Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Correct touch-up paint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am 'vert
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 bolt
Correct touch-up paint?

Hey guys, I have a 91 T/A 'vert that has pretty crappy paint in some areas. Since the season for driving these things is gonna be over in a month or so, I'm not gonna bother painting it professionally until spring. The clearcoat on the nose is peeling off, so for now I figured I'd buy a bra to put over it. But the paint is faded/fallen apart on the trunk and top of the rear bumper (and some punks keyed the rear passenger quarter and door when the last owner still had it), and I was wondering what the correct "code" or name for the proper touch up paint would be so I can make it look semi-decent for the rest of this season. I believe that the paint color on my car is called "Polo Green." It's a very dark green. Sorta "pine" green. Here's a picture of my car:

I know it won't be show-quality with touch up paint but I just want it to look better for now.
Is there a special website/store that sells this paint? And I'd like it to be in a spray can too.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:15 AM

Re: Correct touch-up paint?

Almost any website selling touchup paint will have a link to a factory paint code decoder/list (try DRCOLORCHIP.COM). Also, I have had great experience with Towerr paint in Oregon (I think website is Towerpaint.com) - they will custom fill large spary cans with any year/color/code in either lacquer or enamel - I have bought these for probably 8-9 cars over the years and they are good qualtiy and almost a perfect match, easy to spray and buff.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Supreme Member

towerpaint.com seems good, but is there a list of factory paint codes that I can get? I need the paint code for my car. Is there a chance that it's somewhere on the car?
Old 09-01-2009, 05:55 PM

Your RPO codes should be on a white sticker inside the console - on 91 it should be on the side of the console storage box - if you are in the driver seat and open the console you should see it staring back at you : ) If it is there the codes tell you everything that the factory anbd ASC built the car with - on the third gen.org home page there is an RPO decoder you can download to your PC, then you just enter each of the codes one at a time to get them "translated". If your RPO sheet is missing then just go to one of the 2 websites I had in my first email - guess I was not that clear - both have a link to color codes where you can check your year make model and it will give you the paint codes, I am sure there was only one green
Old 09-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by mikeiaz
Your RPO codes should be on a white sticker inside the console - on 91 it should be on the side of the console storage box - if you are in the driver seat and open the console you should see it staring back at you : ) If it is there the codes tell you everything that the factory anbd ASC built the car with - on the third gen.org home page there is an RPO decoder you can download to your PC, then you just enter each of the codes one at a time to get them "translated". If your RPO sheet is missing then just go to one of the 2 websites I had in my first email - guess I was not that clear - both have a link to color codes where you can check your year make model and it will give you the paint codes, I am sure there was only one green
Thank you very much!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:37 PM

If the build sheet is missing from the console try posting this question on the HISTORY/RESTORATION message board- someone will give you the right one. I think it is is WA9539 Medium Green Pearl.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Supreme Member

OK I posted this up in the history/restoration forum. Thanks for the tips! And I couldn't find the sticker you were talking about in the center console.