Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Wanted opinions and info on hatch window

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanted opinions and info on hatch window

Some little low-life smashed my hatch window on my 83 trans am. I did have the package policy so it was 50$, my insurance company was ready to write it off if a window could not be found. I have not done the interior yet but have put around 8000$ last spring into it. So naturally im angry. But the glass company which has been doing glass before i was even born said they had one in stock so great everything is good. So I tell them to take their time dont rush it as the differential is blown and cant drive it anyway ..."only original part left to break" ,im saving for the 3000$ posi.

So anyway I get the car back 3 weeks later and I just noticed my new paint on the rear end of the car is chipped and scratched all over . Also there is now a light for the brakes on the rear window which looks very ugly and the paint is faded not matching the 1 year old paint on the car. And what looks like a remote car starter thing with the antennas and wires broke off on the inside.

Now my question is what do I do?, all I know is im gonna call them tomorrow when they open and flip out, the car was towed home I wasnt there to pick it up or I would not have accepted it.

Can you guys give me info like does that ugly light even come factory on an 83 trans am? any options?

Am I in the "right" to be pissed off and demand a re-do?

The reason I chose them was I thought they were professional and didn't need to be told what to do, but I guess in this day and age nobody can do anything right.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4
Re: Wanted opinions and info on hatch window

It's most likely a 1986 rear hatch and you can probably prove this because there is most likely a three panel electrical connector on the hatch that you don't have on your car. The rear light was mandated by law before yours was built.

The '86 hatches are less desirable and therefore was probably just sitting around because no one wanted it.

Try to get your deck lid back before saying anything as that will match your paint and can be transferred to the new glass. Local junk yards often sell these cheap (Ie. $30 Amer.) So look around if they're trying to screw around with you.

Don't flip out. Prove your case and work with them as much as possible to correct things.

Also 1989 rear light:
Old 08-26-2009, 11:54 PM

You know you are right i need to work on this aswell, I will calmly ask them to make the light go away and we will be good, it is another life lesson I will no longer trust anyone who works on my vehicle, I will from now be an extremly annoying customer as i will be thoughorly discussing work to be done and will now need to personally approve it before taking my vehicle.
This is my first car i held on to it for 9 years 60-70% restored in the last year. but i think this car has a curse i really do.
First the oil change guy took my d-temp plug out of my transmission and lost the clip inside tranny had to pull it out and apart.
the new engine has a tick not sure if its exhaust or valve.
blew the diff apart.
maaco did the worst paint job ever for 2500$ put 3500$ in bodywork and even had it primed for them and the paint still flaked off in a spot paint drips etc... they didnt even take the hood off to spray under it tape still left on the strongarms for the hood.And it comes back with electrical problems like no lights or gauge movement which they deny.
i am scared to take it back for warranty.
now this window. and this is all since last spring!

now as for the other 8 years i drove it maybe 8 months in total went thru 2 engines, 3 tranny rebuilds, 3 clutches, electrical and misc stuff.

I want to clean it and sell it i think, i dont know why i put money in this car i should put my money into new sentimental value.

U figure it is cursed lol i wasnt that hard on it?

Also thanks it looks like the 86 one and it looks like a broken antenna type thing on the inside so ugly it makes me hate my car, that window must be hard to do since the spoiler is attahed to it it wont be easy to just swap out something they just done.

Last edited by DirtyCanadian; 08-26-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:03 PM

Well i talked to them today and they deny any damage done during the install ofcourse. And as for the wrong window my insurance company told them NOT to install the one they had set aside for me and ordered them to install the wrong ugly 86 hatch window from their salvage yard. So now i have to make two claims according to my insurance one for paint damage and one for the window a "post claim". I am going to try to not have to pay the deductible again as im pretty sure that window isnt even legal as i have a brake light that is not hooked up someone may think i just have bright tail lights.

Last edited by DirtyCanadian; 08-27-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock

Sorry to hear about that! Like was said earlier--maintain composure.Be the better person. Good luck with this.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:17 PM

Car: 1988 Firebird - 1998 Z28
Engine: 2.8 - LS1

Ya def stay on them about it. just dont lose your cool.. lol. i probably would.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

When it comes to stuff like this I'd just go do it on your own. Insurance companies woudln't exist if they didnt screw over people.

These cars are a dime a dozen in scrap yards and you can find a correct hatch pretty easy.