Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tint

When I bought my car, the previous owner had the windows tinted, and then had the tint removed. The problem is I want to tint them, but there are still some pieces of the tint on the windows and I need to get them off first. Does anyone have any good tips on how to remove tint? Thanks.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:13 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 406, 305
Transmission: TH350, 700R4
Re: Window Tint

At walmart or some other stores they have window tint adhesive remover which works well with a razor blade, but if you have a defrost back window and have to remove some from there watch out, i'm not sure how you do it without messing it up
Old 07-17-2007, 05:23 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: TPI 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 BOLT POSI 3.83
Re: Window Tint

to remove the tint on the back window wait until it is a nice warm day - get a couple of black garbage bags or black plastic drop cloth on the roll from home depot. You will also need a spray bottle and ammonia (straight ammonia no diluting) get a breathing mask to ensure that you stay concious while spraying. Spray the inside of the window liberally with the ammonia and cover it with the black plastic (the moisture will make it stick) make sure the back window is facing the sun and let it sit for about an hour. The key in removing it is making sure that you get the tint AND the adhesive layer to peel up together or you will be in for double the work. Use a blade to start the peeling at the edges and then slowly pull on the peices that come up. Use the ammonia spray on any areas that seem to be resisting while you are peeling it off. And before you know it you have wasted a day and are half way through. It is a huge pain in the a** but there is no way around it. Jsut be patient and it will all be off and defogger lines in tact. Make sure to thouroughly clean the windows when you are done and if you are going to be tinting soon after don't use standard window cleaner make a solution of baby shampoo and water and soft lint free cloths to get the window clean. Good luck man