Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

84 vs 92 heater control.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 10:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
84 vs 92 heater control.

Hi,
OK, I have a 84 Camaro without A/C. Sometime this summer I'm going to start my interior swap to match that of a 92 Camaro (entire dash, and cluster). To complete the swap I wanted to also swap out the heater control switch so that it has the same yellow writing as everything else. The other day I was at the junk yard and actually saw a 92 without A/C and it still had the heater control in it. So I got it, and yesterday I was going to swap them out.

Well, when I started to remove my old control I noticed this one major difference between the two. The 84 Style control has 2 cables that are controlled off the sliders. On the 92 style it only has 1 cable for one slider and the other control is run off a vacuum setup of some kind.

So my question is, what else would I need to replace in the car to make the 92 heater control work? Where do those vacuum lines go? (heater box, somewhere else?)

Like I said above, I'm going to be replacing the entire dashboard so since the everything is going to be out of the car I might as well get the parts I need to make the 92 control work. Hopefully its possible, I hate to have everything switched over but that 1 part.

Thanks
Chris.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:06 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
If you switch out the hvac ducting as well (which I'll assume you are), it will have all the vacuum servos on it. Vacuum is drawn from the the TB (or a constant vac port on a carb) and the tube runs through the firewall next to the A/C box. The black tube ties to the purple on the hvac controls. The colored tubes plug to the servos. The single cable for the heat selector operates the hot/cold air diverter door. Once you pull the new ducting (or uncover it), you'll see the vac servos and the lines hooked to them. The 2nd small vac diverter on the hvac controls (purple and grey tubes to it) controls the heater control valve under the hood. The grey line runs back out to the bay through the same hole the other line runs in.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Supreme Member

hmm, ok

by how you described it, it doesn't sound too difficult to do this project.

Yes I'll be replacing all the ducting, so once I get that I should be good to go right?
Old 01-17-2004, 09:29 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
I may have misread your original post. You are wanting to install a newer dash minus the A/C ?
If so, you'll probably still need the ducting from the donor car. Take note of how you uninstaqlled it and then installation is reverse of how you removed it.
I'm not too familiar with non-a/c cars as they aren't common around here in the boneyards (ever) so I can't say for certain how those controls work. I was stating from a non a/c car to one that has a/c (though, it may still apply from non a/c to non/ a/c).

Regardless though, you should swap nearly everything from the 92 to your current car (wiring shouldn't need to be changed for the most part). The one major difference in dashes though it the 92 has a electronic speedo as to where your current is a cable driven unit. You''ll need to switch out the tranny unit for a VSS (take it off the 92 if it's there) and aquire a VSS buffer box from a firebird so the speedo works properly.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Supreme Member

Ya its a non a/c to non a/c unit. Ya they are hard to find especially in the 92 model year. What sucks is, the one I found tht I got the heater control out of, the vacuum lines that hook to the control were cut. Can those be replaced? or are they 'hardwired' on the other end and can't be replaced?

Yep I knew about the VSS, that's the only thing left I need to get. I bought a dash off a guy about a year ago and its been sitting in the garage. I looked and saw that the buffer box was still attached to it

I haven't actually seen what the VSS looks like, it just screws into the tranny where my cable goes right? Would the junk yard be the best place to get this, or are they available at a autoparts store?

Thanks again
Chris.