Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

aahh rust and por15 questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aahh rust and por15 questions...

i searched but couldnt find wat i was looking for completely..

i have a few rust spots, one is a small 1x2 surface rust on the back fender, and another is on the bottom of the drivers door, but it has a freakin hole into the door... i saw in the por15 catalog that there is a puddy you can use, that fills in these rot holes if they arent too big, its like the size of a dime.

is that a choice? or is gettin a new door or welding in new metal my only choices?

keep in mind... im going to paint the car the original color... bright red with the black on the bottom.. the rotted part is completely in the black part, but the fender's rust is all in the red part.. so will i be able to sand down the por15 a little, put on some primer, then paint over it? same with the rot spot.. will i be able to paint over this stuff?

ive heard of por15 not being able to be painted over or something... and i cant imagine getting a colored one and tryin to match that color to the factory color or something... i dont know, help a brother out hehe thanks a lot

by the way.. my dad is a bodyman for a living, and knows how to paint, but we never had to deal with rust problems like this, so im sure he has the bodywork down pat except for the rust part... if that means anything to the problem hehe
Old 07-23-2002, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone?? lol i know someone has to know about this por15
Old 07-24-2002, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rust where the inner & outer door panels overlap at the bottom of the door is a very common problem on 10+ year old cars that reside in the "rust belt".

proper solution to fix is to unbend the flange at the bottom of the door, cut off the rusty metal, weld in some new metal and reassemble.

since thirdgen parts are cheap & plentiful in the salvage yards, it may be more cost effective to just install a pair of used doors. (that's if you can find a nice set. many will be as bad or worse than what's currently on your car.)

if money is tight, can always smooth the area out with some body filler and paint. but be warned this solution will only last a few months before you need to apply more bondo and repaint the panel.