Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Cant pull windshield from car, need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Z28 Crossfire injection
Engine: 305 5.0 litre crossfire
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: not sure, but it has POSI
Cant pull windshield from car, need help

Hi so i tried to pull a windshield from one camaro cuz i wana place it on my original camaro. Both are 3rd gens. Only problem is, the plastic strip that surrounds the window/edge wont come off no matter what, its dry and doesnt bend, just chips off in little pieces. i have to get that off before i can get under it with the windshield tool to cut the glue.. Anyone else have this problem and know how to do it?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 145 Likes on 79 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am
Engine: LSA
Transmission: T56 AWD
Axle/Gears: 8.8 4.10
Re: Cant pull windshield from car, need help

Mine crumbled out when I painted it

Use a small screwdriver but be very careful around the glass so you dont snag it and pry a chip out of it
Old 08-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a thought. I know in some states if you can't see through the windshield and it's unsafe to drive your auto insurance will cover it. Mass. is like this,but up in NH there's like a 400.00 deductible.

I'd look into it.

Tony
Old 08-03-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 84 TA,69 camaro,81 vet 92 vet
Engine: 400
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:73

Just cut the rubber away. It snaps on the edge of the glass and is glued in with the windshield. The way I remove the windshield (after rubber is removed) is take a steak knife and slide up under glass from inside very slow and easy. Do not pry up glass will break. When you see knife point sticking out top outside remove knife put an E sting from a guitar and slide it through hole with knife, from inside out. Now use the string as a saw going around windshield. If you have t-tops you you should be able to do most yourself. It fastest with 2 people. Take your time. Slow and easy wins the race.
There 2 styles of rubber you can use to reinstall. The one that slips over the edge of windshield and installs with the windshield. The other just pops in after the windshield is installed. The after install I have had trouble getting it stright so I like the first option.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryL
Just cut the rubber away. It snaps on the edge of the glass and is glued in with the windshield. The way I remove the windshield (after rubber is removed) is take a steak knife and slide up under glass from inside very slow and easy. Do not pry up glass will break. When you see knife point sticking out top outside remove knife put an E sting from a guitar and slide it through hole with knife, from inside out. Now use the string as a saw going around windshield. If you have t-tops you you should be able to do most yourself. It fastest with 2 people. Take your time. Slow and easy wins the race.
There 2 styles of rubber you can use to reinstall. The one that slips over the edge of windshield and installs with the windshield. The other just pops in after the windshield is installed. The after install I have had trouble getting it stright so I like the first option.
I worked at a junkyard years ago and that's how we pulled them,by using piano wire and two people.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

To cut the moulding off just slide under it with a utility knife and cut the top off. Then you can get under the glass with your glass knife (except across the bottom) and cut it out. Like others have said ... piano wire works good. Unfortunately if I was a betting man I would say the odds are very good that you will break the glass. Even pro's don't always get it out in one piece.