Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Fiberglass door panels

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Z28 "Holly" (SOLD)
Engine: Carbed 305
Transmission: TH350
Fiberglass door panels

Okay I want to get fiberglass door panels for my car and the guy who bought my Z28 wants them as well. I was just curios if anyone has thems/ has pics. Or knows where I can get them done or get a mold for them. I just want to know who to talk to so i can get a price estimate.

Thanks Drew
Old 01-21-2004, 04:28 PM

Car: See pic above
Engine: Too Small
Transmission: Broken
Custom or stock? There are other options beside fiberglass. Mine are molded ABS. They're going through yet another change (new door pulls and changing switch positions. I'm also moving the armrest further forward). www.raxo.net/jeremy/Camaro Website
Old 01-22-2004, 01:49 AM
Supreme Member

your looking at close to 1,000 for a custom one off fiberglass show piece. learn to do it yourself and you'll save big.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:36 AM

Car: 84 Z28 "Holly" (SOLD)
Engine: Carbed 305
Transmission: TH350
I am capable of doing fiberglass work because when we primered my Z I backed over the passenger side GFX and crushed the part that goes behind the front wheel and I built it back up. I just want to know if there is anyway I can get a mold made that has no holes or anything, just a mold for a solid piece of fiberglass so that I can customize them myself. I just would like tofind a mold before going through the time to make a mold then the door panel. Joezero where did you get the molded ABS from??

Thanks Drew
Old 01-22-2004, 11:02 AM

Car: See pic above
Engine: Too Small
Transmission: Broken
I got mine from www.roddoors.com Basically it comes as a large square and then you trim it to fit. There was a website (the link I have is no longer valid) that showed the buildup of an Alpine show car. I want to say it was an Acura RSX. Anyway, they started with the stock door panel and fiberglassed right on top of it. This would probably be the most cost effective way to it. What type of design are you currently looking for? I changed my door panels b/c I hated the factory arm rest and wanted something that blended into the door. In hindsight, I probably could have just gotten some firebird panels and modified them slightly to get the results I wanted. Would have probably been cheaper too.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:35 PM

Car: 1992 RS Camaro
Engine: 5.0 L03 TBI 305
Transmission: 700R4
The alpine Civic SI show car is the way I did mine, but....

Go to their website, they have alot of really nice pictures to help out. Basically you tape up the door and window (thats after you pull off the old panel ). Then use spray glue and glue on alluminum foil (this prevents the fiberglass from permently sticking. Use alot of drop clothes!!! Resin will not come out of anything! Put the first layer of glass on the door and let dry, then do another layer and let dry. Make sure its completely dry and pull around the edges until it comes off. Peel the foil off the back (Peels right off) and continue to do more layers of glass onto this.

Downside to fiberglass for door panels (Yes, I learned this the hard way) is that the way our doors are constructed (heavy and tend to sag) and the plastic molding in front of the base of the door. It starts to scratch and cut at the paint which really sucks.

So.... My new panels I'm working on are actually going to be fiberglassed and covered in black vinal and then a fiberglass speaker pod, armrest, ect. are attached to that. It takes alot of time to do these projects though.

DD

Post if you have anymore concerns or questions.