Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Newbie here. first post

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie here. first post

Just bought my first 3rd gen.... I've had vettes, cobra's and 4th gens but I never could get the thought of the first IROC I ran into during my high school years... I had my but handed to me by an IROC while I was driving a 6.6 TA, so I had to have one... I'm going through my mid-life crisis...I want to know if there is a way to adjust the spoiler on an 87 IROC... It's in line going across the car, the middle spoiler is setting higher on one side then the other.... I didn't see a tech report in my search so I thought I'd ask... Another thing I have noticed is that the 3rd gen is a rattle trap isn't it....any pointers on that?? By the way it's an 87 350 t-top car.... It's an decent shape for a 20 year car... Thanks
Old 05-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5 - 5 Speed Standard
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Re: Newbie here. first post

Originally Posted by uloozer
Another thing I have noticed is that the 3rd gen is a rattle trap isn't it....any pointers on that??
Yeah, don't buy the convertible!!!

Welcome! A lot of the rattles is due to frame flexing (they aren't the strongest), so anything you can do that would help strengthen the frame will also help reduce the rattles (and improve handling as well). Things like strut tower braces and subframe connectors can make a difference. Also worn-out factory rubber bushings can have a small degree of effect as well.

Another thing would be to determine what and where the rattles are coming from and to try to eliminate them at the source (if possible). After many years things can have a tendency to work their way loose. Screws can back-off or go missing, etc.

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: candy blue 85 z28
Engine: 305 tpi LB9
Transmission: 700r4 crazy beefed up one
Axle/Gears: ones with teeth
Re: Newbie here. first post

best way to stop all rattles, gut the interior, and line it all with dynamat or brown bread, and do it all inside doors floor roof trunk ect,

and then or before add some sub frame connectors. it will be solid and quiet.

jeff