Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Cleaning and restoring interior parts...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning and restoring interior parts...

Hey,

I was wondering what the best process would be of cleaning and restoring the interior plastics, carpets, cloth, etc to like-new finish... Also how do iI get that new car smell back!

I wouldn't mnd taking parts off and cleaning/painting them... I want to keep everything as origional as possible.

I might be willing to go with new carpeting and headliner sooner or later, but right now the budged calls for only time and possibly some cleaners...
Old 08-13-2002, 05:49 AM

you can use a mild all purpose cleaner and a scrub brush to get the crud out of the cracks ob the plastic,then wipe it down real good,Something like diluted simple green,or that purple stuff(you can find in Wal-Mart.Thing,s like the steering wheel,shifter ****,they get dirt and stuff like make-up(if your a woman,or a crossdresser) and if that doesn't come out with a rag,you can use the scrub brush,and if that don't work you can use some really fine steel wool with all purpose.Apply light pressure and make sure to keep it wet and it will remove the crud in the steering wheel..As far as getting new car scent in your car,you can shampoo you interior and mix some new car scent in with the shampoo,but let your car dry with the windows open...hope this helps.These are just things i've done in the 10+ years of detailing
Old 08-13-2002, 04:12 PM

hmmmm...

Originally posted by redrs89
you can use a mild all purpose cleaner and a scrub brush to get the crud out of the cracks ob the plastic,then wipe it down real good,Something like diluted simple green,or that purple stuff(you can find in Wal-Mart.Thing,s like the steering wheel,shifter ****,they get dirt and stuff like make-up(if your a woman,or a crossdresser) and if that doesn't come out with a rag,you can use the scrub brush,and if that don't work you can use some really fine steel wool with all purpose.Apply light pressure and make sure to keep it wet and it will remove the crud in the steering wheel..As far as getting new car scent in your car,you can shampoo you interior and mix some new car scent in with the shampoo,but let your car dry with the windows open...hope this helps.These are just things i've done in the 10+ years of detailing
Is there an unscented multi-purpose cleaner, to do the panels and stuff and also is there a unscented shampoo? I hate the strong scent of cleaners. Even when I open the windows to let it dry out, the scent is overwealming. Even glass cleaner has a strong scent. Do you suggest the spray foam shapoo in a can or an actual rug cleaner vaccum that I should rent to shampoo the car?

Also there is tar stains in the ash tray, the person who owned the car before me smoked in it I am sure the headliner has smoke stains as well. Is there something that will clean either of these well.

And no I am not a women or a crossdresser.... hahaa...
Old 08-14-2002, 05:46 AM

The purple stuff at walmart will not put out too much of a scent after diluting it,As far as shampoo,You could put some purple stuff(all purpose) diluted in a spray bottle and start spraying into the carpet,While spraying scrub with the scrub brush.This will cause foam.Foam will help lift dirt and stains instead of sinking them into the carpet to bleed up when dry.When you get done scrubbing(only do 1 section at a time)your carpet should look very foamy,Next suck it up with a shop vac or a wet dry vac.Doing it this way seems like a pain but you end up with less bleed through,and Faster drying times.It also shouldn't leave much of a cleaner smell.Just incase you get any tough stains or bleed up,just spray some all purpose cleaner and wipe it with a dry rag.Your seats can be sprayed (mist)and go over with a dry cloth,As far as your ashtray,spray it full strength and soak it for a few....hope this helps
Old 08-14-2002, 12:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
On the ash tray, are you talking about the removeble metal part? If so and the other cleaners dont work for you, use some tar and bug remover that they, sell to get tar off your paint. Then I would repaint it if its the metal part. The tar remover should work on plastic also just read the bottle to make sure.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:18 PM

Hehe

Originally posted by redrs89
The purple stuff at walmart will not put out too much of a scent after diluting it,As far as shampoo,You could put some purple stuff(all purpose) diluted in a spray bottle and start spraying into the carpet,While spraying scrub with the scrub brush.This will cause foam.Foam will help lift dirt and stains instead of sinking them into the carpet to bleed up when dry.When you get done scrubbing(only do 1 section at a time)your carpet should look very foamy,Next suck it up with a shop vac or a wet dry vac.Doing it this way seems like a pain but you end up with less bleed through,and Faster drying times.It also shouldn't leave much of a cleaner smell.Just incase you get any tough stains or bleed up,just spray some all purpose cleaner and wipe it with a dry rag.Your seats can be sprayed (mist)and go over with a dry cloth,As far as your ashtray,spray it full strength and soak it for a few....hope this helps
Sounds like I have a long day or couple of days ahead of me thanks for the help...
Old 08-14-2002, 11:19 PM

Metal part

Originally posted by Aviator857
On the ash tray, are you talking about the removeble metal part? If so and the other cleaners dont work for you, use some tar and bug remover that they, sell to get tar off your paint. Then I would repaint it if its the metal part. The tar remover should work on plastic also just read the bottle to make sure.
Yea, talking about the metal part.. I've tried a lot of multi-purpose stuff, and there is still this nasty grime in there.. I'll try the tar and bug remover... I should have thought of that...