not direct bolt on. The end castings needed cleaned up a little bit to get a socket on the nuts, but that's a minor problem. I'm sure there is a very low 6 second run with these heads, after some tunning. How much faster would it have been with AFRs? We'll never know unless some one else donates a set. The ones I have are the 210cc non cnc ported. The only problem I was conserned with was the size of the exhaust ports. They really need a 1 7/8 header instead of the 1 3/4.
I actually think that these heads flow better then my iron eagles for the fact that in the heat untuned and laying down up top and I still went a 12.1.....I went a best with the iron eagles in the cool november air which was an 11.9 but I still had some room for improvement but we will see....Nevertheless, this is a real budget motor and I am happy as hell so far with these heads..
Old 07-23-2008, 07:50 PM

I ordered a set of these yesterday for an engine being put together for my '71 Vette. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-C...3911.m14.l1308 The write-up sounded pretty good and price was excellent. Yesterday they were $595, today they are $629! I reckon we'll see just how good they are....... I really wanted the Patriot heads, but the angle plug was all they had in them and they wouldn't work with the Flo-Tech headers
Old 07-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Supreme Member

I have floow tech headers on my angle plug heads. It def is tight. I have to run accel header plugs. Im thinking these headers are one of the things holding my motor back. Im opting for a set a dyno dons headers soon.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:25 PM

Car: 92 formula, sd,730ecm with $59
Engine: 383/ t-76 turbonetics
Transmission: 700r4 3200 vig converter
Axle/Gears: 3.42

A friend had a set of the 210cc ones on his 68 vette with a 396 and a shelf comp 292 retro roller and it went 110. swaped for a set of afr eliminators and with no other changes went 118. Car had gone 110 with the old ported fuelies and 383 inches same cam. I wouldnt waste money on them especially after seeing 8 mph at least ( still need to play with carb and timing) loss over afr heads that cost 1400 and that gets you quality parts and a thick deck that resists blown head gaskets. I had a 80s 280 z car with a bone stock lt1 vette setup in it and it weighed 2750 with driver and would do 7 flat @ 101 so 106 on a bulit motor around the same weight isnt too impressive. When the car got a 383 lt1 set up with lt4 ported heads and a larger solid roller it went 117 in the eighth. Get it on a dyno to tell the real truth on them. I have seen them on a bench stock and they are like a vortec head for the numbers but some how cant put out the same power most of the time. Bang for the buck fast burns are the best head. Out flows most expensive heads and 200 more than most knock offs. I can knock the pro comps and pats because I have seen them up against afrs and fuelies on the same car. This is just the last time I have seen this done. Have a huge write up on them on a l98 car too. When you can spend a few hundered more and get a lot better stuff I dont see the point.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:59 AM

I bought a 94 s10 with a 427 sbc motor in it that had these heads... At first i had a lot of valve train problems... Things like a busted rocker arm loud valve noise misaligned roller rocker tips and wear marks on the sides of the pushrods...and after swapping everything out i was ready to blame it on the heads... I knew it had to be the heads because i replaced everything else in the motor... I had the heads on and off the truck 7 times and had them to the machine shop on the last removal...

The results from the machineshop were as near to perfect as they could be... everything measured within tolorances and and less that 2cc difference between all runners ports and combustion chaimbers...

So it turns out the heads i was just about to send out for scrap were very good castings out of the box...

Now remember i did not build this motor the first time... But i did rebuild it the last time... and each time i put it togther i used the same intake manifold bolts... which were 1 1/2 inches long... i did not even look at them to be honest with you... and that is where all of my problems came from... on the last install i found the incorrect intake bolts and replaced them... no more problems out of the heads...

It dyno tested at 560 whp @ 6400 rpm thats as high as we spun it... and 670 ftlb torque @ 4525 rpm...and over 500 ftlbs of torque from 2900 rpms all the way up... This was with a crower 547 lift roller cam and an edelbrock thunder avs 800 series carb... It ran a best of 12.59 @115 mph (in florida)... Then i swapped out the cam and the carb and it ran a best of 11.87 @117 (at bristol)...

Saying these heads are junk is not quite true IMO... They are low buck options for people who want more power better parts but dont have 1500 or more to dump on a set of heads...

We all know there are better heads out there... There is always something better... it is just that some people cant afford the best...

Procomp at least from what i have delt with them has been a very easy company to deal with... they were willing to take the heads back and send me another set and they were going to pay for the shipping bill there and back... even tho i was not the original owner... it did not come to that but i know they did replace a whole set of their stainless steel roller rockers when only one was busted...
Old 08-10-2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by wikd
I bought a 94 s10 with a 427 sbc motor in it that had these heads... At first i had a lot of valve train problems... Things like a busted rocker arm loud valve noise misaligned roller rocker tips and wear marks on the sides of the pushrods...and after swapping everything out i was ready to blame it on the heads... I knew it had to be the heads because i replaced everything else in the motor... I had the heads on and off the truck 7 times and had them to the machine shop on the last removal...

The results from the machineshop were as near to perfect as they could be... everything measured within tolorances and and less that 2cc difference between all runners ports and combustion chaimbers...

So it turns out the heads i was just about to send out for scrap were very good castings out of the box...

Now remember i did not build this motor the first time... But i did rebuild it the last time... and each time i put it togther i used the same intake manifold bolts... which were 1 1/2 inches long... i did not even look at them to be honest with you... and that is where all of my problems came from... on the last install i found the incorrect intake bolts and replaced them... no more problems out of the heads...

It dyno tested at 560 whp @ 6400 rpm thats as high as we spun it... and 670 ftlb torque @ 4525 rpm...and over 500 ftlbs of torque from 2900 rpms all the way up... This was with a crower 547 lift roller cam and an edelbrock thunder avs 800 series carb... It ran a best of 12.59 @115 mph (in florida)... Then i swapped out the cam and the carb and it ran a best of 11.87 @117 (at bristol)...

Saying these heads are junk is not quite true IMO... They are low buck options for people who want more power better parts but dont have 1500 or more to dump on a set of heads...

We all know there are better heads out there... There is always something better... it is just that some people cant afford the best...

Procomp at least from what i have delt with them has been a very easy company to deal with... they were willing to take the heads back and send me another set and they were going to pay for the shipping bill there and back... even tho i was not the original owner... it did not come to that but i know they did replace a whole set of their stainless steel roller rockers when only one was busted...
I agree I do not think that they are "junk" IMO they are great for the money as I did not have any issues either....My 1st outing with them shocked the **** outta me because I expected the worst with all the bad press that they have been receiving....But anyway my little basic 355 will be in the 11's the next time I go to the track which will hopefully be this coming friday and I will post my times in this thread...
Old 08-13-2008, 12:30 PM

im new to this site and ran acrossed this art i bought a set of pro comp heads for my bbc after i got them i mached ported them to a dom intake 2x4
i run a z34 540 ci with 2x4 setup with 2 1050 c&s airasol dominators and 2 stage nitrous fogger and plate i ran a 7.94 at a 162 mph never had a problem whith them i did drill and tap holes in the back of the heads to get extra water flow ....
Old 08-22-2008, 11:36 AM

Car: 92 formula, sd,730ecm with $59
Engine: 383/ t-76 turbonetics
Transmission: 700r4 3200 vig converter
Axle/Gears: 3.42

this doesnt add up. I have a 92 formula that dynoed just at 400 rwhp and ran 118 to 119 mph and your truck should be quite a bit lighter. My 94 z28 made 450 rwhp and went 125 mph then fixed a tuning problem and got up to 510 rwhp and ran 130 mph and that car is a heavy pig. I dont see that set of heads making that kind of power and leading people to buy someting off inflated numbers isnt very cool. I am not saying that the truck cant run 115 to 118 as it should be less than 3000 lbs and have seen guys hear with budget setups in 90 model s-10 trucks with stock engines like lt1 or better yet my friends with a bone stock zz4 crate motor that makes around 280 rwhp that ran 12.4 at 112 to 114 depending on the weather. Added fast burns to the truck with a shelf comp roller cam and ran in the 11s at 119. I personally compared these heads to others on the same combos and saw they compare to a shelf vortec head as far as power goes and no more and most of the time worse results from patriots and pro comps over a set of vortecs. For the money if you cant drop 1400 for afr heads go with fast burns which are proven many times over to make over 400 hp with mild cams and you can get them for 1000 to 1100 bucks most places and they are with high quality parts. Most pro comps are built with chineese valves and springs that will fail quick. If you must get a set of junkers then get bare and build your self with good parts. take note this is not my opinion but what I have seen on friends cars that have run these heads vrs others on the same short blocks. Never once was anyone happy with the set of heads for the money spent vrs the gains they got on either a l98 car that saw 22 hp over the stock head then 60+ hp with afr 195 heads or the 68 vette that ran the same quater mile times with fuelies and the procomps then picked up 5+ mph with afr heads. Starting from scratch on a build they might seem fine but when you pull off a set of head then pay to get more power and see not much over a stock head then it gets burried by another set of after market heads it tells me they are not that good.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:47 AM

The numbers on my truck were in no way inflated... the truck was built as a driver... 2500 stall and 3.50 gears... 700r4 transmission... I got over 24 mpg on the highway at speeds 15 mph or so over the limit... it was never built for the track...

here are the time slips i have for the truck... I wish i had the dyno sheet on the truck but that went to the guy who bought it from me...
Name:  ScannedImage-3.jpg
Views: 4736
Size:  57.5 KB
Name:  ScannedImage-2.jpg
Views: 4949
Size:  113.5 KB
Name:  ScannedImage.jpg
Views: 4704
Size:  161.8 KB
Old 08-22-2008, 11:18 PM

Well, I just got back from the track and these chinese POS' did alright in my book....11.8@114 for a few hundred dollars isn't bad I think anyway....
Old 08-23-2008, 02:24 AM

Car: 85 Camaro
Engine: forged 383 11:1
Transmission: T56 TDP STAGE 2
Axle/Gears: 99 ws6 3.42 posi rear

Honestly iv read ALOT about those procomps and iv heard good and bad. The point is valid that for a few extra dollars you can get "better" heads and all but 1quickz just broke 11's with those heads and isnt having any problems so to me that says alot for those heads, especially for the price tag! I have a set of pro comp lifters in my motor im building now, ill let you guys know if these chinese lifters turn out to be crap or not like their heads.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:31 AM

I think calling them "junk" is a bit unfair. I purchased a set, and yes there were some issues. But as with everything else in life, you get what you pay for. I ran in to the following issues. The holes for the block alignment pins were too small, I had to drill them out to fit. One of the accessory holes in the end of the passenger side head was off, by 3/4". I had to redrill that as well to fit the serp drive brackets (both heads were made the same). The stock TPI intake would not seal to the head mating surface. The GM intake's flange is not straight across, it has a recess in the left front and the right rear, after the center bolts. This left a gap of about 1/4". Solution was a different intake ( I went with the Scoggins-Dickey Vortec TPI base). Depending on your application, they are not a direct bolt-on, at least in my experience. Still have some gremlins to work out, but I dont think they are related to the heads.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock

well i found some procomp full roller ss rockers so i came here to see what anyone knew about procomp.
first i dont want to buy anything made by slave labor like they do in china, i dont want anything cast in a country were there is no quality control, i dont care where they are machined, and last
I DONT WANT THEIR ROCKERS!
thanks for all you information. i know it was not for me, but you gotta love this board, what ever a 3rd gen needs to know, it is here.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:19 AM

Car: 87 TA
Engine: 350 modifyed Stelth Ram
Transmission: 350 rew lock up
Axle/Gears: 9"

hi

i am mounting a 350 with pro comp heads now.
but would like some advice with the spark plug.

the engine have 10.5 comp, so not a every day driver.

the producer off this enginge say it's going to give me some between 450-500 hp.
maybe not qite correct but hope to have a running enginge.

so anybody run this heads with this comp, if so what spark plug do you use?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:48 AM

Car: 82 Camaro
Engine: 327/30 over 1965 block
Transmission: 4 speed M22 trany
Axle/Gears: 373

I bought a set of the Procomp Heads 210cc 58cc chambers, It seem like a lot of people starting to buy them the heads now. I have not install the heads as of yet. I had a set of the 64cc sold them for this set 58cc...

intake 1206 if your using aluminum manifold us a printoseal gasket.
Spark plags type autolite AR3924 I was told by Procomp you may start with a cooler plugs than AR3924...

There's some pictures here,

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3200563

[/IMG]

Last edited by jag327; 05-03-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: up load pic..
Old 05-03-2009, 12:38 PM

I paid for all this, Procomp heads 210cc 58cc chambers, 1.6 roller rock arms 7/16 ARP studs, +100 push rods,Air gap rpm manifold,775 cfm dp cab,schneider cam and lifters, 6 gauges from oil temp to water temp ,valve covers,ignition system,gaskets,heads studs ARP, some items I may lift out, total $1389.45. I have talk to a few machine shops about the heads and there's few people racing the heads. Friend of mind has 68 camaro with small block 327 running procomp heads 10:20 in the 1/4 mile. And the porting he learn off of video's...

All this for $1389.45
picture of the heads and other items I bought.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...327pics042.jpg

Last edited by jag327; 05-17-2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: picture
Old 05-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Pro Comp Heads......

those heads are machined there but they are cast in china - where meaningful quality control does not exist. the central party says put out a fixed number of units of a product and you put out that many and you dont care if they are junk just as long as the central committee does not point the finger at you and say you failed the party.
the next thing that happens is your family gets a bill for 10 cents - the cost of the bullet in your head. and that is no darn joke. the time from trial to execution in china is less than 2 weeks.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:16 PM

Car: 1985 Yellow Iroc Z w/LS interiors
Engine: 305ci 5.0L

I was thinking of buy a set on ebay but now i going to double think about them.I going to let the time past and see more tpi cars with them and their results to take a final decision i buy a set or not. But updating about the topic because it is very interesting and thanks to all of guy who put your effort and time to do R&D in the new products.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:06 PM

Up date on the heads, heads are install motor runing very strong compression 11.2 with the 58cc procomp heads car pull away very hard from a 72 427 corvette met this guy pulling out of I hop he had nice cam in the corvette I pull on the side of him we went for it I beat him buy 5 cars, I'm running 327 in a 82 camaro M22 tranny the car will spin the tire going to 4th gear the torque is much stronger very happy with the heads and motor set up. I went pass Super car automotive they wonted to check out the car, in the shop they had 350/40 over 72 vega with 2 750 carbs with a set of procomp heads the car runs 10:20s, they bought the heads bear 210cc 64 I ask him the shop owner what he really think about the heads... he said good heads for the money as long as you buy them from a shop that check them. And he said brodix dart afr heads that he sales to some come in that need cleaning up and he said you never no who is really making heads or they come from now. All so Jegs is selling the heads now and talk to them to they said for the money for a street rod/mild drag race good heads, Speed Unlimited in MD I talk to them, they said the same thing and they maybe selling the heads soon... For me I was not going to dish out $1500 to $2500 for a set of heads. There's a Ford hot rod book that did a write on the heads should be a must read it's on line very good write up on the heads.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Supreme Member

would like to see how they continue to perform - glad you are doing well with them. did you have them checked for flaws?
keep us advised - its good to know about practical experience.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:30 PM

I have had good and bad with Pro comp stuff. I bought a electric water pump from them and it leaked from everywhere.I sent it back 3 times and they could not send a working waterpump. I have had roller rockers from them and they too failed, the pin that locks the roller tip to the rocker sheared on more than one. Thier dist and electrics suck. I have two sets of thier 210, 202/160 heads. I had them changed to 205/165 and changed the valve springs and locks to comp cam stuff. I love them ,I am sure that they do not flow like afr or world or any name brand heads (That cost thousands to purchase) but for the 600 bucks I paid for the set....you can't complain. I have a set on a 383 13:1 compression roller motor that sits in a 2000 lbs rail and it runs 5.768 in the 8th. They have not failed me yet. The other set is on a 357 ci 11.5:1 compression street motor in a 68 Camaro, Been on for 3 years. No problems, again I changed the valves and spring set up. As for everything else they make
Old 05-24-2009, 09:59 AM

Car: 92 Z-28
Engine: 5.7 cam, aluminum heads, tpi upgrad
Axle/Gears: 3:42

i just got my pro comp kit from whites performance. i got the heads, roller rockers and taller valve covers. cant wait to put the parts on! everything looks great! hopefully ill have time to put them on next weekend. also whites performance swaps the lower grade valves and parts for better stainless steel parts. ill keep everyone posted.

Last edited by joes407; 05-24-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by jag327
intake 1206 if your using aluminum manifold us a printoseal gasket.
Spark plags type autolite AR3924 I was told by Procomp you may start with a cooler plugs than AR3924...

That is exactly what I use... I'll tell you what for the money I paid for them I CAN NOT COMPLAIN AT ALL!!!
Old 05-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Let us no when you all get the heads on...
Old 05-24-2009, 01:39 PM

Let us no when you all get the heads on...
My heads have been on, look @ my sig..
Old 05-24-2009, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by joes407
i just got my pro comp kit from whites performance. i got the heads, roller rockers and taller valve covers. cant wait to put the parts on! everything looks great! hopefully ill have time to put them on next weekend. also whites performance swaps the lower grade valves and parts for better stainless steel parts. ill keep everyone posted.
DON"T USE THE ROCKERS! you'll be sorry, They will come apart at the roller tip! I have seen three sets do this already. They are trash.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Supreme Member

chicom's not only have junk quality control they have poor metalurgy - when there is the chance of using cheap metal they take it to save costs. it does not matter to them if a product line get a bad rep they just sell it cheap under a different name.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:17 PM

Maybe rocker was not set up right or it could be a bad set it do happen I broken a set Crower rocker 4 arms last year in my 84 mazda rx7 with 372 mopar motor in it - but the rockers I'm using in the mopar 372 are procomp rockers 1.6 the car runs high 9.42 all day long... everthing works find.... in my chevy s10 L98 350/40 over motor I use the procomp Hei distributor rev-limit - had install for about 1.4 years works find paid $69.00 I bought 2 keep 1 as a spare. - msd rev-limit cost $349.00
Old 06-09-2009, 09:12 PM

got my procomp heads on with my new tpis big mouth baseplate today. all in all pretty happy with the installation. 1 accessory hole was in the wrong spot on the head so i had to drill 1 hole there and had to die grind the coil bracket to accomodate the new baseplate. other than that everything seemed to "bolt on" easily. will fire it up tomorrow and post again.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:12 PM

I'm almost there with the heads...

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...o/pics2015.jpg

Last edited by jag327; 06-09-2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: up load pic
Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 89 forrmula
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.55

Well, it is true that "for the money" ProComp heads seem okay BUT-that is only because people are used to seeing a cheaper version of everything. I liken it to buying rotors. You will never see a parts store actually stocking the more expensive version-only the cheap ones. Most people don't know the actual differences...just the cost difference. Well, they look the same so why pay more? Besides, from a historical perspective, I am more than willing to pay a little more for a set of Edelbrock heads vs. a cheap copy casting from overseas. Why? Because I respect the fact that Vic Edelbrock has built his company throough hard work and a lot of experience/trial and error. He was a drag racer...he's been there and he's put in his time. My opinion is when you buy his heads (or anybody like him), so are also buying a bit of their knowledge. And, his pieces are made in the USA. I'm pro-American...anybody know a name of a drag strip in China? I didn't think so. Spend your money with the people who are contributing to the drag racers...not the guys trying to make a quick buck. I've had my share of experiences with overseas crap...for an average 12 second car...yes, they are fine I guess-maybe it's only when you step up big to the plate do the differences between cheap components and quality ones show themselves.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:04 AM

For some people they just can't pay $1200.00 to $2500.00 for a set of heads and not sure if they really are copies of edelbrock heads, The inside is not the same, For people who's build on a budget the procomp fit the price for a lot of people, And from what I'm seeing in MD,VA, they are hitting market for budget builders.
So far now people I have talk to and machine shops been happy with the heads. I have 327 sbc with the heads 58cc chambers at 6800 rpm 523 hp, It seem like makers of other brands heads could learn from this. Check out - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3200563

Last edited by jag327; 06-10-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: could not up load a pic
Old 06-10-2009, 06:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 97 5.7 Vortec LT4 hotcam
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

That hurt my head trying to read it.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:11 PM

well i got her fired up. sounds great! neither of my fans seem to be working now so before i can test drive i need to figure out my fan issue. they were working before i did the rebuild.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 97 5.7 Vortec LT4 hotcam
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

did you use teflon tape on the sensor? sometimes that can cause it not to ground properly.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:46 PM

yea i did. i think too much cuz when i ground the fan it works. trying to figure out how to get it to ground without draining all that new coolant and removing the sensor to put it back in with less teflon. also is the sensor on the drivers side head for the gauge the same way where it needs to be its own ground?
Old 06-10-2009, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 3rdgenmaro
That hurt my head trying to read it.
My son set up cardomain.com for me I had to get the pass word from him.... It's clean up some but still up dating it. More pics and the motor is back in the car and running very good. I never dyno car before - until now I drove the car pass a good friend machine shop he check out the work I did. He thought the motor was running around 475 hp just by how the motor sounded. He talk me in to hooking the car up on the dyno, and found the motor making 513 hp at 6500 rpm higher than we both thought. I miss read the dyno print out sheet not 523 hp but making 513 hp. The motor will rev higher but I set the mallory ignition to cut off at 6800 rpm.

My chevy S10 has a blue printed L98 covette motor 350 bored 40 over with 390 gearing. The camaro will pull away from the truck when it gets
in the 3500 rpm range. The camaro is running 373 gearing.

The heads I'm running are procomp 210cc 58cc chambers on a 327 sbc

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3200563

Last edited by jag327; 06-10-2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: was trying to load a pic could not get it to load.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:49 PM

joes407

Did you test ride the car yet, can you send some pics of the motor.
to jagcompany@aol.com if you can love to see the set up....
Old 06-10-2009, 06:45 PM

no test ride tonight. rockers were making alot of noise so i popped off the cover and some of the rollers arent even touching. doesnt matter how they get adjusted at some points they touch and some they dont. theyre not showing any wear marks anywhere but im sure the rocker is hitting the retainer.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:47 PM

You are running hyd roller lifters, the heads should take +100 push rods. The valves in the heads are a little long than in stock heads

Last edited by jag327; 06-10-2009 at 08:00 PM. Reason: add a little more info
Old 06-10-2009, 09:30 PM

got the longer rods in already.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:09 AM

ok cool then maybe the oil is not pump in the lifters yet after sitting for a few days.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:08 PM

got all the bugs worked out and car has been running good for a few days now. id say im very happy with the heads so far. they really woke up my cam alot. 2 thumbs up on this product even though i had to drill 1 accessory hole myself.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:28 AM

I'm glad you get it running keep us posted on how the heads are doing. What cam and specs are you running.

Last edited by jag327; 06-15-2009 at 06:30 AM. Reason: could not load a PIC
Old 06-15-2009, 12:58 PM

thanks! its built like this; L-98 with Lt-1 crank,rods & pistons, the new PROCOMP heads with 1.6 roller rockers, SLP 502/510 cam, TPIS big mouth manifold, ported plenum & slp runners. to go with that ive got no smog pump, egr or cat.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:40 PM

Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 383
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

been watchn the thread now for over a year. just about finished with my 383 for my 84 TA.
I really wanted a set of AFR's, who dont? but with the economy in the toilet and my work slowing down(contractor) I'm forced to get a cheaper set. I'm gonna try the pro comps, I've followed them on this site as well as others and from what I see, they are one of the best values on the market for the money.
I'm down to all I need is a set of heads, I can buy these and be at the strip before summers out or save for a set of AFR's and maybe make it by next year if I'm lucky....for all the ones that say spend a few extra hundred? where are they? all the AFR's I've seen are right at 1500 and the pro's are around 650 shipped, that is almost 2.5 times the price? point me to a set of AFR's for 850 and I"m there!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Pro comp Aluminum heads