Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

To cover or not to cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro IROC
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: turbo 400
To cover or not to cover

I just painted my car and don't want it to get messed up so i thought it would be a good idea to get a car cover. It sits outside most of the time but i just read that any dirt on the car can scratch the paint with the cover on. Just wondering how many people use covers or reasons to not get one.

thanks
1fastrock
Old 04-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 camaro Sports Coupe
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: 89 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 gov lock
Re: To cover or not to cover

i use one, but my paints messed up anyways so yeah , just dont go cheap on an outside car cover, get the good one
Old 04-06-2010, 12:23 PM

Car: 91 RS T-top
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42 fourth gen disk brake

My girlfriends car stays covered all the time but when we take it out for the weekend or whatever she always washes it before covering again
Old 04-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6

1fastrock, how long ago did you have it painted? My driveway is 380 feet of loose dirt so i'm wondering the same thing. How am I going to protect the paint?
If you do decide on covering it and it's still pretty fresh paint, i'd recommend at least hosing all the dirt/pollen off and then drying it with a leaf blower before putting the cover on it. Because of where I live, i'm going to just leave it uncovered as so much dirt gets kicked up from my car and other cars pulling in and out of the driveway, there is no way I could keep all of it from getting into the cover.

-Jim
Old 04-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock

When ours was painted, I was about to put it in Dad's garage. I noticed the wood over head beams were sapping-NOT GOOD!!
So I asked the painter what he would do. He said " Cover it with plastic drop cloth material. " Sooo, we did. Next day, I saw BIG discoloring where the plastic was touching, or even close to the car! Horrified, I called him, he came right over. Before I opened the garage, I told him " it's only on areas the plastic was close to or touching the paint. "
His eyes got big as plates & said he told me to " cover it -- the GARAGE -- in plastic, NOT the car!! "
We got it buffed out, & it looks great!!

So, sounds to me like you should get a hi-quality weather resistant, breathable cover. How recent was the paint?

PS
Personally, I would not cover it til it fully cures & out-gasses. Ask the painter when it can be covered. Noah ( spelling? ) makes quite a few all weather covers. We use Budge, but it goes in a garage. Budge may be short for Budget ie- CHEAP!! Lolol

Last edited by t-top havoc; 04-06-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: PS add
Old 04-06-2010, 02:40 PM

Car: 89 Camaro IROC
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: turbo 400

The car got painted around two weeks ago and it is still being stored in a garage right now so im not worried about it yet. I more worried about it being out in the rain and under trees that drip sap and stuf.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock

I hate sap! Bug & tar remover works great for getting sap off too--
BUT IDK about using it on such fresh paint.

IMHO, I agree with another poster & get a good quality all weather cover.
Some may say " it's just a car " . It's yours & your $. Sap & bird crap are mean to paint if not removed ASAP.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6

Originally Posted by 1fastrock
The car got painted around two weeks ago and it is still being stored in a garage right now so im not worried about it yet. I more worried about it being out in the rain and under trees that drip sap and stuf.
The paint is still very fresh, if anything, build a temporary car port to park it under. 2x4's and a tarp is all you need to keep the sap and bird droppings off of it. Sap is especially hard to get off and would definately hurt the paint while on the car and when you try to take it off. Don't put a car cover on it yet.