Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

should i buy an IROC spoiler or should i buy a wrap-around for my bird?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2001, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should i buy an IROC spoiler or should i buy a wrap-around for my bird?

i already have a normal aero-spoiler but i want a more aggresive look in the back. should i buy the IROC or the wrap-around. also, how hard is it to replace the spoiler? putting on the new one wont be hard to put on but what about taking off the old one. by the way if anyone has pics that would really really help. thanks.

------------------
1987 pontaic firebird
2.8 liter v6,5 speed, hurst shifter,rapid fire plugs,borg warner wires,160 degree thermo,K&N,polished plenum,custom exhaust,modded air box,american racing wheels,3"tach,autogauge gauges,run with no spare tire,grant challenger steering wheel,firebird floor mats

pics at:http://www.gatherround.com/u114277a116822passs.invt
then click on guest view under pic #5.
Old 05-13-2001, 11:06 PM

I have the High Rise Spoiler on my 89 gta, I love it, personally I hate the wrap around ones, its alot easier taking off the old one then putting the new one on, just pops right off. you have to fill holes though. other then that its easy.

------------------
Old 05-13-2001, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suggest going with the Z spoiler. I really don't like the look of either aerowing on the TA's. I put on a 91-92 Z28 Spoiler on myself and it looks killer (86 TA)Sorry, I don't' have any pics of my car, but here is a pic of an 85 TA with my spoiler on it. (courtesy of Karps TA)

https://www.thirdgen.org/rides/ridei...arkfrtqtr2.jpg

As for the installation, removing the aerowing is very simple. There are two bolts holding it in place that should unscrew from the underside of the hatch. Then there's usually sealant under to prevent water from getting in, you just lift the spoiler off and wipe the sealant away. You can slide the wing out of the clips attaching it to the hatch glass, or you can just break it off for the same effect (thats what I did, and all came out fine)

Your main concern here is that the bolts holding the Wing aren't rusted. Mine were and I had to sand away half my hatch and mold it all over with Bondo. (not a fun project) The bolts just broke when I tried unscrewig em, and left big rusty holes in my hatch.

Other then that you shouldn't have any probs, although you will have to drill new holes for the Maro spoiler.

That just about covers all the aspects, feel free to E-mail me if you still having probs. I'll post pcs of my car here As soon as I can. Later

-Max

-'86 Trans Am WS6
-305 TPI with 700R4
-All stock until I fix all the problems

Old 05-14-2001, 12:49 AM

Yea, I think the Z spoiler will give it a kewl unique look.

------------------
EVILFACE

88 Camaro
Stock 305 TBI Auto,Flowmaster, Full 3" Exhaust, B&M Megashifter, K&N Open Element
Runs A Blistering 16.5 @ 81.5 mph

http://www.evilface.com/evilscamaro.htm