Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Sherwin Williams vs PPG

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro Convertible
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4
Sherwin Williams vs PPG

Starting to do all the due diligence on getting the paint done and Ive spoken to several local shops all split down the middle with some going with sherwin and others PPG. Prior to that end of things I was going to go with PPG as Ive just heard good things while researching. However, most of that research was in old posts, so... Which is better? Considering I would use the high end of either one.

With that said I also need suggestions on the best etching primer and primer/sealer as im going back to bare metal (ground up)

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: Sherwin Williams vs PPG

I've shot both, and both are good. I used SW Ultra 7000 years ago and liked it. I also used the Deltron system from PPG. Both will give you excellent results if applied properly. Can't go wrong with either. Look up AutoColor and Dupont as well if their available in your area.

Same goes for etch primers. Pick one from any recognized company and you can't loose. Look at Marhyde and Evercoat for two part primers. They may be more reasonable than the paint manufacturers and are compatable with most. I'm on an Evercoat Uro-fill lately. Easy to apply, sandable, and you can get it for bare metal applications. $100 per gallon including the hardener from my local guy. I've also used Marhyde 2K and liked it. It's a bit harder to sand, IMO, but good nevertheless.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro Convertible
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4

Originally Posted by haps
I've shot both, and both are good. I used SW Ultra 7000 years ago and liked it. I also used the Deltron system from PPG. Both will give you excellent results if applied properly. Can't go wrong with either. Look up AutoColor and Dupont as well if their available in your area.

Same goes for etch primers. Pick one from any recognized company and you can't loose. Look at Marhyde and Evercoat for two part primers. They may be more reasonable than the paint manufacturers and are compatable with most. I'm on an Evercoat Uro-fill lately. Easy to apply, sandable, and you can get it for bare metal applications. $100 per gallon including the hardener from my local guy. I've also used Marhyde 2K and liked it. It's a bit harder to sand, IMO, but good nevertheless.
Im not sure why Gmail isnt showing up half of the replies to my posts...

I actually decided on the Dupont, the color I want, however, only comes in their waterborne Cromax line here in California at $700 a gallon. So the supplies will be about $400 more than I originally thought (via PPG urethane)
Old 03-11-2012, 09:10 AM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Have you looked into Sikkens? They have an outstanding product.