Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Redlinegoods for thirdgen leather shift boots

Old 04-04-2007, 02:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 237 Likes on 178 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45
Redlinegoods for thirdgen leather shift boots

I've been looking for shift boots for thirdgens for quite awhile now, and they just don't seem to exist. I've tried 4thgen leather boots, and they're too small. So having one custom-made by an upholstery shop seemed like the only alternative.

But then someone posted a link to Redlinegoods on another topic thread, so I gave them a try. Copied from my post on that thread...

Re: Manual shift boot from 4th gen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orinackra
try this place, seems like they have a ton of applications, and pretty custom stuff too.
http://www.redlinegoods.com/productsChevrolet.shtm

Update...

Because it's nearly impossible to find leather shift boots for thirdgens, other than having one custom made by an upholstery shop, I gave Redline a try(above link).

The boot is nice! I can't verify the fit yet, but it looks to be of the correct dimensions and shape, so I'm anticipating a good fit.

I ordered charcoal leather with matching stitching, and the color is a near-perfect match to the Firebird's stock leather shifter ****. I've gone through a lot of color samples at upholstery shops, and that stock color is a hard one to match. So I'm very happy about this!

You can get them in just about any color leather with any color stitching. You can also order them made "shorter" for a better fit with a shorter sticks. I got mine 1" short for my Pro 5.0 stick.

*Edit: But to make the boot shorter, it appears they just cut-down the top of it without narrowing the diameter of the opening back to the lever diameter. So the neck fits too loosely on the shift lever. I think having it made only 1/2" shorter would be the most it should be shortened and the best fit for all applications.*

They're made-to-order in, and shipped directly from, Poland. So it takes about a week to make, then takes about another week for shipping.

So this is a nice, new option for thirdgens.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 04-08-2007 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Shorter fit
Old 04-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Peg Leg
Re: Redlinegoods for thirdgen leather shift boots

Didn't see this thread. I ordered one early Feburary (Feb 7th to be exact), and let me tell you, it looks great!

I haven't installed it yet, simply because I was waiting to get my Pro 5.0 shifter. I finally got the shifter (Its not shipping fault, its my own fault, everytime I went to order, I couldnt bring myserlf to hit "Give them all your money" button) so I hope to have it installed soon enough.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:40 AM

Car: 89 Bird 93 Old Cutlass Ciera
Engine: 305/ 3.8 S.C.
Transmission: 700r4 and IDK
Axle/Gears: ????????

I cant Remeber the webiste address Classic Ind Has the shift boots just download the online catalog free (PDF) it has all the manual and automatic stuff. And a lot of little stuff that hard to find $23.95 For the boot.

Last edited by speedracer0626; 04-13-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Peg Leg

I'd like to add that this is REAL leather. They say that its Italian leather, but Im taking their word on that.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Car: '91 GTA, '92 T/A Convertible
Engine: GTA: 350 w/Vortec heads, T/A: 305
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: GTA: 3.27, T/A: 2.73

I would like to highly recommend these shift boots to anybody who is even mildly interested in replacing or upgrading their original. Like mentioned above, these are real leather not the cheap looking vinyl or imitation leather. They have a plethora of options available. I had it narrowed down to two different choices and couldn't decide so I bought them both. I was very pleased with how they both came out. I decided to go with the baseball stitching to match my shifter and e-brake handle. I highly recommend them. Here is the one I installed:

and here is the other one that I ordered: