Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Water marks

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Chevy Camaro RS TBI
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700 R4
Water marks

Anyone know of a good easy way to get rid of hard water marks? Ive tried using rubbing compound and regular turtle wax but nothing seems to work? Im very open for suggestion. My wife and both have nasty hard water marks on our 3rd gens. Thanks in advance for any ideas
Old 07-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock
Re: Water marks

Have you tried a claybar?

A few ways that reduce the spotting--

Wash a cool car-- If you have a garage, get all your washing & drying stuff ready b4 pulling into the sun. Use a good wash // shampoo. Under shade is always preferred to keep you & the car cool.
I personally use Meguires Gold Class car care items.

Wash 1 section at a time, then chamis, terry towel, or microfiber towel dry. Do another section, dry, etc til it's all done.

OR-- Wash it, but don't let it dry til you put it back in the garage, then dry it-- Don't let it air dry. The more help you have drying would be a plus!

If you wax right after washing, make sure the car is cool to the touch still.

I know, it's freakin' summer!!..

If you use the touchless places, go when it's cooler out, like early AM or sometime in the evening.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 RS camaro 305 TBI
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: yep, has those too (stock)

As a fishkeeper I know a thing or two about water and watermarks

In my area we have very alkaline water (when washing, it's the salts and minerals in the water that commonly cause these watermarks. More alkaline water causes more severe marks).

Over the past few years I had to find ways to deal with this.
Since my paintjob is not that great, and no longer original, I do not use expensive cleaning materials. My car can still shine and not have watermarks however.

For one, it's very time consuming to remove watermarks once they're there. Best thing there for is to prevent them from appearing.

Things to keep in mind:

-watermarks only appear if the water forms drops or puddles that dry completely.

-purified water does not contain minerals. It does not cause watermarks. Rainwater is purified.

-water dries faster on warm surfaces (hood, after the car has been running) and in the sun (quite obvious)

I found a car wash that offers car washing cabins with pressure cleaners using rainwater. I go there in the evening hours, or early in the morning to stay out of the sun as much as possible.

After washing, using soap etc. I wash once more with (filtered) rainwater, use squeegee to wipe the water off. If I did the soaping part well, and the car is clean, there will be (nearly) no watermarks after wiping off the water.

At that stage I still have to drive home. Applying wax could finish off the job with a nice and even shine all over.

As long as you do not live in an appartment, consider a rainwater collecting tank. They often come with a filter. Gives you all the nice and purified water you'd need to clean the car for only the cost of a container with filter. Filter sounds like atechnical piece of equipment but can be fabricated with simple means for next to nothing
Old 07-10-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '92 firebird
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42 gears with eaton posi

Meguiars ultimate compound seems to work pretty good on the paint for getting the water spots off. It's a liquid type. If you have an electric buffer it works even better. Won't dull your paint either. Just follow it up with a good coat of wax and your set.

As far as the glass goes I have yet to find anything that will easily take the 19 years of water spots off my glass easily. However recently I tried nevrdull aluminum polish. it comes in a big silver can. It takes a fair amount of work but seems to take them off without scratching the glass. My local tint shop told me they have a special cleaner to take water spots off glass but I haven't bought any to test out yet.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...P194/16-oz-S1/

Scroll down to see it in action:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...ml#post8154959
Old 07-18-2011, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '91 1LE
Engine: 377 w/Stealthram
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Torsen

Distilled white vinegar works good. Dilute with a little water, spray on, and wipe off.