Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Interior trim product comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 5.7L LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Interior trim product comparison

So I was at the wrecker last week and grabbed some door panels, unfortunately the trim broke while I was removing it (pretty dried out and brittle....and maybe a poor technique on my part), anyways had it sitting in the garbage and saw my shelf of products and thought which product am I going to use to clean up my interior, well here are the results from the garbage piece. From left to right is original trim before treatment, then spray nine (general purpose cleaner I use just about on everything), then armour all, then mothers, followed by turtle wax plastics restorer, and lastly a mcquires leather cleaner I hate using on the leather in my other vehicles but always noticed it left dark spots on trim when I over sprayed the seats. So in my opinion mcquires leather left the trim the darkest but also the greasiest (which is why I hate it on my laether), second best is mothers (which I hate cause it leaves your car smelling like a urinal), so that left turtle wax in third for darkest and no oil residue. I still prob will give the mcquires a shot because it looks so good! Maybe it's bad to put leather conditioner on the trim but I guess I will figure that one out also. That's it, no real purpose to my post just killed some time last night.
Attached Thumbnails Interior trim product comparison-image.jpg  
Old 04-02-2016, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 RS, 2002 Chev Silverado
Engine: 305
Re: Rattling Doors

I don't know how to post a new thread so I am cutting in. My drivers door rattles on rough roads. The hinge pins are tight? What could it be.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:47 PM

Re: Interior trim product comparison

Go back to auto detailing and appearance page and start at the top of the screen, scroll down until u see the 2nd blue bar across the screen. On the.ft side right above it you clearly will see a "new thread" icon, click it and make your post...you will get better results about door rattle from that than from a detailing thread, or better yet go back 2 pages and post under the "interior" section rather than the detailing section.

Last edited by 87iroctheo; 04-02-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

Mine were so faded I just ended up spraying them black again with interior dye. Yours turned out really nice though!
Old 04-02-2016, 10:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

Good to know, I've been looking for something decent as well.

FWIW, the best way to remove the upper trim is to apply slight pressure from underneath (typically the door panel) and bump, or smack the trim piece inward. There are little clips that momentarily release when you bump it, while the pressure from underneath keeps it loose as you go along from one end to the other.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Scorpner
FWIW, the best way to remove the upper trim is to apply slight pressure from underneath (typically the door panel) and bump, or smack the trim piece inward. There are little clips that momentarily release when you bump it, while the pressure from underneath keeps it loose as you go along from one end to the other.
Good to know, my old panels have been of several times but the top rail was always cracked that must have made my method work so well, I did look at the three clips after I broke the first one but still wasn't sure of the best technique. Now that I have 2 nice top rails I really don't want to break them
Old 04-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

FWIW, I've been going to junk yards for years and it's common to find these cracked about six inches from the front. I'm not sure the reason for it though. Good to know you have a couple of good ones.