Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Quarter Panel Rust Repair?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2002 Trans Am WS6
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Quarter Panel Rust Repair?!?

I just got my camaro back and plan on just using it for a street car now and then so I'm not looking to make it show quality but want it to look nice. I had quarter panel rust fixed about 6 yrs ago and it has resurfaced in the same spot on one 1/4 (middle of the fender) and behind the rear fender on the other (different spot). I know a guy that can do body work for a reasonable price but what's the right answer here? Can i get small pieces and cut out the rust and weld in the new or should I just have him stabilize the rust and bondo it? I figure I can just get factory color matched spray cans for the paint.

I'll get pictures this weekend if they will help.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Quarter Panel Rust Repair?!?

Originally Posted by camaro_V6_Tuner
I just got my camaro back and plan on just using it for a street car now and then so I'm not looking to make it show quality but want it to look nice. I had quarter panel rust fixed about 6 yrs ago and it has resurfaced in the same spot on one 1/4 (middle of the fender) and behind the rear fender on the other (different spot). I know a guy that can do body work for a reasonable price but what's the right answer here? Can i get small pieces and cut out the rust and weld in the new or should I just have him stabilize the rust and bondo it? I figure I can just get factory color matched spray cans for the paint.

I'll get pictures this weekend if they will help.
If the rust came back you need to find out why. Is there more rust hidden behind the panel where the panel is rusting from the inside out, or was it just a poor repair the first time? Maybe it's a simple case of your regular routine causing more wear in that spot, or maybe you need to pay more attention to that spot when cleaning your car.

The only way to stop rust is to get rid of it. Sand it down to bare metal and go through the proper paint sealing steps you would use for bare metal applications. Different people will give you different advice on this and its going to vary from paint type to paint type.

Whether or not you need to cut and weld depends on the extent of the damage and bondo should never be used as more than a skim coat unless you want it to crack and see your repair wasted.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius; 12-07-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:18 AM

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 385
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt

Need pics. Being in the same spot, I'd guess that when they sanded the surface rust out they left small black specs of rust on the metal. I've seen this before. It will look good for a while but those black specks will come back as small bubbles at first then grow. 6 years sounds about right for time. Unless you had a rust hole then that's a different story. Just my personal experience.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:45 PM

Car: 2002 Trans Am WS6
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10

I'm pretty sure they're holes on both sides. Hopefully will have pics this weekend. Lots going on right now.