Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

4th Gen Wiring; Good Progress + Info!

Old 12-26-2004, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Trans Am
Engine: lt1 intaked 355 makin 277 on 25 psi of fuel pressure and stock timing :)
Transmission: A4 stock... that moved a mobile dyno a foot shifting into 2nd :)
yea have u never heard of this? first car i know of that had it was the vette but i want it and from what it looks like i think u can splice in to the vss signal and get your input from there..... and it should work.... not sure but i am gonna try it and post up my results... so as u hit the gas the volume rises and lowers depending on speed
Old 12-29-2004, 03:18 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)
had it in a rental buick once....was actually very very annoying, cause it was increasing non-porportionally (sp) to wind noise increase....so, you could relaly hear the radio kick up @ 60 mph, although the outside noises didn't get much louder than when you were doing 45. would make for a nice toy however, had the thought of doing it years ago, but through it away....the time where it would be handy is when your interstating w/ the t-tops off...then, that'd be a hands free lil' benefit.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:54 PM

Engine: lt1 intaked 355 makin 277 on 25 psi of fuel pressure and stock timing :)
have an update on the headlights from a trans am to a trans am..... pre 90 i guess....there is a problem of the lights not going back down to the off/down position...... and i have found a cure.... i went through and probed the back of the headlight switch with the connector in and power running through it... and there are 2 unused terminals that supply 12v's in the off position and no current when park/headlights on....is one of the spots a, b, or c i am not by the car right now but its which ever one isnt used there are 2 that do the same thing so its either or.... now how to get it to work..... go to your 4th gen harness and start looking at the extra connectors... and find one that had a terminal that looks like the metal terminals in the connector... then cut it and carefully remove the from the connector (destroy the connector if need be but try not to bend the connector) then take it to your headlight connector and remove the little plastic snap retaining plastic peice, remove the rubber weather seal if the wire has one..... then slide it in... and replace that clip...... and splice the white wire from your factory headlight harness to the new installed wire..... and BAM the go up and down.....
Old 12-30-2004, 09:14 PM
Supreme Member

had someone e-mail me a question about the headlight operation, so i responded to them with this.

Alright, can't remember if it was u, or the other guy who i told that the
wiring might be different....neway, this is what i got.

3rd gen..........................4th gen
Yellow (x2).....................Yellow
White............................Orange
Brown...........................Brown
Pink.............................Pink
Gray..............................Gray
Black (cluster ground).....Black

Didn't have foggies so i cna't be sure on that one...i think there's info on
it somewhere in 3rd gen cause people were having issues w/ it
before......sorry can't be of further help...

The two yellows on the 3rd gen were spliced into the one yellow on the 4th
gen...and the white from the orange was also connected to what i believe a
red from the VSS/Buffer thingie on the back of my speedo, in an attempt to
ghetto rig my speedo to work....failed attempt, needing to convert to an
electric sender. anway, anymore qudstions just ask away and i'll do my best
to help....
Old 02-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 iroc-z/28
Engine: 408 lsx
Transmission: 5800 stall
Axle/Gears: 4.71
Originally posted by tpiroc

There is a strange light that's red with an arrow pointing down into a box that's controlled by a yellow and black wire.

There's a large orange wire from the 4th gen cluster that needs to be connected to one of the pink and black wires to power the instruments.

Lastly, there's a red wire that puzzles me; it needs to be connected to a ground though.

back from the dead. the yel/blk wire is the "low coolant sensor" wire. it actually has its own bulb, tiny lil thing, dont know why. im not using it, but its good info for someone.

why does the red wire need to be grounded? what happens if it isnt?
a GM service sheet labels it "generator output" i would assume it does something with the alternator?
Old 02-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
My volt gauge does not work on my firebird dash and the red is grounded, but I really dont care.

I wish everything was functional but one guage not workin wont bug me
Old 02-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Supreme Member

i finally got around to hooking up my 97 cluster and all gauges work WITHOUT hooking up the "thin red wire"
does anyone know what it actually does? in my case it was not an issue.
my "LOW OIL" light is on, ill make a seperate post and see if anyone knows what resistance it takes to shut it off. 12v or grounding it does NOT turn it off.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:44 AM

Car: 85 IROC
Engine: 385AFR head, Mini Ram Intake
Transmission: 6 Sp.
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but has any tried to connect the whole wiring harness to the stock socket for the car. Would that be easier or are the wiring totally different
Old 03-30-2005, 01:35 AM
Supreme Member

as in just put it to the computer? should be totally different. Which is why you have to do all the fun splice here, splice there. If you've done or are doing and LT1, or LS1 swap, and have the 4th gen wiring harness, hehe, plug-n-play.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:40 AM

Car: 85 IROC
Engine: 385AFR head, Mini Ram Intake
Transmission: 6 Sp.
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Thanks, that what I was wondering, Going to do it in a couple of months. Have everything. Seats, dash, door panels and console. Puttin a 385 with LT1 heads and intake int also. Probably going to get the motor in first then handle the swap. Its a 85 Iroc with a 96 6sp. so no speedo yet. Changing the TPI to 90 map system. I bougth everything to do the 90 dash swap, but selling it now. Just have to figure out how to hook the speedo to the 6sp. still not dure if its a direct wire or not.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI (L98)
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.45
Originally posted by tpiroc

There is a strange light that's red with an arrow pointing down into a box that's controlled by a yellow and black wire.

That is the low coolant light. The sensors usually die before the lights, but I guess they could be helpful. I have heard that on the 95 camaros the sensor is located in the radiator, but I can't promise anything.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:12 PM
Supreme Member

sensor is on the passenger side side of the radiator. in the upper location i think. just unhook it, most people too. the light staying on is a common problem from corrosion getting on the sensor and giving it a false reading.
good luck.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:47 AM
Supreme Member

Car: GM & Jaguar
Engine: Various
Transmission: Various
Axle/Gears: Various
Originally posted by 85 roc it
Just have to figure out how to hook the speedo to the 6sp. still not dure if its a direct wire or not.
The VSS output on the T56 should be a direct signal for later model speedometers that are VSS controlled - others that have T56 swap experience could answer for certain though. I haven't been on the board in months - that's cool this is still a sticky! I want to keep the sticky alive with some progress, but I haven't touched the Camaro in MONTHS! Once my current project gets buttoned up, I hope to tinker with this interior project in my spare time and will be eager to share it. I only wanted to paint the floor before putting it all back together, and finished that LAST fall.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:37 PM

wiring

ok guys, im in the process of doing the 4th gen swap on my 79 camaro and so far this is the most informative site as far as the 4th gen swap is concerned that i have found. i have all of the parts to do the swap(dash, cluster, console, and seats) and i have seen it done in a hand full of cars. the only problem is, when this swap is done in a 2nd gen camaro, people swap every thing including the motor, so every thing is just plug it in ang go.
i dont have that kind of money, so i know this wont be an easy swap. i want to have a fully functional dash and i was wondering if i can swap in a harness and computer out of a third gen(wrecking yards are full of 3rd gen stuff here) so i can have a fully functional dash. i would use a harness and computer out of a 4th gen but they are hard to find in the yards arround here and they are pricey when i can find one. i hope you guys can offer me a little help here. thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Supreme Member

what year is the guage cluster you are using, this is a BIG part of the conversion.

i can get you a schematic of the plug, and you can hardwire everything yourself. all you need is a few of the correct sensors and a lil creativity. so all the stuff works.
there are bugs with anything, but its not required to have a complete harness if you are just wanting the gauges themselves to work properly.
ive got a carbed motor in my ride and all my gauges work fine with my ls1 dash swap.
good luck, LMK if you have any Q's
Old 01-20-2006, 06:44 AM
Supreme Member

hey stage 20, what'd u do for your tach and your speedometer? my tach works, but is off ( i can guage it still pretty well for speed) and my speedo well, it rests on the zero mark....
Old 01-20-2006, 08:28 AM

85f-bird i had to get the dakota digi box.... and the speedo you could need a 2nd dakota digi box to send the correct signal
Old 01-20-2006, 01:57 PM

metel bar

when i bought my dash it came with a metel bar/bracket but im not to sure where it is supposed to mount.
wher does it connect to the dash/firewall.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Supreme Member

its been a while for me, so, this could be painful....i believe that the 4th gen metal support bracket is basically connected the way the old 3rd gen bracket was. I connected it to the steering column , and then to the side post connectors at the corners of the doors. Don't believe it went all the way to the firewall, just to the body of the car.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 85f-bird
hey stage 20, what'd u do for your tach and your speedometer? my tach works, but is off ( i can guage it still pretty well for speed) and my speedo well, it rests on the zero mark....
i run a 91-92 camaro tailshaft mounted vss, and i have it ran strait to the speedo wire on the cluster.
its accurate.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:38 PM

Car: '91 vert RS, '82 Z28
Engine: TBI 305, TPI 350
Transmission: Auto, 5 speed
TPIROC any progress made with your install?
Old 02-11-2006, 12:35 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by IROC_5796
TPIROC any progress made with your install?
No, sadly, none at all; I haven’t touched the car in about a year now (criminal, I know). Even though I’ve done the nitty gritty part of wiring to the factory ECM, it’s unlikely I’ll even be using it! If I don’t choose to have a chip burned for X modifications, I’ll be using a different harness altogether meaning 1 of 2 things; I’ll manually wire all the gauges up (no biggie using engine sensors, and VSS), or just use the dash but with a full AutoMeter set in place of the factory dials.

So this may be end for any technical input I have as far as electrical goes, but I sill plan on using the dash and door panels, so I’ll definitely post that! Once I finish my Cadillac's 504, I really want to get the interior into the car since I finished painting the floor over a year ago.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts
Car: 92 camaro RS
Engine: LSA
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: TNT 8.8 wavetrac 3.73
Originally Posted by shortbed454
when i bought my dash it came with a metel bar/bracket but im not to sure where it is supposed to mount.
wher does it connect to the dash/firewall.
dope i think i got ripped on my 4th gen dash i didn't get a metal bracket with mine can i get around this some how? i have ls1 gauges witch wires need to be spliced together to make the didital odometer work?
Old 03-21-2006, 01:18 AM
Supreme Member

just go to the yards and pull yourself a support bracket from another 4th gen dash...if you tried hard enough, you might be able to mod your 3rd gen unit to use...but i'd just advise getting the one from the 4th gen...sad part is, you'll have to go through all the trouble of pulling the dash out, which is very enjoyable in a stock 4th gen car.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Supreme Member

ok i think im going to try something that no one has tryed on here yet maybe? my 4th gen dash is not in the best shape don't even think i could get it mount up so im going to remount the stock dash then cut the crap out of it then slide the 4th gen over it and use some epoxy of silcon to bond them together as they sit right now the 4th gen fits over the stock dash with no mods done to it yet so with some work and taking my time should turn out ok
Old 03-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by obeymybird
ok i think im going to try something that no one has tryed on here yet maybe? my 4th gen dash is not in the best shape don't even think i could get it mount up so im going to remount the stock dash then cut the crap out of it then slide the 4th gen over it and use some epoxy of silcon to bond them together as they sit right now the 4th gen fits over the stock dash with no mods done to it yet so with some work and taking my time should turn out ok
OMG!
PLEASE!
NO!

its very simple to do and has been done a million times.
i have no clue how you are gonna make it look good, but the 4th gen dash is about the most simple dash swap you can do. sure nothing fits, but its all right there laid out. only a lil cutting and bracket making neccessary.
good luck!
Old 03-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z

I second that Please do not do this!! But dont hijack this post please, make a new post for your idea.

Jason
Old 03-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Supreme Member

so you think i should just stick to put in the 4th gen dash i will try i still got to get my wiring figured out yet but i have to get my rear sway bar on before i start the dash just waiting for a nice day i don't know my new dash is just in pretty poor shape the right side mount in broke off and there is no metel braket thats just some of the stuff wrong with it
Old 03-31-2006, 05:14 PM
Supreme Member

anyone know what color wire in the 4th gen gauge harness is for the volted gauge i didn't see it covered in this theard?
Old 04-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Supreme Member

anyone know what color wire in the 4th gen gauge harness is for the volted gauge i didn't see it covered in this theard?
The volt gauge just gets power from the cluster itself - as in when it receives +12v from IGN, that's the voltage input it uses... nifty/easy, eh?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:43 AM

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70
Originally Posted by stage20
what year is the guage cluster you are using, this is a BIG part of the conversion.

i can get you a schematic of the plug, and you can hardwire everything yourself. all you need is a few of the correct sensors and a lil creativity. so all the stuff works.
there are bugs with anything, but its not required to have a complete harness if you are just wanting the gauges themselves to work properly.
ive got a carbed motor in my ride and all my gauges work fine with my ls1 dash swap.
good luck, LMK if you have any Q's
I have a 1989 irocz and im putting in a 2000 camaro dash and a 1999 z28 cluster. what will i need to get everything working. wiring diagrams and hvacs.
thanks
darin
Old 04-20-2006, 01:14 PM

v6 v8 tach

when i purchased my cluster for my firebird dash, i did not know i was getting a v6 cluster and know im working on the wiring. does anyone know if i can run any typ of resistor inline from the coil to the tach so that my tach will red correct. i know it would be easy to just get a new cluster, but im just about out of funds and all i need to do is finish the wiring and i will be good to go. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Supreme Member

Since it operates on a pulse signal, I'm not sure if there is a simple way - I've got an old 4-6-8 tach dissected I'll take a look at for you... If you're in a pinch, just use it "as-is" knowing it's not accurate until you can acquire a V8 setup - it WILL work, it just will read higher than actual (registering 2 more sparks per revolution than it's calibrated for).
Old 04-20-2006, 02:06 PM

that would be cool. i know that when you purchase an aftermarket tach they have dip switches so you can set it up for 4 6 or 8 cyl. i just thought that it changed the siginal by routing it through diff. resistors and that i could do the same.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:43 PM

Car: 91 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 4L60
Ok, kind of back from the dead here. I'm putting a dash from a 95 Bird in my 91 Z28. I understand that if a 4th gen v6 cluster is used, it will have to be calibrated for a v8. How do I do that?
Old 04-22-2006, 02:04 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Slepewesel
I understand that if a 4th gen v6 cluster is used, it will have to be calibrated for a v8. How do I do that?
You're in the same pickle as shortbed... I got nowhere fast with my useless (apart and broken) Autometer tach regarding cylinder selection. I did find this, but since the 4th gen technology is newer, the article is useless... BUT, I found a solution from Dakota Digital; the SGI-8 WILL make it work, but for the cost you could nab a V8 cluster for about the same
Old 04-22-2006, 08:17 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by tpiroc
You're in the same pickle as shortbed... I got nowhere fast with my useless (apart and broken) Autometer tach regarding cylinder selection. I did find this, but since the 4th gen technology is newer, the article is useless... BUT, I found a solution from Dakota Digital; the SGI-8 WILL make it work, but for the cost you could nab a V8 cluster for about the same
agreed. the dakota box is just one more piece and a few connections to the puzzle.
the v8 cluster would be cheaper, as parts are easier to find than in the past.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Monte Carlo
Engine: Blown 489
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 9" 370s
Originally Posted by tpiroc
Alright folks, as mentioned above I spend a lot of time working with this thing to plop it in just right. Before showing the results I’ll show what I modified to get what I believe to be a good fit.

Pictured below shows where the 3rd gen bracket was (outlined in red). A Dremel was used to remove the bracket. I should also note that the vertical portion of the bracket needed to be bent towards the center of the car to allow the dash to clear it and not hang on it. That was a big problem for a while and caused the passenger side to sit way too high;

Here’s a close up of the cut bracket. Outlined in red was where the bracket used to be;

This pic shows a little rougher cut, but the same region of material was removed as shown in red. Shown in GREEN is the bolt that no one seems to tangle with. Well, I removed some material from the backside of the dash and got it to rest there NATURALLY without forcing it. All four bolt holes rest naturally along the firewall lip, and also, the U-Shaped piece that bolts in with the driveline WAS used and not removed.

A little harder to see what’s going on here, but two things are. On the bottom, a U shaped notch was made to clear the 3rd gen bracket, and it slid into place. Above, the dotted outline shows where material was framing the 4th gen fuse panel. The solid lines show where more material was removed to allow the dash to sit further towards the firewall.

Alright, it’s still a big mess as I’ve not tucked any wires away yet, and still need to acquire the top pad, glovebox door, outer radio bezel, and driver’s side lower kick panel, BUT the hard part is done. I also made a custom gauge panel that took a couple days, however don’t have the other gauge, so I put an old POS gauge in (shown with red X) to temporarily fill the hole;

Sorry the pic is so dark; hopefully you get the idea;

Here’s all the better of a shot I managed to get of the gauge panel I made;

What do you guys think?

As far as the instruments go I will either get silver faced gauges or a 94-96 set (no yellow numbers), any recommendations?
i have a question, the first few pictures, the brackets in the corner by the winshield, yours looks WAY different then mine, mine stock looks like what you did after you cut it? i have an 86 f'bird anyone know?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:32 PM

Car: '91 Firebird
This is how I am modifying my 4th gen AC controls. The 3rd gen setup has 5 wires, but the 4th gen only has 3. If you take the switch apart you will find crop circle looking things. I designed a new "crop circle" to work with the 5 wire system. (The 3rd gen "crop circle" would not work because it is missing the mix setting and does not turn 180 degrees).

After doing a continuity test on the 3rd gen AC control I found the following wires cross at their appropriate settings (based off the letter on the harness):
OFF: none
AC (NORM): A+B ; C+D+E
AC (MAX): A+B ; C+D+E
AC (BI-LEV): A+B ; C+D+E
VENT: D+E
FLOOR: D+E
DEFROST: C+D+E
For the 4th gen mix setting I mimicked the wiring for defrost.

The rotating piece, in gold, is another piece that must be fabricated. The rotating piece from the 3rd and 4th gen switch will not work. The overall size and shape is from the 4th gen switch, but the jumpers are from a 3rd gen switch. Unfortunately the 3rd gen switch only has 3 of these jumpers, but 4 are needed for this setup. I could not find any way to make this work with only 3 jumpers.

I will post pictures of the finished product and the CAD file later after I get everything finished.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:52 PM

Car: 1992 Jade Green---Trans Am Converti
Looks good, but I think you just wasted a lot of time. I'm not sure what vaccum controller you got or if you didn't get all the pieces to it, but every 4th gen vaccum controller I've had (93,96,99, & 00) all had SIX hoses coming out of it. 5 hook up to the 5 3rd gen ones and the 6th (mix) you just cap off.

Post some pics so we can see what went wrong.

Kevin D.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by shr00m
Looks good, but I think you just wasted a lot of time. I'm not sure what vaccum controller you got or if you didn't get all the pieces to it, but every 4th gen vaccum controller I've had (93,96,99, & 00) all had SIX hoses coming out of it. 5 hook up to the 5 3rd gen ones and the 6th (mix) you just cap off.

Post some pics so we can see what went wrong.

Kevin D.
I'm not talking about vacuum controls. I'm talking about the wiring for the AC.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Faded
I'm not talking about vacuum controls. I'm talking about the wiring for the AC.
Sorry, got confused for a bit. Mainly because you would be the first person I've heard of that had to go through this. I checked the diagrams, C,D,E match up to the three wires for the 4th gen. A is ground, and B I can find absolutely no reference to.

Obvisouly A & B short together when the AC is needed, but C to E is what actualy tells the compressor to run. I think most either leave A & B alone or just short them together.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing people fabricate stuff to make it a 'true' converted controller. But it just seems like a lot of work that's not needed.

Kevin D.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by shr00m
Sorry, got confused for a bit. Mainly because you would be the first person I've heard of that had to go through this. I checked the diagrams, C,D,E match up to the three wires for the 4th gen. A is ground, and B I can find absolutely no reference to.

Obvisouly A & B short together when the AC is needed, but C to E is what actualy tells the compressor to run. I think most either leave A & B alone or just short them together.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing people fabricate stuff to make it a 'true' converted controller. But it just seems like a lot of work that's not needed.

Kevin D.
I like knowing that the setup is going to work 100%, no shortcuts. I'm also an expert in Autocad so this isn't very hard. It would be much more difficult to do without CAD.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:47 PM

Sounds good to me! Get those pics up when you're finished. If I had Autocad experience plus small fabrication abilities, I would have probably done things different too!

Kevin D.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:47 PM

Ok, new questions about wiring up a 4th gen cluster.

I'm putting a cluster from a 94 Firebird in my 91 Z28. Did some mock wiring today (didnt want to solder anything till I KNOW it will work ...), and I have the "typical" wires from the 4th gen cluster plug left over leading to no where. TCS, Coolant level, "the thin red wire", and such.

Using my service manual for the 91 Z, and info from ALLDATA and this site, I have things wired up. 4 minor issues now ..

1. No SES light on cluster when key is turned on. ???
2. Now when I re-connect the battery, my brake lights are on for some reason.
3. Suddenly my fuel pump isnt priming. Tried to start the car and heard no whine of the pump. Cranked it for a few seconds, oil pressure gauge went up, shut it off, then I heard the pump whining. Ran like a champ 2 days ago when I parked it. Any ideas??
4. Each of the cluster plugs from the 91 have 2 ground wires. The 4th gen cluster plug has one. Do I run all 4 of those ground wires into the 1 on the 4th gen?

Brian

Last edited by Slepewesel; 05-27-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:56 PM

1. No SES light on cluster when key is turned on. ???
2. Now when I re-connect the battery, my brake lights are on for some reason.
3. Suddenly my fuel pump isnt priming. Tried to start the car and heard no whine of the pump. Cranked it for a few seconds, oil pressure gauge went up, shut it off, then I heard the pump whining. Ran like a champ 2 days ago when I parked it. Any ideas??
4. Each of the cluster plugs from the 91 have 2 ground wires. The 4th gen cluster plug has one. Do I run all 4 of those ground wires into the 1 on the 4th gen?

Brian
1.) Check and make sure the bulb isn't burnt out.
2.) I had the same problem. When I took the dash out the plastic threads on the switch on the brake pedal got stripped and was backing out causing it to stay on all the time. A new brake switch is only like $10 at autozone.
3.) My car was running weird the first time I started it with my new dash too. I discovered that I missed hooking up a ground wire that was below the steering column. You may want to check for something like this.
4.) A ground is a ground. You can hook up just one or all of them. It won't make any difference.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:57 PM

1.) Check and make sure the bulb isn't burnt out.
2.) I had the same problem. When I took the dash out the plastic threads on the switch on the brake pedal got stripped and was backing out causing it to stay on all the time. A new brake switch is only like $10 at autozone.
3.) My car was running weird the first time I started it with my new dash too. I discovered that I missed hooking up a ground wire that was below the steering column. You may want to check for something like this.
4.) A ground is a ground. You can hook up just one or all of them. It won't make any difference.
1. How often the simple solutions elude us ....
2. Simple enough, i'll take a look at it later
3. Ah yes, I think I know which one you're talking about. 2 wires going into one thing (brain fart, put a bolt thru it, grounded) on the underside of the dash on the driver's side?
4. Ok, so I can hook up one of the 4 ground wires from the 91 harness into the 4th gen plug, and I'll be ok?

Oh, also, earlier when I was testing things I went to disconnect the positive cable from the battery again and it felt quite warm. Any ideas on what could be causing that?

Thanks Faded.

Last edited by Slepewesel; 05-27-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:10 AM

3. Ah yes, I think I know which one you're talking about. 2 wires going into one thing (brain fart, put a bolt thru it, grounded) on the underside of the dash on the driver's side?
4. Ok, so I can hook up one of the 4 ground wires from the 91 harness into the 4th gen plug, and I'll be ok?

Oh, also, earlier when I was testing things I went to disconnect the positive cable from the battery again and it felt quite warm. Any ideas on what could be causing that?

Thanks Faded.
3. Yah that's it. I'm not sure what it's called either, but it has uhh... teeth on it... sorta. I bolted it to the new 4th gen dash brace.

4. I don't remember having any third gen wires left over on my swap, but I have a Firebird. There were a couple wires left over on the 4th gen cluster though, like the shift light. Camaro wiring might be different. I don't remember how many ground wires I had to hook up. But either way, as long as every ground is hooked up on the cluster it shouldn't matter if you have any left over on the thirdgen wiring.

As for the battery cable, it is in an engine bay. Engine bays tend to be warm. But if you only had only had it running for a moment, I'm not sure what make it warm...?
Old 05-28-2006, 07:32 AM

As for the battery cable, it is in an engine bay. Engine bays tend to be warm. But if you only had only had it running for a moment, I'm not sure what make it warm...?
No no no, didnt have the car running at all. Just recnnected the battery so I could turn on headlights and such and check out the gauges for a few mins then dis connected the bat again. The post was pretty warm, dunno why. Thanks for the help though.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:21 PM

Ok, some more testing.

I replaced the SES bulb with one I know is good. Still no SES light on when key is turned on.

Also, I have 2 wires from the 4th gen plug I dont know where they go. One is A13 - Orange - "Power feed from courtesy fues 8" and the other is A14 - Red - "Generator output indicator control". I dont have anything in the 91 service manual that matches these descriptions. Any help?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4th Gen Wiring; Good Progress + Info!