Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

undercoating over undercoating?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
undercoating over undercoating?

first ide like to say hello becasue this is my first post on this forum
next i have to say that i did a search on this topic however i did not get the specific answer i wanted

so i have about a half of a quart of POR-15 left after i did the engine crossmember and rear axle(what i could get to at least)
and i wanted to do my floorpans. i have an 83 z28 which doesnt seem to be too bad on the floorpans (i think the road grim keeps the moisture out haha) anyway i think their is the factory crap undercoating there already (the grey stuff) its not in bad shape at all just a few places here and there which look to start to peal and get coroded so finally my question is"

can i clean the grime off the best that with marine clean and use the POR on the grey stuff or ... is it a must that i find a way to scrape all of the grey off first? and i know that the por stuff works best on metal contact but i dont have any torches or grinders to get all of the factory stuff off.

i have a few patches where its starting to peel and corode.
is there another way to assist the grey factory paint in keeping the rust away?
thanks alot guys!!
Old 11-14-2003, 12:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Hardtop
Engine: LB9 w/G92 Pkg
Transmission: T5 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 9-Bolt, 3.45
Assuming you remove all the loose, flaky stuff and prep it with marine clean, the POR-15 should stick to the factory grey stuff just fine. I've used it over body seam-sealer and it adheres fine to that.