Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Grant challenger wheel install....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: 383 chevy
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 10-bolt, posi, 3.42 ratio
Grant challenger wheel install....

I've got a black challenger steering wheel that i got at autozone for 30 bucks.... ( i work there). it looks and feels great in the car, but i need to figure out how to mount the damn horn button. what keeps it from popping out of the steering wheel? i have a spring, a contact plate, and the button. do i need to order an actual grant kit for my car? (82 T/A) or will this BS kit autozone has work? so far, i have a working wheel, but i have to ground a wire for my horn to work. any help would be great.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:26 PM

this thing died pretty quietly, mainly cuz I've been working on getting my motor back in the car, but i really need to know how to get this damn horn button to stay on the steering wheel. anyone have a grant wheel? I'll try and take some pics of it, i know i've seen a couple of guys running these wheels and custom gauges..... just need to know how the horn works!
Old 05-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 94 Z28
Engine: LT1 w/ headers, catback, CAI, tune
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23s
I had the grant install kit (#3196 that Autozone sold when I got my wheel), but it still didn't fit just right with part of the horn assembly, so I ended up disabling the horn when I did the install. I've attached a scan of the side of the box with the contents of the install kit shown.

It has a little plate holds the middle button on, the brown thing on the bottom right. The silver hub pulls down on the steering shaft, then the black cosmetic plate goes on IIRC, then the wheel itself. Then the brown plate is put on with the three bolts. You'll notice the bolts have unthreaded areas near the top that serve as spacers, so that plate can slide in and out on them. The spring goes in the center, then you press the horn button in and it snaps down on that plate (if you look at the underside of the horn button you'll see it has little dimples around the buttom edge, that snap over the edges of the brown plate). The spring pushes the horn button and that brown plate out torward you, thus you can push it down and it theoretically works the horn when you push it in and it makes contact.

The problem with the actual horn that I had was with the silver hub, I seem to recall that when I had it mounted so my wheel was perfectly centered when the wheels were straight ahead, the hole that part of the horn assembly sticks through didn't line up, so I just removed it. Perhaps that was unique to my car or something, beats me. I probably could have jury-rigged the horn to work but didn't care enough about it...

I'm going off memory so hopefully everything was right. If the install kit you got doesn't have the right parts then I don't know how the heck you'll attach the stuff...

Pic:
Attached Thumbnails Grant challenger wheel install....-grant.jpg  

Last edited by Ray87Z; 05-15-2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:35 PM

that sounds right. sounds like it wil actually work. the instructions were pretty vague. I had the same problem youdid with the holes not lining up. I disconnected the steering knuckle and realigned it so it would all work right. I'll try this. thanks again!!

(p.s. - does the metal part of the little brown disc face up or down??)
Old 05-16-2005, 11:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Hawks 8.8
My grant horn has two contacts on the back...one positive that goes to your existing horn wire, and the ground.

I used a short peice of wire to ground out the switch between the mounting adapter and the wheel.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:53 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: Yes
Engine: Many
Transmission: Quite a few
well, the brown ring should have a metal ring on one side. that goes down towards the wheel. Then the bolts go on, and the spring centers on the shaft and nut. then you plug in the horn lead to the small terminal on the top side.

heres the tough part. If you look close, the brown thing should have 3 or 4 (i think 4 ) small notches in it. If you look at the horn button, it should have 4 small dents along the outer edge, which should line up with the brown ring. So you put the spring on the shaft, line up the horn button 'dents' with the brown rings notches, push it on, then carefully twist into place so that the logo is straight when the wheel is straight.

the spring holds the button tight to the brown ring and keeps it from spinning, and holds the ring away from the wheel, where the contact will make the horn go off.