Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Selling my trans am and would like some input on really make it appealing to a buyer

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am & 1982 Corvette
Engine: L-98 with LO-3 induction. 350 CFI
Transmission: 5 speed and vette has 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373's in T/A .. vette unknown
Selling my trans am and would like some input on really make it appealing to a buyer

The car is in overall great condition as it is but lets get serious most buyers stay away from 24 year old cars. So if you were selling what areas of detail would you put emphasis on.
I realize the normal stuff like great shine, hood and trunk struts that work etc. so lets talk about products to really make my car look great. I'de also like to know how you guys track down rattles that happen when driving. And the discolored coolant/washer resovoir nasty stuff inside.
I just want to get the car to the point where it's not unreasonable at 3,500.00.

such as

engine compartment detailing
tire and wheel cleaning (rims concern. rim bead not shiny maybe polish them)
interior plastic
cleaning and renewing raised white letters on tires
Leather detailing
and yes the awful faded seat belts !!!!!! (what can be done)
horrible california water spots on windshield & hatch
nasty crud in wheel wells
and a few more but thats the bulk of it

Now by the rim bead I mean just that area it has something that appears to be flaking off maybe a clear coat of some sort. These are gold finned N-24's so this is the only area on the rims that looks bad.

Also would spray can clear coat work well on the rims after they have been cleaned up real good or is waxing the gold a better idea.

So lets hear what you look for when buying a car and what areas of detail make you more interested in it.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi
Re: Selling my trans am and would like some input on really make it appealing to a bu

Originally Posted by Jproz1167
The car is in overall great condition as it is but lets get serious most buyers stay away from 24 year old cars. So if you were selling what areas of detail would you put emphasis on.
I realize the normal stuff like great shine, hood and trunk struts that work etc. so lets talk about products to really make my car look great. I'de also like to know how you guys track down rattles that happen when driving. And the discolored coolant/washer resovoir nasty stuff inside.Buy new bottles from the dealer for $15.00 each. 10 minute removal and replace.
I just want to get the car to the point where it's not unreasonable at 3,500.00.

such as

engine compartment detailing...degrease engine, then wipe it down followed by dress all of the hoses and plastics to look new.
tire and wheel cleaning (rims concern. rim bead not shiny maybe polish them)This is one of the first things a buyer looks at-the rims. I would remove the clear coat with Aircraft cleaner and then either polish or leave as is. Don't spray on cheap clear coat. It will not look good.
interior plastic
cleaning and renewing raised white letters on tiresAgain another stand out area to a buyer. It is so easy to clean the raised white lettering so do it...
Leather detailingMeguires leather cleaner will clean and shine those seats in 15 minutes. Well worth the $5.00 bottle.
and yes the awful faded seat belts !!!!!! (what can be done)Not a lot unless you want to but some fabric spray paint which I don't reccomend. The only other choice is to swap them out but it is time consuming. Leave this for the next buyer
horrible california water spots on windshield & hatchSteel wool or brillo pad will remove the water spots. Buff your glass at the same time you buf the car
nasty crud in wheel wellsYou can power wash that off , remove the wheels and paint the wells black.
and a few more but thats the bulk of it

Now by the rim bead I mean just that area it has something that appears to be flaking off maybe a clear coat of some sort. These are gold finned N-24's so this is the only area on the rims that looks bad.

Also would spray can clear coat work well on the rims after they have been cleaned up real good or is waxing the gold a better idea.no clear coat. Clean polish and buff.

So lets hear what you look for when buying a car and what areas of detail make you more interested in it.
I have made my recomendations in red. Do you haveinterior pics.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am & 1982 Corvette
Engine: L-98 with LO-3 induction. 350 CFI
Transmission: 5 speed and vette has 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373's in T/A .. vette unknown
Re: Selling my trans am and would like some input on really make it appealing to a bu

hey thanks

yes I have interior pictures of it why? took them about a year ago before it was turned into a 5 speed. overall the interior really isnt that bad just needs a very good detailing. leather door panels and seats are still very nice except leather seems to not be as soft as it used to. one area of concern is that chalky white stuff on some of the plastic from age and sun. I thought about using wet sandpaper on it to remove this stuff. I do have a new dash pad for it so that will help.